× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: From scratch; 'resyncing' new drives is taking a week, should I be concerned? Follow Up

D_Ace
Aspirant

From scratch; 'resyncing' new drives is taking a week, should I be concerned? Follow Up

I wanted to follow up on the original article but it was closed (https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/Connect-2-ReadyNAS-104-via-USB-for-data-...).

I've had a ReadyNas 104 running with 4x8TB drives since Mar 2020 and have had no problems.

I'm in the process now of upgrading my second RN104 to the same config (4x8TB but differnt drives makes...got good deal on 8TB drives).

All drives are 7200 RPM for "performance" but again, from first config, haven't had any issues.

HTH

Dave

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 13
D_Ace
Aspirant

Re: From scratch; 'resyncing' new drives is taking a week, should I be concerned? Follow Up

forgot to mention...it does take days to resync from new and admin page when monitoring does crap out from time to time...

DO NOT powerdown/restart while resyncing...even though new drives, it will restart from scratch the whole resync process (lesson learned hard way)

Message 2 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

What specific drives are you using?  I hope that "good deal" wasn't for "archive" drives or any that are SMR, as they are not a good choice and will have very poor write performance.

Message 3 of 13
D_Ace
Aspirant

yep..not SMR

First NAS - 4 x seagate 8TB st8000vn0022 Ironwolf's

Second NAS - 1 x HGST 8TB + 3 x Toshiba hdwr180 8TB (this was the crap shoot with the 3 toshiba drives under $200 cdn each plus my spare HGST)

So far so good...but again, second nas is going to be DAYS to resync

HTH

Message 4 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

While you havew access to the admin GUI, I suggest you download the log zip file and look for any reported SMART errors.  I have seen reports of sync errors on Toshiba X300 series drives (though most are old, so the problem may be fixed), and those would definately slow down a sync.

Also be aware that the time estimate for a sync is often quite a bit off at the beginning.

Message 5 of 13
D_Ace
Aspirant

Thanks Sandshark!

Downloaded the logs but on first inspection, nothing seems to standout (no apparent SMART errors) but could be looking in wrong spot. In which log file would that error be displayed?

Thanks again for the follow ups...appreciated.

And for reference...approximately 22% through resync and just over a day passed...

Message 6 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

disk_info.log contains the SMART data.  dmesg.log might also contain relevant information.  I've not done a sync similar to yours on a 100 series machine.  Given their limited processing power and the large number of calculations that go into a sync, I'm not sure your progress is that unusual.

Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

I'm not sure your progress is that unusual.

There is an old forum post here where someone reported a 70-hour estimate for a 4x4TB array in an RN104.  4x8TB would be about twice that - nearly a week.

Since the resync is done in the background, the estimates will go up quite a bit if you are trying to use the NAS (restoring data for example).

Message 8 of 13
D_Ace
Aspirant

Thanks Sandshark, Stephen,

Sandshark, Checked the logs you mentioned and no SMART references so all good there.

Stephen, thanks...I'm at 40% resynced now with no operations going on against the NAS so it looks like ~20%/day...I'm just letting it do it's thing and once completed, I'll transfer back all my data that was on there originally.

With this pace, it will probaby be completed sometime on Monday.

Thanks again!

Message 9 of 13
D_Ace
Aspirant

Last post on this

Finally completed.

start: 21/11/24 18:52:20 PST
end: 21/11/30 14:00:20 PST

Thanks for all the feedback

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 10 of 13
viperhansa
Virtuoso

Hi  all..

ReadyNas Pro Business with  OS6.10.6

I swapped from  4TB drives to 8TB  and takes in avareage per drive:

Dec 05, 2021 03:18:31: Volume: Volume data is resynced.

Dec 03, 2021 14:38:30:   Volume: Volume data is Degraded.

Aprox: 33 hours..

Removing:   WDC WD40EFRX

Adding:   TOSHIBA N300 HDWG480

I have the N300 drives in my other nas and my only complaint is that they are a bit loud.

Message 11 of 13
StephenB
Guru

33 hours is not unusual - the process requires either reading or writing every sector on every drive.

Message 12 of 13
viperhansa
Virtuoso

@StephenB 

Yeah, just posted for reference...   Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements