× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Full reinit procedure for Pro 6?

dsm1212
Apprentice

Full reinit procedure for Pro 6?

Had this Pro6 for years and it's worked great but I finally put together a newer box based on opensource and docker. Since this is still running I want to use it for backups. But there is a bad file on the root partition. I've never been able to fix it because there is no good procedure on readynas to fsck root. Before I start loading it with backups I'd like to reinit the box to fix the root partition. Which reset procedure actually recreates the root partition? It's running 6.10.4 currently and I'm ok with losing all data.

thanks

steve

Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

A factory default will reformat the disks.  Or you can remove the partitions with the NAS powered down - for instance by connecting the disks to a windows PC and deleting them with windows disk manager.  The put them back in the NAS and power up, and it will do a factory install.

Message 2 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

While a Pro6 running the original 4.2.x RAIDiator OS is still a viable backup, and even a usable main NAS for many, I believe the day will come, perhaps not too far off, that access will be more limited as the protocols used are further depreciated in Windows and browsers and made impossible to enable.  So, since you are going to do a factory default, anyway, this would be a good time to decide if upgrading to OS6 is right for you.

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

So, since you are going to do a factory default, anyway, this would be a good time to decide if upgrading to OS6 is right for you.

Good general advice, but I think you missed that @dsm1212 is already running 6.10.4.

Message 4 of 10
dsm1212
Apprentice

Right, thanks. As soon as I'm comfortable with the new system I'll give the full init a go. On that topic of OS6 though, it was great that you supported this so long. My pro 6 is 9 years old and still running! I only had replaced two failed disks. I do blow out the dust every year and replaced the thermal paste probably 3 times. I had also upgraded the cpu which was socketed and the memory. I did those the first week though :-). Overall it has been a very reliable machine. I've had 5 people using it pretty much continuously for backups and media (local and remote). The only reason I built instead of bought again is that I wanted to be on a current linux distro and the docker model for services is ideal. Docker is not for typical consumers but it is just just perfect for a small nas and a technical owner.

steve

Message 5 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

While a user has made a Docker app available to ReadyNAS users, I do not understand why Netgear has not grabbed onto it as an alternative to apps.  The ReadyNAS line is nearly devoid of app developers, but there are pre-made Docker packages all over.  It has been in the Idea exchange for years, and Netgear even took credit for it being "implemented", which was quite a stretch of the truth since it's not their work, not integrated into the OS, and not easy for a typical user to implement.

I personally have a dual hex-core Xeon PC in the same rack as my NASes that I can use for most anything somebody would want an app for, so don't need it.  But I know I'm not the typical case.

Message 6 of 10
dsm1212
Apprentice

I'm a software engineer so was able to add every service I need on a new debian buster system in an evening using openmediavault and docker. And, without going into too many details, the result is better: current os, web certificates, vpn isolation, proxied entry points, etc. But, I don't think the average user could do this with Docker. Netgear would have to put a really simple UI around it with a set of defaults and what not so that it looks like what they have now with just an on/off knob :-). That sure seems easier though than fostering a proprietary developer ecosystem.

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@dsm1212 wrote:

That sure seems easier though than fostering a proprietary developer ecosystem.

I agree.  

I think they had high hopes for the apps, but those were dashed long ago.  Docker would be better approach, since it would insulate the ReadyNAS application from the apps.  There were several apps that needed to be removed because they were no longer compatible with the OS. 

Message 8 of 10
dsm1212
Apprentice

@StephenBI've been waiting to reinit till I'm really certain the new system is good and has everything I need, so I haven't done it yet. I have a followup question though. If the box is running OS6 and I do the factory reset can you confirm it will return to OS6 or will that revert me to OS4? I'm sure is probably OS6, but you never know so I thought I'd better ask.

Actually one more, does OS reinstall remake the root filesystem? If I didn't loose the /data contents it would save me time resyncing backups. I just want that / recreated since the file system has a corruption I can't fix.

thanks!

steve

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@dsm1212 wrote:

If the box is running OS6 and I do the factory reset can you confirm it will return to OS6 or will that revert me to OS4? I'm sure is probably OS6, but you never know so I thought I'd better ask.

It will be running OS6 after the reset.

@dsm1212 wrote:

Actually one more, does OS reinstall remake the root filesystem? 

No.  It reinstalls the OS from the flash install image (overwriting many of the files) and it changes some settings. But it doesn't rebuild the root filesystem from scratch.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements