× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help my OLD READYnas drives are Not Recognized.

JGwartney
Aspirant

Help my OLD READYnas drives are Not Recognized.

I've searched the forums and I can't seem to find a solution, so here is my situation.

Over 15 years ago I purchased an Infrant READYnas X6 (RNX6-DLS) version B.  I installed 4 - 500GB Seagate drives and used it to store my files for several years without much trouble.  About 10 years ago I unplugged and stored it.  Fast forward to now. 

I want to have access to those files again. 

Of course several things have changed since I last used it including a new laptop, wifi and netgear switches (NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS108) & NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS105NA).  I'm using the TP-Link Deco WiFi 6 Mesh System(Deco X20) with three extenders that are wired using Ethernet Cat 6 back to the Modem (Motorola MB8600 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem).
I'm running the current version of MACos. (12.3.1) on my MacBook Pro (M1Max - 2021).

After plugging in the READYnas x6 all drive lights are stable and seems to be operating as it should.  It is directly plugged into the switch using a Ethernet Cat 6 cable that is plugged into the wall and back to the Modem/Router. 

My issue is that my Network doesn't recognize the READYnas X6.  I have the MAC address from the READYnas itself but I cannot find the IP address even after doing the terminal prompt "ifconfig" and "arp -a".  The MAC address is not listed so I don't know the IP address.  I cannot install RAIDiator on my machine either, so I need to figure that out too.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get access to these drives?

Thank you for your expertise.

Jeff

Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Help my OLD READYnas drives are Not Recognized.

@JGwartney wrote:

After plugging in the READYnas x6 all drive lights are stable and seems to be operating as it should.  It is directly plugged into the switch using a Ethernet Cat 6 cable that is plugged into the wall and back to the Modem/Router. 

Are you also seeing the correct LED status for the ethernet connection?

Do you recall if the ReadyNAS was configured to use DHCP?  Or was it configured to use a static address?

There are some other barriers here:

1. Safari (like other browsers) recently dropped TLS 1.0 support, so the HTTPS access needed to get to Frontview will fail.  There is more info on this here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/Workaround-for-ERR-SSL-VERSION-OR-CIPHER...
  2. I believe MacOS dropped support for CIFS/SMB 1 some time ago, so you will need to make sure that AFP is enabled on the NAS (and I guess also the Mac).

If the NAS has a static address, it is possible to do an OS reinstall from the boot menu.  That will reset the network settings to use DHCP, and also will reset the admin password back to factory default - either netgear1 or infrant1 in your case.  Data should not be affected.

Message 2 of 7
JGwartney
Aspirant

Thank you @StephenB for your guidance...

Are you also seeing the correct LED status for the ethernet connection?

- Yes, the ethernet lights all all green and seem active at the backside of the READYnas and NETGEAR switch.

Do you recall if the ReadyNAS was configured to use DHCP? Or was it configured to use a static address?

- It's been so long I'm not certain, but it is possible that I assigned a static IP address 15 years ago.  No idea what it could be though.

There are some other barriers here:

1. Safari (like other browsers) recently dropped TLS 1.0 support, so the HTTPS access needed to get to Frontview will fail.  There is more info on this here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/Workaround-for-ERR-SSL-VERSION-OR-CIPHER...
    - Thank you.  I'll read into it here and see if I can't find a solution using Firefox perhaps?
  2. I believe MacOS dropped support for CIFS/SMB 1 some time ago, so you will need to make sure that AFP is enabled on the NAS (and I guess also the Mac).
    - I'm not sure how to do that since I can't log into the NAS at all.  I'll research a little more about how to do that with my MAC though.

If the NAS has a static address, it is possible to do an OS reinstall from the boot menu.  That will reset the network settings to use DHCP, and also will reset the admin password back to factory default - either netgear1 or infrant1 in your case.  Data should not be affected.

Thank you again for your help.

Jeff

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@JGwartney wrote:

Do you recall if the ReadyNAS was configured to use DHCP? Or was it configured to use a static address?

- It's been so long I'm not certain, but it is possible that I assigned a static IP address 15 years ago.  No idea what it could be though.

You could try installing RAIDar 6.5, and see if that will find it.  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

Not sure if that will work well on an M1 though.

Message 4 of 7
JGwartney
Aspirant

Hmmmm... it's asking that I install:

NETGEAR RAIDar Installer

NETGEAR RAIDar requires OpenJDK (version 11 or higher) or java (JRE version 7 or higher) to be installed on your computer.
Please visit www.java.com or openjdk.java.net to install java before opening RAIDar.

I installed java on my windows machine and it still didn't allow it.

Is this necessary?  I don't really want to install java if I don't HAVE to.

Jeff

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@JGwartney wrote:

Hmmmm... it's asking that I install:

NETGEAR RAIDar Installer

NETGEAR RAIDar requires OpenJDK (version 11 or higher) or java (JRE version 7 or higher) to be installed on your computer.
Please visit www.java.com or openjdk.java.net to install java before opening RAIDar.

Did you download version 6.5?  Or the older 4.3.8?

Message 6 of 7
JGwartney
Aspirant

RAIDar_6.5.0.dmg

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements