× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: HDD issue.

enbeekay
Aspirant

HDD issue.

Hi.
I've had an issue with an HDD in a ReadyNAS NV+ v2.
I've got messages saying a drive had failed and the system had shut down.
The system is populated with 4x3TB Seagate HDD's.

Due to this i changed the HDD for a WD red 3TB drive and when i took the faulty drive out, i ran diagnostics (seatools for windows) on the "failed" drive...which have strangely all passed?

Could the ReadyNAS be giving false readings regarding the health of the drive? After that i put the "failed" drive back in after erasing all partitions so that the drive would re-sync, recieved a notification saying it would be resync'd with that drive...yet stopped without any more notifications so i do not know if the system would have blacklisted that drive.

I have the drives set to spin down after 20 minutes of inactivity. Seemingly at around 2am for reasons i cannot figure out, all the drives spin up. Every night. it is around that time the system shut down due to the "failed" drive.
Would this indicate a hardware failure with the drive or a one off case of not being able to spin up, if that is actually what happened?

In short...I am not sure if there is actually an issue with the drive or if the ReadyNAS is mis-reporting. I also do not know if the system would have blacklisted that drive in any way to stop it re-syncing (or if the drive is actually faulty because no further messages were in the system logs). And a side issue, i don't know why the discs spin up in the middle of the night.

Any help/information/advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 8
vandermerwe
Master

What firmware are you on?
Did you run an extended or long test with seatools? The short test will miss errors.

I would make sure you have a backup, then insert the new wd drive after making sure you check the idle setting and adjusting it if necessary.
Message 2 of 8
enbeekay
Aspirant

I always run the latest RAIDiator.
Seatools (windows) tests run were Short DST, Long DST, Short generic, Long generic and SMART...as both USB drive connected in my dock (seatools didnt not e-sata for some reason) and SATA.

Resync has finished on the new drive which leaves me more puzzled as to why the NAS didnt resync back to the "faulty" drive when the system was detecting it with status "ok"

*edit*
on the subject of 2am spin ups...
Feb 16 02:00:01 NAS /USR/SBIN/CRON[8721]: (root) CMD (/etc/frontview/addons/bin/APPGENIE/cp.d/cpinst/cp_updater.sh readynas /etc/frontview/addons/bin/APPGENIE/cp.d http://updates.netgear.com/ecosystem/repo /etc/frontviewaddons/bin/APPGENIE)

any way to stop that updater running? I don't even have app genie enabled...
Message 3 of 8
vandermerwe
Master

What model seagate?
Not sure how to get genie off, but could you have the nas off overnight?
Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Did you look at the SMART stats or the log on the NAS before you removed the seagate?

Also, perhaps look at the SMART stats on a PC. Seatools uses higher thresholds than I'd like. Acronis Drive Monitor is one of several freeware tools that will let you see them.

I also suggest running the destructive write test - no reason not to, and I have found that it will uncover bad sectors that the other tests miss.
Message 5 of 8
enbeekay
Aspirant

ST3000DM001 for the seagates
Stephen: SMART tests all pass, POST on the PC passes all the SMART checks too...i didn't check on the NAS, which log would it be? I've had a look at system logs and there isnt a great deal of information there (other than disk 0 disappearing from the RAID setup and on one strange occasion disk 0 being there and 1 not).

Is the destructive write test on seatools? and would it work over the USB dock so i don't have to open up my PC again? 😉
Thanks

*edit
I've also looked around crontab, cron.d, cron.dail and i can't find where the hell that appgenie update is coming from every day at 2am...
I'd very much like to stop it as I don't even use appgenie! :?
Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

The write test is in seatools, and it should work even if the drive is in the dock.
Message 7 of 8
enbeekay
Aspirant

On the latest seatools there's shoot test, drive information, short generic, long generic and advanced tests which are USB erase tracks basic or full disc erase...

Guess it'd be the full disc erase :?

*edit* which interestingly fails pretty quickly...
maybe i'll try it on SATA and see if i get the same results

*edit 2*
plugged it into my PC SATA...and it actually passed the full erase.
now running USB erase again and it seems to be going OK...
Guess i'll just put it down to an intermittently faulty disc and hope there's nothing up with the NAS.

Just need to figure out how to stop that 2am genieapps update running every day now!
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements