× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

HP P1005 problems

CutterK
Aspirant

HP P1005 problems

Hi all I hope someone can help me with this.

I have a HP P1005 laser printer connected to my RND4000. It works well for a few days then it wont print. it shows as running fine in all areas just wont print.
Message 1 of 7
PapaBear1
Guide

Re: HP P1005 problems

What happens if you reboot just the printer?
Message 2 of 7
CutterK
Aspirant

No change it still wont print.

The last time it stopped working it was halfway through printing a document and ran out of paper I reloaded the paper and nothing.
Message 3 of 7
PapaBear1
Guide

That model is a "host based" printer and they do not play well with the print server in the ReadyNAS units. Most of HP's printers are PCL (Printer Control Language) printers starting with the original Laserjet in the early 1980's. They do have a line of inexpensive printers in the 1000 number range that are host based, meaning the image is created by the computer and sent to the printer as opposed to the PCL printers in which the raw data is sent to the printer and the image is created by the CPU in the actual printer.

What operating system are you operating on your PC's and how many PC's are printing to the printer?
Message 4 of 7
CutterK
Aspirant

I have 3 desktops and one laptop all running windows 7.
Message 5 of 7
PapaBear1
Guide

Are you running the driver that was on the CD or the latest from the HP website.

Does the printer act the same regardless of which PC is generating the print job?

I noted in research, that this particular printer was not highly rated and a similar problem was quoted in user reviews. No mention of whether they were using a print server or a direct connection to a PC.

What do you have to do to get the printer to work?

Does rebooting the NAS do it?
Message 6 of 7
CutterK
Aspirant

I have got the latest drivers available and it does the same thing on all computers. As for getting it working, I have to reinstall on all computers to get it working through the NAS again. I can plug it into one of my desktops and share and all is well never had any problems that way it just dosent seem to like going through the nas. oh and rebooting the Nas dosent work.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements