× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Google mail notification setup issue

netracer
Apprentice

Google mail notification setup issue

I've had been getting a whole bunch of errors from my Google account about a non-secure device trying to connect and I finally traced it down to my Readynas email notifications which were using old authentication methods (thank you Google for not being any more specific than "a device in NJ tried to access your account" - helps a lot).

Anyway, the OS6 Systems | Settings | Alerts section has a button for using Google, which invokes the requisite OATH2 authentication process.   All that works well and good, but doing so locks out the advanced options section (SMTP Server / Port / From / TLS) and the interface will not let me "Apply and Send Message" until those fields are complete.

Caught in a bit of a catch 22.  The system won't seem to apply the settings until i fill in the blanks, but it's locked me out of the settings field...  ????

Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@netracer wrote:

Anyway, the OS6 Systems | Settings | Alerts section has a button for using Google, which invokes the requisite OATH2 authentication process.   All that works well and good, but doing so locks out the advanced options section (SMTP Server / Port / From / TLS) and the interface will not let me "Apply and Send Message" until those fields are complete.

None of this is required - just trigger the [Sign in with Google], in the pop-up select the Google account (ideally already authenticated in your browser), grant the access to the "ReadyNAS Email Notification" (a follow up in the pop-up), wait some seconds - and everything is in place. You receive a message in the Gmail inbox (like "ReadyNAS Email Notification was granted access to your Google account"). No need to enter any data like SMTP server, port, from, ... nor to use an apply button.

This works smoothly with decent browsers and not to much Internet "Security" stuff in place.

Message 2 of 6
netracer
Apprentice

Thank you for the response, but still no joy.  I go through the whole Google Sign in process:

1) Click log in with Google

2) The popup window for google login appears.

3) I Sign in

4) The Readynas Email notification prompt to allow access to your Google Account appears

5) I click Allow

6) I get prompted - Cloud Storage requires the following permissions (redirecting your personal information to http://192.168.xxx.xxx.  Please verify this is your nas

7) I click Agree

Result attached in a screenshot.

Won't let me Apply and send a message until i complete the smtp info.

Regarding the message - "Email service to send alerts is not configured." - am i possibly missing a secondary configuration somewhere?

If i refresh, or move to a different page and come back, the settings are lost and the google buttons turns back into a 'sign in with google'

Thanks in advance.

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

All fields are perfectly added here - permitting I'm using a true Gmail (@gmail.com) account.

When using a Google business account on an own domain, we have to add the missing details manually.

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Appears G-Suite (Google Business) e-mail accounts are not supported by using the K.I.S.S. Gmail cofig.

Message 5 of 6
netracer
Apprentice

And that would explain it.  Its a gsuite account because I have my own domain.

Verified that  me @ gmail.com works just fine.

Just curious, but do we know if this is a netgear side limit or possibly a buried setting in gsuite?

Thank you for your help!!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements