× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Free drive offer and ReadyNAS Pro 6

microchip1
Aspirant

Free drive offer and ReadyNAS Pro 6

Hi,

I was looking a while ago at getting a ReadyNAS Pro 6 Diskless vs building our own NAS server, and the UK offer of the free 3x1TB hard disks swung it... however, I've just noticed the offer finished on the 2nd of October, so I've unfortunately missed that by the look of it. Is there any repeat or similar offer planned?

If not, I'll go build my own NAS box, as it works out quite a bit cheaper. Bit of a shame, as I'd finally got the cash together, and it'd be nice to have something that "just works" as opposed to something I have to argue with to make it play ball.

Appreciate any info! 🙂
Message 1 of 14
PapaBear1
Guide

Re: Free drive offer and ReadyNAS Pro 6

As one who looked at various options years ago, I am glad that I opted for the ReadyNAS NV+ four and half years ago. While I know the offer of a single 3TB drive can make a difference, over the years the reliability and ease of setting up on the ReadyNAS makes it a no brainer for me. My NV+ has now been joined by two NVX units which are a year and a year and a half old. One is the primary and the other the backup target. My trusty old NV+ which has had it's OS updated about four times (but is now again one version older than current) and the drives upgraded twice. It provides the backup of critical files (movies excluded) of the backup unit which is a backup of everything.

I have eyed the Pro for some time my self, but even when the Pro Pioneer and Pro Business were being updated to the Pro 6 and Ultra 6 Plus, I was having a hard time justifying the additional cost of 6 bays over 4. I opted for the NVX because it was half the price of a Pro Business at the time and I still don't have near the data to fill my NVX (currently 2x3TB and 2x1TB drives for a volume of 4.5TB and I am only using about 2TB. Unless you really need the 6 bays, you might want to consider a Pro4.
Message 2 of 14
microchip1
Aspirant

Well, I was looking at the 6 because I've already got 4x 1TB drives here, and would like to expand as I go along. The heftier CPU was certainly attractive too, for live transcoding of HD media to various media devices, amongst other things. But you might be right.

I was looking for quite a bit at building my own FreeNAS box out of a cheap recycled server - you can pick up an older dual dual core Xeon box with 16GB of RAM for next to nothing nowadays on eBay with the hardware recyclers - but there's something to be said for "it just works", albeit at a bit of a price premium.

I've worked out the drive cost is likely something around £150 (about $240) for reasonably decent drives, which is a bit of a punch in the gut when I realise I've missed out by 22 days.
Message 3 of 14
PapaBear1
Guide

I miss read your first post. I saw 3x1TB and it registered in my brain as 3TB. Most of the free drive offers in the past have been ONE drive. In the US, they do $ rebates not free drives. If you already have 4x1TB drives and they are on the Hardware Compatibility List (HCL), then you already have a full drive package for a 4 bay unit, although it is a good idea to have one spare on hand.
Message 4 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I would still go with the Pro 6. Install the 4x1TB drives (do note the NAS will need to wipe these so be sure to backup any data you've put on them first) and add more drives later as you need them.
Message 5 of 14
stgeorge
Guide

Can someone please explain the earlier comment that the pro6 has a "heftier" cpu? I was looking at a stat spreadsheet comparing the pro2 pro4 and pro6 and I didn't see anything indicating that the pro6 has more or less cpu power than the other pro models.

thanks
Message 6 of 14
microchip1
Aspirant

http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=499 was one reference I pulled up in my searches.
Message 7 of 14
stgeorge
Guide

Danke!
Message 8 of 14
stgeorge
Guide

Now I'm getting really confused!

When I look on Netgear's website for the difference between RNDP6000-200NAS and RNDP6000-100NAS, I pulled up a page that says RNDP6000-200NAS is being replaced by the Pro6 ? So, I click on that link to go look at the replacement and it is, as best I can tell, the same thing but with disks (which I don't want). SO, here are two questions:

1) What is the diff between RNDP6000-100NAS and the RNDP6000-200NAS ?

and

2) What is the proper model number for the diskless Pro6 ????

Please help clarify this because I also found another Netgear link to an EOL page, which I assume means End of Life for that product? Of course, there is no explanation for what is happening with the RNDP6000 models.
Message 9 of 14
PapaBear1
Guide

Could you post that link?

The original Pro, only available as a 6 bay model was the RNDP6000-100 (NAS in the North American market, other three letters in other markets). It had the E2160 1.8GHz CPU. When Netgear revamped the lines last fall, the new version 2 of the 6 bay unit in the Pro line is now called the Pro 6 and has the E5300 2.6GHz CPU. The model for the diskless version is now RNDP6000-200xxx (again xxx would be NAS in the North American market.) The Pro 6 is now joined by the Pro 4 (replacing the NVX BE) and Pro 2. The Pro 4 has the Atom 510 1.66 GHz processor and the Pro 2 released later has the Atom 525 1.8Ghz processor.

The Ultra 6 Plus is basically the hardware of the old Pro but does not have the business features and has the 3 year consumer level warranty. It has the E2160 1.8Ghz CPU. The diskless model number is RNDP600U-100xxx.

Some retail websites may have just not updated their listings, and they may also still have old stock of the Pro available. I know that some months back some sites were still listing the NVX (32 bit unit discontinued in favor of the 64bit Ultra series) and for a price higher than they were asking for the newer Ultra series.

eAegis used to have just about the best prices, but they no longer seem to promote Netgear (they still carry them, you just need to enter Netgear in the search box) but Newegg now has better prices. They no longer have the -100NAS but eAegis lists both, but the -200NAS has a higher price. Their price for the -100NAS is only $5 less than Newegg is asking for the newer RNDP6000-200NAS. Almost all my computer items come from Newegg because they keep you informed and they ship quickly. Even with standard shipping my orders rarely take more than 3 business days to my home.
Message 10 of 14
stgeorge
Guide

Thanks for that informative summary- I actually stumbled upon a -100nas at a website called simplynas.com so they must be either a liquidator or just have older stock for some reason. I agree with your enthusiasm for Newegg as I too have had good experiences with them, but I'm seeing a superior price on amazon for the -200nas and I'm indifferent between those two sellers (having had very good experiences at both).
Message 11 of 14
PapaBear1
Guide

In my experience with dealing with them, if Newegg is a 10 then Amazon is 9.9. The email notifications from Newegg are better than Amazons, and the ability to go back and bring up invoices from years ago on your purchases on Newegg is great. Products are the same, the service for both is great. I have purchased drives from both (who ever has the best price at the time on my selected drives) and the last orders from both came in almost the same packing (both have picked up the protection).

It is really 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. I have never had a problem with either.

You do have to watch to be sure that the item is not sub-let on Amazon. That item from the Amazon warehouse is $1051.79 if shipped from Abes of Maine Cameras and Electronics and is the RNDP6000-200NAS. The item for $965.00 is from SimplyNAS and is the RNDP6000-100NAS. That is one disadvantage of buying from Amazon, you have to read all the information. Normally it is not a problem, but could be in this case.
Message 12 of 14
stgeorge
Guide

I was seeing one of the -200nas units on Amazon and being sold by Amazon for like $1049, and then when I looked at the SimplyNAS site again, I was able to pull up a -200nas unit for that < $1,000 price.

Do you have any experience with SimplyNAS?
Message 13 of 14
PapaBear1
Guide

No. I actually never heard of them until you posted their name.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements