× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: First time setup on a RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo

Lionel1020
Aspirant

First time setup on a RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo

Hello one and all,

I am trying to set-up a RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2. Never installed a network storage unit before, please assume I know nothing as this is pretty near the truth.

My aim is to copy numerous media files (feature films and TV series) to the NAS so that the family can access them from their own computers even when my computer is turned off. General windows file backup is done via another system ie an external drive.

So far I have installed one hard disk; connected the nas to the modem and got it to appear in the network section of windows under 'storage'.

Clicking on this opens the setup wizard of RAIDar_6.5.0 in a firefox browser.

'Set up'... using this wizard is where I'm having problems and need help.

In the hope I'm not boring anyone I will go though the steps highlighting the bits I don't understand.

Step 1: Timezone... this is set correctly and works.

Step 2: Alerts... Put in two email addresses and set the 'provider' to 'internal' ** No test messages received** ??

Step 3: Ethernet...Status shows 'online' using values from DHCP server.

(Seems OK)

Step 4: Global settings... Everything seems OK except the last bit 'DNS setting'... it has my IP as the 'Domain name server 1'. The Default Gateway is set to the same IP... is this OK??

Step 5: Admin password...seems OK

Step 6: Accounts.... ** I have no idea what to put in here** Left blank

Step 7: Standard File Protocols.... CIFS, AFP, FTP, HTTP are all ticked * no idea if any of this is correct*

Step 8: Streaming Services.... No boxes ticked, not sure what we need??

Step 9: Installed Add-ons.... ReadyNas Remote Option NOT enabled but I think we need this.... not sure what “install a small client on your PC” is or where to get it???

Step 10: Shares on Raid Volumes...** No idea what to enable Left blank?

Step 11: Add Shares....** No idea what to enable Left blank?

Step 12: USB Printers... Not required.

I'm sure there is some bits I need to add and things that need to be enabled.

I will be most grateful for any and all help... Thanks in advance...

Lionel

Model: RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 31

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Lionel1020 wrote:

Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day. Disk 1: Previous count: 17 Current count: 19 Growing SMART errors indicate a disk that may fail soon. If the errors continue to increase, you should be prepared to replace the disk.

[Tue Dec 3 04:00:02 PST 2019]”

We might have found why we have a speed/copy problem!!!

Yes.  I'd definitely replace the disk.

If you had two disks installed, you could simply hot-swap it with a replacement.  But with one disk you'll need to do another factory install, and reconfigure the NAS again.

View solution in original post

Message 29 of 31

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Lionel1020

Welcome to the Community!

You are off to a good start since you are using the Setup Wizard which helps you on setting up your NAS the first time.

Regarding the setup procedure...

Step 1Timezone... this is set correctly and works.

- This is usually set the first time

Step 2Alerts... Put in two email addresses and set the 'provider' to 'internal' ** No test messages received** ??

- What Email provider did you use? If you are using Gmail or other provider it should be selected under the provider list. Otherwise, Internal should work on most corporate accounts or if you have your own mail server or use the advance option to setup your mail server settings.

Step 3Ethernet...Status shows 'online' using values from DHCP server.

(Seems OK)

- This setting is set by default to DHCP so the router will provide the IP automatically

Step 4Global settings... Everything seems OK except the last bit 'DNS setting'... it has my IP as the 'Domain name server 1'. The Default Gateway is set to the same IP... is this OK??

- DNS Server entries are usually your Router IP address or other DNS Servers like the Google DNS Server 8.8.8.8

Step 5: Admin password...seems OK

- default password should be working, you may also have to set your Password recovery questions and email

Step 6: Accounts.... ** I have no idea what to put in here** Left blank

- You will enter details here if you want to have users and set permissions for each

Step 7: Standard File Protocols.... CIFS, AFP, FTP, HTTP are all ticked * no idea if any of this is correct*

- default should be okay unless you need to use different protocol

Step 8: Streaming Services.... No boxes ticked, not sure what we need??

- This is where you setup DLNA or TiVo access.

Step 9: Installed Add-ons.... ReadyNas Remote Option NOT enabled but I think we need this.... not sure what “install a small client on your PC” is or where to get it???

- Apps that are available on apps.readynas.com which you may need if you need access to other devices or streaming.

Step 10: Shares on Raid Volumes...** No idea what to enable Left blank?

Step 11: Add Shares....** No idea what to enable Left blank?

- Shares are the folders you will be using for your data, these are the folders that will also show on your devices. You can set permissions on each share

Step 12: USB Printers... Not required.

- OS4.x supports printer connection

For more information here is the link to the Software manual, it would be better if you keep this handy 🙂

Hope I was able to help!

Regards

Message 2 of 31
Lionel1020
Aspirant

Thank you for the welcome and the reply.

If I could ask for a small clarification on certain points as detailed below.

I tend to over complicate and confuse most things...that other people find simple...sorry..

Step 6: Accounts.... ** I have no idea what to put in here** Left blank

• “You will enter details here if you want to have users and set permissions for each.”

• By 'users' this would mean my children's computers?? What details do I need to enter in order to identify a 'user'?

Thanks

Lionel

Message 3 of 31
Sandshark
Sensei

The interface you are seeing is not RAIDar, it's the GUI inteface that's built into the NAS.  It is what you want to use, though RAIDar may sometimes also be of assistance.

The "internal" mail server will be blocked by nearly every non-business account with a US based internet provider.  You are going to have to use Gmail, your ISP's POP3 server, or something else if you want alert emails.

Accounts are whatever user names you want them to be (with a few reserved ones).  Using the names and passwords you already use to log into your PC's is typical.

ReadyNAS Remote is long gone.  You have purchased a pretty old used product.  But unless you need access outside of your home, you don't need to find a replacement.

Your NAS only supports SMB1, which is no longer enabled by defualt in Windows.  So, once you get the NAS itself set up, you are going to need to enable SMB1 on your computers.

It has been a long time since I've used the wizard on an older system, so i can't tell what version you have form your description.  It is important to know if you really have a Duo V2 or not, as instructions and limitations are different.  Before designing the "real" V2, ReadyNAS put a paper sticker on the bottom of some that may say "V2" or even "V3", which is just a minor hardware variation.  The real V2 is a total re-design, with a different OS version, and says so on the front of the unit, in the GUI, and in RAIDar.  The OS for the real V2 is 5.x while it's 4.2.x on the original ( with all revisions referred to here as "V1").

Message 4 of 31
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

It is important to know if you really have a Duo V2 or not, as instructions and limitations are different.  Before designing the "real" V2, ReadyNAS put a paper sticker on the bottom of some that may say "V2" or even "V3", which is just a minor hardware variation.  The real V2 is a total re-design, with a different OS version, and says so on the front of the unit, in the GUI, and in RAIDar.  The OS for the real V2 is 5.x while it's 4.1.x on the original ( with all revisions referred to here as "V1").

Unfortunately a lot of v1 owners have gotten confused by the labeling, and mistakenly thought they had a v2.

A duo v1

• runs 4.1.x firmware (not 4.2.x)
  • says "duo" on the front chassis

A duo v2

• runs 5.x firmware
  • says duo v2 on the front chassis

Ignore other labels for this - they aren't helpful, and are the source of the confusion.

@Lionel1020 wrote:
  • By 'users' this would mean my children's computers?? What details do I need to enter in order to identify a 'user'?

You need at least one user account on the NAS that you will use from Windows to access the shares.  The details are a username and password.

If you aren't using Microsoft accounts on the PCs (in particular, if you don't have @ in your PC usernames) you can match the username/password(s) that you use when you log into the PC(s).  Then update the passwords on the NAS whenever you update them on the PCs.

You can also create different account(s) on the NAS - for instance a shared one for the children's computers, and a different shared one for your own computers.  You'd then enter the username/password for those accounts later on in the PC(s) using the Windows Credential Manager.  https://www.digitalcitizen.life/credential-manager-where-windows-stores-passwords-other-login-detail...

Message 5 of 31
Lionel1020
Aspirant

Many many thanks to all who have posted very helpful replies.

Maybe it's me being dumb but I find the words used in the setup imprecise.

In my mind they can mean several things, then I overthink it, become unsure and do nothing.

The Nas is connected to the router, it shows up on my computer in the 'Network' part of 'My PC'

Network screen

Setup screen

When I purchased this unit it was advertised as a V2, however from the descriptions here I think it's a V1. Which probably means I'm using the wrong interface for the setup.

Despite it showing up three times in the 'Network' (see photo) none of the links work... results in an error message “Windows cannot access”

Some times the changes I make in the setup disappear when I press “Apply”

I'm still trying... only been a couple of weeks!

Lionel

Message 6 of 31
Lionel1020
Aspirant

Many many thanks to all who have posted very helpful replies.

Maybe it's me being dumb but I find the words used in the setup imprecise.

In my mind they can mean several things, then I overthink it, become unsure and do nothing.

The Nas is connected to the router, it shows up on my computer in the 'Network' part of 'My PC'

Screenshot1

Screenshot2     

****Tried to upload a couple of photos   Didn't work***  (Bit like my NAS!)

When I purchased this unit it was advertised as a V2, however from the descriptions here I think it's a V1. Which probably means I'm using the wrong interface for the setup.

Despite it showing up three times in the 'Network' (see photo) none of the links work... results in an error message “Windows cannot access”

Some times the changes I make in the setup disappear when I press “Apply”

I'm still trying... only been a couple of weeks!

Lionel

Message 7 of 31
StephenB
Guru

You can attach a screenshot by clicking on the "choose file" control at the bottom of the page.

FWIW, you would find this easier with a current ReadyNAS.  Netgear took the ReadyNAS Duo v1 out of production back in 2011.  With a new NAS (such as the RN212) you'd be able to get phone support from Netgear, and you wouldn't need to work around the issue with SMB 1 being deprecated. 

• Did you change the NAS admin password during setup?
  • Have you created any NAS user accounts?
  • Do you know the IP address of the NAS?
Message 8 of 31
Lionel1020
Aspirant

@ StephenB

"FWIW, you would find this easier with a current ReadyNAS.  Netgear took the ReadyNAS Duo v1 out of production back in 2011.  With a new NAS (such as the RN212) you'd be able to get phone support from Netgear, and you wouldn't need to work around the issue with SMB 1 being deprecated." 

The Ready-NAS Duo compared to a Ready-NAS RN212 is a bit of an anachronistic juxtaposition, of course the RN212 comes out on top ....except for one compelling reason... I paid 30€ (33$) for the Duo.

I have been retired for a few years now...you will be amazed how compelling this reason becomes.

• Did you change the NAS admin password during setup?      Yes... Managed to do that!

• Have you created any NAS user accounts?    Yes... Three... One for each child and on under my name.

• Do you know the IP address of the NAS? ...Yes

Not sure what to do now...

Lionel

Message 9 of 31
Lionel1020
Aspirant

Seems you can add only one photo at a time???

Here is another:

Message 10 of 31
StephenB
Guru

My first piece of advice is that it's easiest not to access the NAS using the network list in file explorer.

So start by entering \\nas-ip-address  into the file manager address bar (being careful to use the correct slash direction, and of course using the real IP address).  If you get a password prompt, then you'll want to enter the username/password of one of the accounts you created on the NAS.  

You should see a list of the NAS shares in the file manager pane when you do this.  Let us know if that happens (and if not, what error message you see or where you get stuck).

After you do get access to the shares, we can work through more convenient ways to access them.

@Lionel1020 wrote:

I paid 30€ (33$) for the Duo.

I do get this, but there is a reason why it is that inexpensive.  FWIW, my own Duo v1 is still in service as a backup.  So I have found it to be reliable - but it is about 10 years old.  When it finally does fail I will just take it out of service.

Message 11 of 31
Lionel1020
Aspirant

@ StephenB

Followed your instructions.

The results are a bit complicated to explain, so I constructed a diagram which I have attached here.

Hope you can understand it....

Lionel

Message 12 of 31
StephenB
Guru

@Lionel1020 wrote:

The results are a bit complicated to explain, so I constructed a diagram which I have attached here.

The PC is using the NAS admin credentials to access the shares.  That is why you see the admin folder and the home folder.  You should also have seen a folder called "C" - not sure why you didn't (or if you missed it).  Clicking on that would have shown you the four folders in your diagram.  FWIW, the admin under home is actually same folder as the admin you see in the root.

If you use one of the user accounts you created, you will only see backup and media and that user's home file (and not the rest).

The idea with the user folders is that they are private (though as you found, you can see them with admin credentials).  I don't find that feature particularly useful myself (and it gets in the way when you back up the NAS), so I've turned it off.  If you want to do the same, let me know and I can provide the steps.

You should be able to delete the folder left behind when you aborted the transfer.

So the good news here is that the PC is now able to reach the NAS.  You can also try entering \\nas-name into File Explorer (using whatever name you gave the NAS), and see if that also works from all three PCs.  It doesn't always, so let us know either way. 

You can of course just continue to use the IP address.  

Access can also be simplified in two ways. It is possible to:

• Create a desktop shortcut that will open the NAS share list (or a specific share) when you click on it.
  • Add each NAS share as a "network location" - which will show up in the main File Explorer pane when you click on "this PC".

We can provide more details on these options if you need them.

You should also look into reserving the NAS IP address in your router.  Reserving the IP address makes sure that it won't change when you restart the NAS or reboot the router.  If you don't know how to do that, you can post your router model (or a link to it's user manual) here, and we can help.

Message 13 of 31
Lionel1020
Aspirant

@StephenB 

I'm going to use a couple of other computers tomorrow which are on the same router...to see if they show the Nas in their network.

The biggest problem at the moment are the files “backup” and “media” although they can be 'seen', windows cannot access them or open them.

When you try to open the file you receive an error message hinting that there maybe a problem with the filename.

Although it could be a configuration error in the Nas setup.

I can find the share names “backup” and “media” in the Share Listing section. CIFS is disabled for both.

Trying to allocate the file protocol there is 'tick-box' that asks what “Hosts” are allowed access...

Do you know what “hosts” they are referring too?

I've added a photo to show what section I'm talking about...

Lionel

Message 14 of 31
StephenB
Guru

@Lionel1020 wrote:

I can find the share names “backup” and “media” in the Share Listing section. CIFS is disabled for both.

CIFS needs to be enabled for both, not disabled.

@Lionel1020 wrote:

Trying to allocate the file protocol there is 'tick-box' that asks what “Hosts” are allowed access...

Leave that tick-box unchecked.

Message 15 of 31
Lionel1020
Aspirant

Hi Stephen, sorry to be a pain....
“@Lionel1020wrote:

CIFS needs to be enabled for both, not disabled.”

****My comment was not clear, I know they need to be enabled...but I don't know exactly how to enable them....

“@Lionel1020 wrote:

Leave that tick-box unchecked. ”

****I am not sure of the exact meaning of the word “Hosts” (as it is used here).

****What is a “Host”?

****And what are/is the “file protocol(s)” they are referring to?

I believe if we can enable CIFS this will give access to the shares 'media' and 'backup'.

The 'tick-box' would need to be checked, this would allow you to add the names or addresses of the 'hosts' in the box headed “Separate entries with comma”

This is where I'm stuck:

*I don't know what a 'host' is....

*I don't know what the hosts name or address looks like or where to find it!

*I don't know if we enter the name or address ….or both...or something different!

Lionel

Message 16 of 31
StephenB
Guru

@Lionel1020 wrote:

CIFS needs to be enabled for both, not disabled.”

****My comment was not clear, I know they need to be enabled...but I don't know exactly how to enable them....

enable cifs.png

Select read/write in the pulldown as shown above.  Then click "Apply" on the bottom right.

@Lionel1020 wrote:

The 'tick-box' would need to be checked,

No, it doesn't need to be checked.  Leave it unchecked. You don't need to enter anything in hosts allowed access.

@Lionel1020 wrote:

This is where I'm stuck:

*I don't know what a 'host' is....

*I don't know what the hosts name or address looks like or where to find it!

The hosts list is an old mechanism to let you enable CIFS access for specific home PCs.  So if you only wanted one of your PCs to access the share, but not the others, then you could enter the PC's IP address you want to allow in this field.  Or you could enter the PCs name.

It's not a very useful security mechanism, since IP addresses normally will change on a network, and the addresses/names can easily be spoofed.

A better mechanism to limit access is to enable users (or groups) either for read-only access or for full access.  That is based on the user login information.  But that isn't normally needed either on a home NAS.  It's best to just enable read/write access by default as I show in the screen shot above, and leave the hosts, read-only users, and write-enabled users fields empty.  If you want to lock down access more tightly, then do that after you actually get access from your home PCs - not now.

Message 17 of 31
Lionel1020
Aspirant

I have enabled CIFS on both 'backup and 'media' as per your instructions.

In 'My PC' under the section 'network' one can find the Nas.

Clicking on the NAS icon shows four files 'Browse', Music', 'Pictures' and 'Video'.

Each of these have multiple sub-folders inside. All files are empty.

I am unable to copy anything to any of these files.

It shows a 'no entry: Ø' if one tries to copy/paste anything anywhere.

Lionel

Message 18 of 31
StephenB
Guru

@Lionel1020 wrote:

In 'My PC' under the section 'network' one can find the Nas.

Clicking on the NAS icon shows four files 'Browse', Music', 'Pictures' and 'Video'.

The NAS will often show up multiple times in "network" - as a "computer", or as "storage", or as a "media server".  What happens when you click on the icon depends on what type of device Windows thinks it is.

It sounds like you enabled ReadyDLNA on the NAS - which would cause it to show up as a media server.  DLNA is a completely different protocol, and has nothing to do with CIFS/SMB.  The folders you are seeing aren't shares, and they can't be written to.  We should probably focus on mainstream access first, and then circle back as to whether you actually need ReadyDLNA.

What happens now if you enter \\nas-ip-address into the file explorer address bar?

Message 19 of 31
Lionel1020
Aspirant

@StephenB  Thankyou for your perseverance with this problem...

Entering \\nas-ip address Gets a “windows cannot find”

Entering \\ ip adress

Gets the same four files as the other day.

That is admin, media, backup and home. Admin is empty; media and backup gets a “windows cannot access” (suggests the name might be wrong) and home contains the 3 shares we created (empty) plus a repeat of admin.

This has been the same sticking point for a couple of days now: windows can find the files “backup” and “media” but cannot access them...

Message 20 of 31
StephenB
Guru

@Lionel1020 wrote:

Entering \\nas-ip address Gets a “windows cannot find”

nas-ip-address was intended to be a placeholder for the real NAS ip address.

@Lionel1020 wrote:

Admin is empty; media and backup gets a “windows cannot access” (suggests the name might be wrong) and home contains the 3 shares we created (empty) plus a repeat of admin.

Starting from the top - you are using the NAS admin credentials to access the NAS shares from the PC.  Is that what you want to do?  The reason we created the three user accounts was to use those to access the NAS.  If you want to use the admin account instead, then we can delete those accounts.  If you were to use one of the user accounts, you'd see media, backup, and that user's folder.  You wouldn't see home or admin in the root.

Can you copy a file into the admin folder?  If that works, then try deleting the file.

Then try creating a new share from the Web UI using the "add share" menu (not a new account), and see if you can copy a file into that.  If you can, then you can delete the backup and media shares.  You can rename the new one to "backup" or "media", and it should still work, and of course create other shares from scratch.

Message 21 of 31
Lionel1020
Aspirant

Entering \\nas-(real ip address) Gets a “windows cannot find”

Entering \\ (real ip address)

Gets the four files: admin, media, backup and home.

The difference is the nas- in front of the ip address.

Anyway, Tried to copy a file (1 photo 973ko) to 'admin'....

Starts coping...gets to 50% then stops.

Asks if you want to restart/ recopy..... Gets to the same point (50%) then stops.

Tried to create another share.... Gets an error....No filesystem available

Tried to delete 'backup'...that is tick the box. The 'apply' button at the bottom of the page does NOT highlight. Therefore does not delete.

Would it help if I change the Hard Disk for a new one?

Message 22 of 31
StephenB
Guru

@Lionel1020 wrote:

Entering \\nas-(real ip address) Gets a “windows cannot find”

Entering \\ (real ip address)

Gets the four files: admin, media, backup and home.

The difference is the nas- in front of the ip address.

As I tried to say, the nas-ip-address is a placeholder for the real IP address.  I wasn't meaning for you to type the word nas.

@Lionel1020 wrote:

Tried to create another share.... Gets an error....No filesystem available

How did you do that?  From Frontview (the NAS web ui)?  Or did you try doing it someplace else?

@Lionel1020 wrote:

Would it help if I change the Hard Disk for a new one?

Possibly.  Can you try downloading the full log zip file from the logs page in the web ui?  Then upload it to cloud storage (google drive, dropbox, etc).

You can then send me a private message (PM) that includes a download link for the log zip.  Then I can maybe get a better idea of what's happening. You send a PM by clicking on the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.

Message 23 of 31
Lionel1020
Aspirant

In an effort to access all the files on the Nas I decided to go for a clean slate.

Reinstalled the firmware then performed a factory reset to format the disk.

After going though the setup again the situation is as follows.

Please see attached photo.

In 'My PC' there are two icons for the Nas, one on the left, one on the right.

The one on the right gives direct access, i.e. no passwords required.

One can access all files, playback the contents but does not allow file transfer to any part of the Nas.

The icon on the right demands a password,then you can see the layout.

This section allows uploads/ file transfer to the Nas.

However it has a very slow copy speed and stops transferring often.

So far managed to copy one photo... after six or seven restarts.

Message 24 of 31
StephenB
Guru

Not sure why you are continuing to ignore my question on using the NAS admin credentials to access the NAS.

On the speed, is the NAS still syncing?  You should be able to see that in the web admin ui.  It will be slow until that step completes.

Message 25 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements