× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Has anyone found the WD RED drives to be more reliable than a standard drive?

miogpsrocks
Tutor

I'm not sure how much marketing type is around these red drives or how much more they are actually worth. 

RAID is supposed to work for any inexpensive drive which was the concept at least vs enterprise level SCSI drives. 

Are the red drives worth the extra money from real world experience?

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Has anyone found the WD RED drives to be more reliable than a standard drive?

@miogpsrocks wrote:

RAID is supposed to work for any inexpensive drive which was the concept at least vs enterprise level SCSI drives. 

Often consumer drives don't work well.  One issue is TLER (time limited error recovery) support, which is usually missing in consumer drives. Vibration can be a concern in larger configurations.  Reds are supposed to have improved vibration control.

@miogpsrocks wrote:

Are the red drives worth the extra money from real world experience?

Amazon has WD Blue 4 TB at $118 today, and WD Red 4 TB at $134.  The extra $16 gets you TLER, which I think is important for RAID.  

I don't know whether the Reds are more reliable fhan the Blues or the Greens.  What they have are the recommended features for RAID-5.  As I replied on the other thread, I've bought WD Reds for my ReadyNAS since 2012 - so I do find them worth the extra money.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements