× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

HDD Replacement after drive failiure

dbsx
Aspirant

HDD Replacement after drive failiure

Hi folks,

a WD20EARS drive in my ReadyNas NV+ recently failed. Now I got a replacement drive from WD, but they sent me a WD20EZRX. (which is not in the compaibility list)
I've installed this drive but it now has the status "dead". Does this implies that this device is not working in the NV+?
Or is there any chance to get this drive running?

Thanks in advance for your help.

dbsx
Message 1 of 5
dbsx
Aspirant

Re: HDD Replacement after drive failiure

After a file system check the new drive is now in Resync, "problem" solved 🙂
Message 2 of 5
c0ldc0ne
Aspirant

Thanks for confirming. I RMA'd a dead WD20EARS earlier this week and just saw that I'm being shipped a WD20EZRX as a replacement as well. Good to hear that the drive plays nice with the NV+. 🙂
Message 3 of 5
ulos
Aspirant

I had a recent X-RAID expansion issue, when contacted the customer care they tried to help me till they found I had WD20EZRX. Then they kinda brushed me off to Factory Reset !!

Even though WD20EZRX is not that different from WD20EARX, rep insisted on WD20EZRX not being on comparability list.

After a Factory reset the drives have expanded to full capacity.... making "X-RAID " "TM " useless.

OFF Topic:

Short description of Problem: On Readynas NV+
stage 1 : 1Tb seagate hdd

Stage 2 : wanted to upgrade, so bought 2 2TB WD20EZRX and planned to add 2TB WD20EARX (old) from the desktop. After init and resync the volume size was 931GB (Ch1: 1TB and Ch:3 2TB, Ch:2 2TB in Available). Here I expected it to expand to RAID 5 931GB config, but no.

Stage 3: Removed Ch1: 1TB and replaced it with disk from Ch:2 2TB. Now its just 2 2TB drives on Ch1 and Ch3. After resync the effective volume size is still 931GB. I expected ~2TB mirrored.

That is when contacted the customer care....

After pain full data swapping and factory reset it shows 1859GB mirrored.

Stage 4: Just added WD20EARX on Ch2, its initializing.... hopefully after resync it switched to RAID 5 config..... fingers crossed
Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

ulos wrote:
I had a recent X-RAID expansion issue, when contacted the customer care they tried to help me till they found I had WD20EZRX. Then they kinda brushed me off to Factory Reset !!

Even though WD20EZRX is not that different from WD20EARX, rep insisted on WD20EZRX not being on comparability list.
That is their support policy. If your disks are not on the HCL, then support will not help with disk-related problems.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements