× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware Upgrade to 6.10.1 Loses DLNA/Media Server Capabilities

grahamneve
Aspirant

Firmware Upgrade to 6.10.1 Loses DLNA/Media Server Capabilities

Hi all, please excuse me if this has been covered earlier. I have been using an RN102 as a media server for around 5 years, streaming through various devices such as panasonic TVs etc. This has worked through all versions. Last week I upgraded to 6.10.1 and now the devices fail to find the RN102 media server in the devises list, removing one of the key features. How do I recover this? All the settings remain exactly the same (DLNA etc switched on). I have tried to switch to Plex but this seems very unreliable also. Any advise?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 11
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Firmware Upgrade to 6.10.1 Loses DLNA/Media Server Capabilities

Hi grahamneve,

Welcome to the Community!

Have you tried doing a rescan? You may do this by logging in to the NAS admin UI then go to System > Services > ReadyDLNA.

Regards

Message 2 of 11
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi grahamneve,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as a solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The NETGEAR community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 3 of 11
grahamneve
Aspirant

Hi, I tried the rescan and it did not resolve the issue. Since the upgrade no devices on the network can see the Readynas. I also disables and re-enabled the DLNA feature, which also failed to work.

Message 4 of 11
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi grahamneve,

Can you download the NAS system logs then provide it to us so we can check? You can upload it to a file-sharing site then send to me the download link via PM (private message).

Regards,

Message 5 of 11
Voyager62
Aspirant

Hey grahamneve, I had a similar problem in that my Nvidia Shield couldn't see either Netgear server. Even though ReadyDLNA was enabled, I wasn't able to stream anything to the Shield. I couldn't find an answer anywhere other than that the Shield only supports SMB 1, but this was already enabled in the SMB Plus settings.

What I finally discovered is that, under the SMB settings, "Legacy Windows Discovery" needs to be enabled for devices that don't support the newer discovery method in Windows 8 and above. See the attached screenshot. Give that a try and see if that solves your problem.

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 6 of 11
grahamneve
Aspirant

Been nearly 3 months now and no answer from Netgrear. Plex not working because the server is 'not powerful enough' to play the movie. Supprot form Netgear is non existant....keep escalating it but no courtesy of a reply. Appalling!

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 7 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@Voyager62 wrote:

... Nvidia Shield couldn't see either Netgear server. Even though ReadyDLNA was enabled, I wasn't able to stream anything to the Shield. ... What I finally discovered is that, under the SMB settings, "Legacy Windows Discovery" needs to be enabled ....

The Legacy Windows Discovery control is enabling the ability to discover and resolve the host name by systems not supporting WSD, the protocol related is NetBIOS, and it's IPv4 broadcast based. The Shield does require NetBIOS for SMB share/folder/file access.

This is completely unrelated to DLNA/UPnP AV infrastructure (DMS, DMC, DMR - digital media server/control/renderer) where the SSDP is used, a Multicast based protocol.

Message 8 of 11
Voyager62
Aspirant

The Legacy Windows Discovery control is enabling the ability to discover and resolve the host name by systems not supporting WSD, the protocol related is NetBIOS, and it's IPv4 broadcast based. The Shield does require NetBIOS for SMB share/folder/file access.

This is completely unrelated to DLNA/UPnP AV infrastructure (DMS, DMC, DMR - digital media server/control/renderer) where the SSDP is used, a Multicast based protocol.

I don't know why it took you 4 months to reply to my post, but whatever you're trying to say isn't true in my case. I HAD to enable Legacy Discovery for the Nvidia Shield to see my Netgear servers. There was no other option that worked, whether or not all your gibberish is true. I was replying to the OP about how I managed to get my RN214's to work with my Nvidia Shield, nothing else. If you don't need Legacy Discovery enabled, the kudos for you.

Message 9 of 11
schumaku
Guru

The point is that if you need the legacy discovery enabled that your Shield is using shared folder access (by SMB protocol) and not the subject DLNA/UPnP AV Media Server protocol.

Message 10 of 11
Voyager62
Aspirant

Okay. I did enable ReadyDLNA, but don't remember if I was trying to access the servers using DLNA from the Shield or not. What I was trying to do was configure the Shield as a Plex Server because the Netgear RN214 can only transcode to SD, so I needed SMB access. It was a complete waste of time since unlike the reviews of using it as a server, I found it couldn't handle a single 32TB server full of video files and I needed to have 2 connected. The OP mention that he couldn't see the servers on the Shield and enabling Legacy Discovery was how I was able to see (through SMB) them on mine.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements