× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS716T

cubewebsolution
Aspirant

GS716T

Just wanting to know if the Netgear GS716T / GS716t V2 (http://bit.ly/rIOmVy) is compatible with the Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 6+.

It's not on the list.

At the moment I have the GS116, and needing to know if I need to upgrade that. I only want a Netgear 16 Port Gigabit switch.

Cheers.

Jason.
Message 1 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS716T

Most switches particularly NetGear switches should work fine. I would try with what you have. If you have issues contact NetGear tech support for assistance.

A managed switch would be nice but is mainly of benefit if you have a business ReadyNAS (e.g. Pro 6) where you can use LACP rather than a home unit (e.g. Ultra 6+) which doesn't have NIC teaming.
Message 2 of 10
cubewebsolution
Aspirant

Thanks, and yes I'm looking at getting the Ultra 6 Plus... and was hoping my current GS116 16 Port Gigabit Switch would be suffice.
Message 3 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The RNDP600U-200 is the Ultra 6 Plus, has 3 year warranty and lacks business features. Also take a look at the Pro 6 which has a faster CPU (CPU Specs of the ReadyNAS), 5 year warranty and business features such as NIC Teaming. The Pro 6 is a better NAS that can do everything the Ultra 6 Plus can plus more. I reckon it's well worth the extra couple of hundred dollars just for the extra warranty.
Message 4 of 10
cubewebsolution
Aspirant

So when I look at the following, as I'm looking at the 18TB system, for home storage and media streaming, why is the PRO better than the Ultra 6 Plus:

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/st ... P600U.aspx
http://www.netgear.com/business/product ... 0-200.aspx

Obviously the Pro comes with 2 years more warranty. I assume the pro also takes the 3TB drives like the Ultra 6 Plus does (with the latest firmware of course).

I'm curious to know the other advantages of the Pro of the Ultra 6 Plus series, and thank you for your help 🙂
Message 5 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The Pro ships with enterprise drives. You could buy diskless and choose your own drives.

They are fairly similar. The HCL lists the compatible drives.

Business features include Rsync over SSH, snapshot (useful if data is going to be changing during backup and recommended for use with e.g. ReadyNAS Replicate), NIC Teaming (http://www.readynas.com/bonding_en-us), VLAN support, AD (Windows Domain) integration etc. If you're a home user you may not need many of these features (if any).

As for the CPU, if transcoding (converting on the fly to stream) video e.g. to an iPad, the Pro 6 can handle 1080p video whereas the Ultra 6 Plus can only handle 720p video.

The Ultra 6 Plus could well be right for you. I'm just wanting to make sure you're aware of the option of the Pro 6 and what it provides.
Message 6 of 10
cubewebsolution
Aspirant

Thanks for that. The Pro 6 costs a bit less than $300 extra here in Australia, which is not bad even for the home user to get the extra 2 years Warranty.

You are correct, for my use at home, most of the business features of the Pro 6 would go to waste. I basically want to use the ReadyNAS device as my centralised storage of:

- My home web development business data
- My compete iTunes library, for streaming to a future Sonos system
- My complete Movie & TV Show collection, which is forever growing.

I currently stream from a smaller server in my den to a Boxee Box in the theatre room. That works fine, so I'm not sure bout the 1080p vs 720p transcoding requirements, as the Boxee Box does all of that, it just streams the content from the network, no matter what the file type.

I'm going to buy diskless, and have already chosen a Seagate drive (http://bit.ly/rFNeKJ) from the HCL, which I can buy from an online store in the USA for about half what the cost her in Australia. So I can buy 6 x 3TB drives for the cost of 3 here in Australia. I've also already got a compatible APC UPS Back-UPS Pro to match it with.

What are all your thoughts on that?

Also, I what is the difference in the CPU between the two of them, I could not see a difference in the specs.

Again, many thanks.

Jason.
Message 7 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sounds like a good setup. I would go with the Pro 6.

Transcoding is useful for converting video for streaming to devices that can't handle (e.g. due to bandwidth limitations or limitations with the device) high quality video. It sounds like you're not doing any of that.

The CPU difference is explained in CPU Specs of the ReadyNAS
Message 8 of 10
cubewebsolution
Aspirant

Thanks. Seems the Pro is the way to go, faster CPU and 2 years extra warranty.

For my needs would the faster CPU be of any benefit?

That webpage with the differences in cpu was excellent.

Jason
Message 9 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could still find it's of benefit sometimes. It probably helps with things like resync times. As a more powerful NAS it is more future proof as your needs grow. Both units are good choices and in my view the best models from the desktop ReadyNAS line.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements