× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware 6.10.5 web interface broken in final release

StephenB
Guru

@GWB3 wrote:

I have not had to move back in a firmware update.  I have 6.10.5 installed and need to re-install 6.10.3

Within the firmware where would I find the command to re-install 6.10.3?  Sorry but this is the first time I have had to consider this.

There's a post here that might help:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta/Login-loop-av-6-10-5-Beta1-upgrade-Readynas212/m-p/20...

If you have ssh access, you don't need to boot up in tech support mode, you can just use wget, etc.

Message 51 of 71
GWB3
Guide

Thanks

Message 52 of 71
GWB3
Guide

I found a way to stop the Admin signon cycle on my four RN102 NAs units.  Why this works is not clear at all to me.

I log on to my NAS units, I see the main page and "quickly" click on Settings.

One the next page I quickly click on the arrow shown under the Check for Updates heading.

I select Beta.  For reasons unknown to me this stops the cycling of the admin signon.

Once it stops the cycling of the admin signon I then click on the Install Firmware button and browse to my desktop to select the 10.6.4 firmware file I placed there.

On three of my units the above worked and on the fourth unit I had to try a number of times to get the cycling of the admin signon to stop by the same procedure described above.

In all four cases this was successful with no other modifications necessary.

Why this worked is not at all clear to me but I am glad to get these units back to a stable firmware 10.6.4.

Give it a shot and see if this works for you.

It took some time trying to click quickly but in the end it worked for me.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 53 of 71
StephenB
Guru

@GWB3 wrote:

I found a way to stop the Admin signon cycle on my four RN102 NAs units.  Why this works is not clear at all to me.

I log on to my NAS units, I see the main page and "quickly" click on Settings.

One the next page I quickly click on the arrow shown under the Check for Updates heading.

I select Beta.  For reasons unknown to me this stops the cycling of the admin signon.

In all four cases this was successful with no other modifications necessary.

Why this worked is not at all clear to me but I am glad to get these units back to a stable firmware 10.6.4.

Thx for sharing.  The NAS does automatically check for updates when you log in, and changing the setting does change what it looks for.  

It'd be interesting to know what setting you were using before.  My own NAS are all set to "stable" and I have not seen the issue on three NAS.  I'm wondering if you were using that, or "long-term support"

Looping in @JohnCM_S and @Marc_V as this might be useful info for the Netgear folks who are looking into this.

Message 54 of 71
GWB3
Guide

I normally have my setting to "Stable".  The momentary change I made was simply to try to change soemthing on the screen that might interupt the signon loop.  So changing that setting from stable to beta was only a temporary change that interupted the signon loop in some way.

Once I was able to interupt the signon loop and before I signed off I changed that setting back to Stable.  Then did the firmware update on the right side of same page.  I found firmware 6.10.4 on the Netgear site for the RN102 hardware.

Message 55 of 71
StephenB
Guru

@GWB3 wrote:

I normally have my setting to "Stable". 

Which means that it's not directly linked to that setting (since I also use it, and haven't experienced the problem).

Message 56 of 71
ThoMei
Aspirant

I came to the same Problem when updating my RN102 to 6.10.5 today. Unfortunatly I didn't read this conversation before.

Chaning  |SETTINGS |CHECK FOR UPDATES  from Stable to Long-Term and back interupts the loop and I'm able to edit the admin page - up to the next log in.

It helps for the moment, but a sustainable solution to the problem by Netgear would be desirable.

Regards

Thomas

Message 57 of 71
GWB3
Guide

Were you able to re-install firmware 6.10.4 to at least get back to a stable configuration?

Message 58 of 71
btwixt
Guide

Additional info, possibly of some use in debugging:

Using Firefox on a Windows 7 machine which is on the same LAN as RN102,

go to ReadyCLOUD and click on the tiny "Admin Page" near the upper left of page.

My Firefox is configured to open links in new tab and this opens up the RN102 web interface

that behaves normally EXCEPT if left inactive long enough to time out normally

where it begins the "Connecting to the ReadyNAS Admin Page" loop again.

My 2 cents, FWIW.

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 59 of 71
SThomas63120
Aspirant

I was also having this issue.  It started doing the re-login loop a couple of days after I upgraded the firmware.  I was able to stop the looping by turning off the file search function on the main page quickly before it did a re-login.  After turning off the indexing I rebooted the ReadyNAS and I was able to login once and no more looping.  I quickly downgrade the firmware back to 6.10.4 and it works fine now.

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 60 of 71
Ozymandius
Aspirant

Just in case this is helpful - I logged in with a username/password other than admin, and didn't get the loop - i was able to then go back to 6.10.4

Message 61 of 71
Bell98
Guide

I encountered this problem days ago with 6.10.5. Used Firefox then Edge to get in but still got looping to Admin page. Nas is working fine on my network with automatic backups happening as scheduled, it's just the admin page I'm having troubles with. Readycloud is connecting. 

No Apps are installed but can see featured apps. I re-installed the OS to try and solve the looping and I got access to the admin page using default admin and password. Changed the password and set up password recovery, logged out logged in again the fault's back with the looping again. Reinstalled OS got in again, back to changing password as before, logged out. Logged in again - back to looping. Unit seems stable when logged in under OS reinstall so re-installed OS BUT this time didn't change anything. It's worked for days logging in and out under default login to check if it's working which it is. I'm waiting for update to repair this issue before changing anything again. Not a safe way to use it in a business situation but this is a domestic situation and no-one here would even know how to attempt a login to it never mind want to. 

Message 62 of 71
StephenB
Guru

I recommend doing another OS reinstall, and then downgrade to 6.10.4.  After that change your password.

Message 63 of 71
pichlerl
Aspirant

I updated the firmware on two RN102s to 6.10.5. Installed applications are SMB Plus and VPN Server. Both devices repeat the WEB interface reboot after installation in an infinite loop. I have tried logging in with Chrome, Mozilla, Edge, Opera browsers, same result. Finally, with Edge, I clicked on the Settings tab as soon as possible after logging in and in the window that popped up, I disabled automatic updates and performed a manual firmware rollback to 6.10.4. Both units are working flawlessly, waiting for the new, corrected version. https://kb.netgear.com/000062588/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-10-4

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 64 of 71
hr_sokolow
Aspirant

They have never done a properly functioning update yet. Every time you have to dance with a tambourine.

But your advice to click quickly on "Settings" and to select the "Beta" version helped!

You don't even need to go back to version 6.10.4. And that's how it works. At last!

MANY THANKS TO YOU FROM RUSSIA.
Hooray!

Message 65 of 71
StephenB
Guru

@hr_sokolow wrote:

They have never done a properly functioning update yet. 

The 6.10.5 hotfix solves this particular problem, so if your NAS can reach the internet you can safely update to 6.10.5.

Message 66 of 71
Bake
Aspirant

Glad it helped! I have decided that version 6.10.4 works well for I need so I will not continue to update the firmware any more.
Message 67 of 71
Bake
Aspirant

Yes, thanks for asking. I will simple stay with 6.10.4 for now.
Message 68 of 71
pdaly12
Aspirant

Similar problem here. However slightly different scenario.

My RN426 was running ReadyNasOS 6.10.3 and everything seemed fine for months.

Installed 6.10.4 and we assumed everything was fine, but after a few weeks we were starting to receive zero bytes on certain files.

We then installed 6.10.5 and was hoping the zero bytes issue would dissapear. It seemed much better as we did not experience zero bytes for a week, but then it started to plague us again and it was becoming worse. We assumed it was because we were saving files via Apple Macs on SMB, so we started using AFPS, but the issue still  continued. Occasionally the Readynas RN426 would dissapear and come back online. But we thought it was out iMacs. 

then a few days ago, our whole network died, all hard wired cabled devices were nowhere to be seen (we use a dedicated TP-Link Archer C8 wifi router connected to a WAN for internet, the Archer C8 broadcasts the DHCP network.) we discovered that all hardwired connections were dead, including the WAN connection. We left the router (had to go home) and when we arrived in teh office teh following day, the network was all working fine. However 4/5 hours later, it died again.  So we assumed that the Archer C8 router's ethernet card had died, as a result, I bought a new router and installed that.

So did that fix it... NO!

With a new router plugged in, all our devices were brought back online, and internet restored via the WAN. however we discovered that the ReadyNAS RN426 was coming online and then going offline a minute later. We also discovered a printer and one of our PC's doing the same (both share the same) 8 port ethernet switch. so we disconnected the PC from the network  and the ReadyNAS was still misbehaving.

So we've downgraded the firmware and everything is running as per normal.

Over the next few days, we'll assess the stability and maybe plug in the old router to see it was broken or whether it was the readynas affecting the whole network. 

Model: RN426|ReadyNAS 426 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 6-Bays
Message 69 of 71
basshead2k
Guide

I've been having issues with Readycloud app on iPhone8's not backing up media over the past few months...

Turns out this thread is related and rolling back to 6.10.4 fixed the errors of iphone media backups not working.

Here's my thread:

Solved: Re: ReadyCLOUD app not backing up iPhone/iPad - NETGEAR Communities

Message 70 of 71
RCSA77
Aspirant

I have two RN104s and it has taken 3 days of trial and error before this finally worked.

Many thanks to who ever originally posted it.

Here are the instructions for the ARM unit (RN102):

NB: (you MUST be ssh'ed in as 'root'):

cd /root
wget http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNASOS-6.10.4-arm.zip
unzip ReadyNASOS-6.10.4-arm.zip
echo /root/ReadyNASOS-6.10.4-arm.img > /etc/.flash_update
reboot

There is a hotfix that needs to be applied to that release and it will automatically be applied if your NAS settings permit hotfixes to be automatically applied... otherwise - do as you see fit.

Just ignore any further updates to 6.10.5 until they get their act together.

I will certainly be ignoring all updates for some time until they are tried and proven for a significant time interval.

This is what I tried many times some with different combinations before:

1. Install firmware to 6.10.4 via web login. I got a Commuication error.

2. Hard reset to Factory Defaults with hard drives removed. Failed with a do_exit+c48 and no response. Disconnected power to restart.

3. Hard Reset to Factory Defaults with hard drives inserted. Updated firmware to 6.10.5 Hot Fix.

4. USB firmware update. The RN104 updated firmware once and rebooted and then updated firmware a second time and the rebooted back to 6.10.5. I suspect that the first FW update was to 6.10.4 and then was overwritten by 6.10.5 held on the hard drives. But just guessing.

5. SSH was not enabled. Luckily I was able to enable SSH in between the login loops. Used MS Edge instead of Firefox to avoid login loops.

6. Used SSH to downgrade the firmware to 6.10.4 and all seem stable at the moment.

Note to Netgear:

The 6.10.5 Hot Fix 1 might have worked for some, but it is far from fixed for others.

It seems this problem has been around since May. It seems Netgear is asleep at the wheel............

Hope this info helps others who are still looking for a solution.

Message 71 of 71
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements