× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: General Feedback on 6.2.3/6.2.4

btaroli
Prodigy

Jophus wrote:
It is a testament to Netgear for unofficially supporting legacy devices.

No. Netgear has officially decided NOT to do that. This is a testament to those who have acted against Netgear's business decision to instead do the right thing for customers. But beware because if something goes sideways and you need to call Netgear support, it's likely they won't.
Message 76 of 83
nikoniko
Tutor

BubbaMike wrote:
Since upgrading to 6.2.4 my RN104 crashes/locks up/stops responding/etc almost every single day. Pulling the power plug is the only option.
..the NAS will almost always fail when I am not around to reset it and then it causes problems. I just want a stable firmware running...is that too much to ask? LOL

Hello

I am experiencing the same problem after upgrading to 6.2.4.
The upgrade was done automatically.
The NAS dies a few minutes after power on and the only solution is to remove the power.
The hardware is relative new. I have it for a few months but has only been online for a few hours as most of the features are not working yet (e.g. Syncing with ReadyCloud etc)

Does anyone know if there is a fix coming soon?
Message 77 of 83
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

nikoniko can you try 6.2.5-RC1?: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=78866

If you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig) I can confirm if you have an issue likely addressed by 6.2.5
Message 78 of 83
nikoniko
Tutor

mdgm thank you for responding.
I have sent the email with the logs but I haven't receive any response so I do not know what happened to them
Message 79 of 83
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi nikoniko, I just had a look at your logs.

Can you try disabling the anti-virus service and see if you still have issues?
Message 80 of 83
Jophus
Luminary

@btaroli wrote:
Jophus wrote:
It is a testament to Netgear for unofficially supporting legacy devices.

No. Netgear has officially decided NOT to do that. This is a testament to those who have acted against Netgear's business decision to instead do the right thing for customers. But beware because if something goes sideways and you need to call Netgear support, it's likely they won't.

I definitely appreciate your view!  Personally, by fostering a vibrant and engaged community and by enabling those exeriences to be shared via this sanctioned Netgear forum, I feel Netgear walk the line of:

• Business, turnover, upgrade culture, forced obselesence etc, and
  • Enabling and supporting those who are willing to help themselves.

My experience with these forums and my Ultra 6 led me to double-down and buy a 102 to back-up my Legacy Ultra 6 (on 6.2.4).

My suggestions for the RN102 are:

• The status page on the 102 is missing a lot of information (compared to the Ultra 6), like network throughput, IO, temperature etc and history - no pretty graphs or even just some numbers.  Is there a view to include some diagnostic/snapshot information on the RN102?
  • On both the 102 and Ultra 6 it would be great to have a "force compression" on shares and also an option to recompress files already on the NAS.
  • This could ideally come with a warning that throughput/performance would be impacted etc.  BTFRS will only compress a file if the first few blocks of a file are compressible.  Forcing compression will do just that for all files, irrespective of the first few blocks' compressibility.  This would be perfect where my 102 (which maxes out at 41MB/s using Copy on Write/Compression - faster than USB2 on the Ultra 6) is a back-up only box and write speed is not the primary concern.
Message 81 of 83
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The 100 series does not have the resources to do those graphs. If you need that information you should consider a business class ReadyNAS.

In a future firmware release you will be able to force compression on a directory from the backend.

Message 82 of 83
nikoniko
Tutor

@mdgm wrote:
Hi nikoniko, I just had a look at your logs.

Can you try disabling the anti-virus service and see if you still have issues?

HI mdgm

I disabled the antivirus and now the NAS seems to be alive.

Thank you very much for your help.

I also had an automatic update to 6.2.5 recently and it seems to also be fine.

best regards

Nikolas

Message 83 of 83
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements