× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Going from NV+ to RN104 - Can I still access my data?

Foe_of_Good
Aspirant

Going from NV+ to RN104 - Can I still access my data?

So, I've had an NV+ that suddenly went BOOM. Something smelled burned and it never awoke again.
I allready have a RN104 that I wanted to test the disks in, and I have also bought another 104, but when I put in the disks, I get a "Previously formatted disks detected (Dirty Disks)".

I don't want to mess about too much, as I don't want to loose the content as it is very valuable for me.
Can I have messed up the order of the disks maybe, put in number 4 instead of 1, or is something larger at works?

Do these two boxes talk together with each other during a migration at all?

It was the NV+ box that fried, so the disks SHOULD be fine.

Hope for a quick answer 😄

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 15
Foe_of_Good
Aspirant

Re: Going from NV+ to RN104 - Can I still access my data?

Oh, and I should ad that I am using Raid-X!

Message 2 of 15
Foe_of_Good
Aspirant

I also just found out that I have a ReadyNAS NV+ v1, so I am guessing thats bad news for me...
I've read here that the v1 uses an older CPU architecture, so there is no chance for migration to a newer box.
Is this correct?

Message 3 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

That is correct, you cannot migrate drives from a SPARC based system to a newer model and retain or even recover the data.  Fortunately for you, unlike the older OS's, the NAS warned you instead of just wiping out your data and you heeded the warning.  I'm sure that's why that function is there.  I remember many a new user coming to the foum in years past in horror that his valuable family photos were all gone because he expected the NAS to act like a drive hub (even though there were plenty of warnings in the documentation).

If you are lucky, the problem is just in the power supply of yout NV+.  An adapter can be made (and I plan to sell them on eBay shortly) to allow a standard ATX supply to be used to power the NAS for data recovery.  Plans for the rewiring are available, though I can't say for sure what to search for.  There are also methods for recovering via a PC and a Linux Live boot disc if you have a PC with enough SATA ports.

Message 4 of 15
Foe_of_Good
Aspirant

Hi Sandshark, and thank you for your reply.

I've found a guy nearby that is selling a used RNDU4000.
I see it is using the RAIDiator 4.2.xx OS, so this would work to get my data back, right?

Buying this from him would cost about the same as ordering a new PSU from somewhere, so...

Providing the RNDU4000 will work for me, will it overwrite my data automaticly if I put in disk 4 by mistake, or will there be a warning like on my newer model?
I am fairly sure I have put my disks in order after i pulled them out, I'm just not 100% if the order is 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 or 4 - 3 - 2 - 1....

Again, thanks for your reply 🙂

Message 5 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Foe_of_Good wrote:

I've found a guy nearby that is selling a used RNDU4000.
I see it is using the RAIDiator 4.2.xx OS, so this would work to get my data back, right?

Sorry, that won't work either.  OS 4.1 disks can only be migrated to other OS 4.1 systems.  

One addition to Sandshark's reply-  With help from support you can get your NV+ data volume mounted (as read-only) in an OS-6 NAS.  That will let you copy your data off to other storage.  You can then factory reset the new NAS and copy the data back.

Support will likely charge for that service - you should ask about per-incident support if they do.

Replacing the PSU is certainly one option.  The disks can also be mounted from a linux PC - and most PCs can be booted as linux using a "live" USB boot disk.

Message 6 of 15
Foe_of_Good
Aspirant

Gods darn it...
No way to install 4.1 OS on the RNDU4000 either?

Message 7 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Foe_of_Good wrote:

No way to install 4.1 OS on the RNDU4000 either?

No.  OS 4.1 only runs on NAS with sparc processors, and NAS with sparc processors can only run OS 4.1.

Message 8 of 15
Foe_of_Good
Aspirant

Ah, yes, there is that...

Ok, so do you think I could use the PSU from the RNDU4000 to power up my NV+ again?
Or are those two PSU's miles apart as well?

Message 9 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Foe_of_Good wrote:

Ah, yes, there is that...

Ok, so do you think I could use the PSU from the RNDU4000 to power up my NV+ again?
Or are those two PSU's miles apart as well?

The pinout on the NV+ connector is nonstandard, so there's a change you'd have to make there.  If you don't try to put the PSU into the NV+ chassis, you can do that change on an extender cable (leaving the PSU wiring intact).  Hopefully @Sandshark will chime in on this, since he's very knowledgable on PSU replacement.

Message 10 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, the power supplies are interchangeable, and not really very hard to swap.  It will get your system back up if that's all that's wrong; and if I were betting, that would be the best bet.  If the power supply took something with it when it died, you're in trouble.  If something else took the supply out, it's worse (you likely fry the other supply).

Message 11 of 15
Foe_of_Good
Aspirant

I've just taken out the PSU and I can see that the board in there is fried. There was sot on the housing too, and is the only place that smells of burnt electronics. There was quite the amount of little dust bunnies in there, so either they have caused a short, or it's due of old age. The thing has been running 24/7 for gods know how long...
I see that I have the 331-10006-02 PSU. If I am not mistaken, I can then use this PSU as a direct replacement without any modification?
http://www.evercase.co.uk/CompatibilityListReadynas.htm

I'm having problems getting hold of the guy selling the RNDU4000. But you (Sandshark) are positive I can use the PSU from the RNDU4000 without modifications?
I'm not that capable with modding electronics, so fairly plug&play is prefferable 😛
I would rather buy his used box than buying a new PSU that is just as expensive, as his used box also has alot bigger capacity.

Thank you guys for all your help this far!

Message 12 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

I am absolutely positive that the 4-bay desktop legacy units with internal power supplies  (NV, NX+v1, NVX, Ultra4, Ultra4Plus, and Pro4) use the same power supply with the same wiring.  The absolutely earliest NV' (not NV+) and some (maybe all) of the rack-mount units use the same wiring and form factor, but the supply has a fan in it that won't exhaust properly in the other units without some modification of the mounting or chassis, but it could be used for data recovery with the supply not bolted down.  I own or have owned all those listed above but the Pro4 and have taken them all apart to clean out the dust bunnies (if not for something else).

The RN316 and RN516 also use the same wiring and form factor, but they have the additional 4-pin CPU connector and a fan.  Chances are other newer models do as well.

Message 13 of 15
Foe_of_Good
Aspirant

Ok, thank you again Sandshark.

It would be nice to just take out the PSU from the used RNDU4000 to recover my data, then put it back in and continue to use the RNDU4000, instead of buying a new PSU for the NV+ for the same price and continue using that old hag.

So I'll follow your gut feeling and try and get hold of the guy selling the RNDU4000 and do a temp PSU swap.

Thank you again for all your help. Means the world to me 🙂

Message 14 of 15
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Foe_of_Good,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback. It does appear that you decided to get a new PSU for you readynas device, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements