× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help please - can't get into admin page

laserblues2
Aspirant

Help please - can't get into admin page

Hello, I have two NAS - a Synology and a Netgear. Unfortunately I much prefer the Synology so rarely use the Netgear and have decided it will be for backup only. I had set it up about 6 months ago and used my usual user id & password, last night I tried to log in to it and it wouldn't work. If i use the standard log in, it allows me in but says 'no shares available' and if i try to log into the admin it doesn't work. So I did a OS reinstall on it so I could use the default admin / password settings. This still doesn't work? 

Basically I just want to be able to back up home photos / videos to it, in case there's ever an issue with my Synology. Any suggestions on how I'd do this? Or how I get back into it?

Thanks, Nick

Model: RNDX4000 (ReadyNAS NVX)|READYNAS NVX DISKLESS DESKTOP NETWORK STORAGE|EOL
Message 1 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Help please - can't get into admin page

The default password on an NVX running OS 4.2.x is netgear1.

I'm not surprised you prefer the newer Synology inteface to the 13-year-old ReadyNAS 4.2 one.  Unfortunately, the NVX is a 32-bit system and OS6 requires 64-bit, so you can't upgrade.

Message 2 of 4
laserblues2
Aspirant

Brilliant, thank you!! I was really struggling to get into it & didn't find that password anywhere!!

It's an old NAS that I acquired, I had planned to buy another at some point but just haven't got round to it and the only need for it is to backup photos & videos of kids etc. Any suggestions of how to do it would be great

Thank you again

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@laserblues2 wrote:

I was really struggling to get into it & didn't find that password anywhere!!

Then you didn't find the manuals.  You can find them here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rndx4000%20(readynas%20nvx).aspx#docs

Perhaps download them, and put them on both the Synology and the NVX.

@laserblues2 wrote:

It's an old NAS that I acquired, I had planned to buy another at some point but just haven't got round to it and the only need for it is to backup photos & videos of kids etc. Any suggestions of how to do it would be great

For NAS->NAS backup, I suggest using Rsync.  There is a section in the software manual on how to set up backup jobs in the ReadyNAS that you should probably read.  I suggest disabling the SMB protocol on the ReadyNAS if you are using it for backup - that helps isolate the backup from any ransomware attacks.  You can also put the NVX on a power schedule (so it boots up on schedule, updates the backup, and then shuts down).

It's also possible to "push" the backups from the synology - though you should check the synology manuals (or their forum) for information on how to do that.  If you go that router, you won't be able to put the NVX on a power schedule, as it won't know when the backups are being done (or if they are finished).

Either way, enable email alerts on the NVX, so you will get some notifications if something goes wrong. 

Though security folks cringe when I suggest this:  since you only log into the NAS occasionally, consider writing down the admin password and taping it to the inside of the door of the NAS.  Anyone stealing the NAS can get the data w/o it (by doing their own OS reinstall), so I don't see any added security risk.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements