× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help with Dead Duo V1 please?

Farnorthsurfer
Aspirant

Help with Dead Duo V1 please?

My old faithfull ReadyNAS Duo appears to have died and has taken much of my data with it..
It began making a noise like a disc winding up then beeping over and over again. The start switch light is pulsing regularly.
Reset failed to work and the unit can't be found in Raidar or directly. No hard disc drive lights.
Tried a USB Firmware install, got the 4 flashes then it appeared to load and install, after shutdown I rebooted it but no joy.
So sorry but there are no logs to help you help me out.
I loaded the drives into my Windows 7 PC and used R-Linux, got about 80% of my data back, some of it mangled, not sure if that is R-Linux or a symptom.

Can I get spares or does it have to go back to Netgear?
It is probably not worth sending back as I am pretty sure it is out of warranty and anyway I have installed an 80mm fan so it would not be covered.
Any ideas or help gratefully received, I have searched the forum but found nothing like it.

Thanks
Message 1 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Help with Dead Duo V1 please?

If you boot the NAS into tech support mode (http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu) does it show up in RAIDar (http://www.readynas.com/downloads)? Monitor the NAS in RAIDar and it may tell you if a disk has failed.
Message 2 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Ah I see you've tried data recovery using a Windows machine already. Have you been able to test the disks using vendor tools?

What RAID configuration were you using? The default X-RAID or something else?

With the 3 year warranty voided there's probably not much if anything NetGear support would be able to do to help.
Message 3 of 12
Farnorthsurfer
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions mdgm
I tried Tech Support mode and RAIDar already but with no luck.
Just finished running drive test tools on both drives which both pass no problem.

Sadly it seems to be a hardware failure in the Duo for some reason.
It couldn't be the MOBO battery could it??????

Anyone know if I buy a barebones Duo V1 and put in the drives will it boot with the data intact?

Just for general reporting the drives are Samsung F1's with 1AA01113 firmware and have clocked up 50163 hours in the Duo.
I have had some success in recovering data with R-Linux (free software) and as it is only some TV series and not my music or documents that have gone things are not too stressed out.
Replaced the Duo with a WD MyBookLive on the network and a USB 3.0 drive mirror on the PC. Keen to have data sets handled by different appliances for some strange reason.
Always had photos and irreplaceable stuff in two places anyway, phew.
Thanks
Mark
Message 4 of 12
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

Mark
If you keep the drives in the same order and then place them into another duo v1 chassis the data should still be present. The following directions should get you set up nicely:
1. Obtain replacement chassis
2. Insert one blank drive (not from the previous RAID)
3. Boot, and then upgrade the firmware to match the previous unit
4. Shutdown, and remove blank drive
5. Place all drives from previous chassis into replacement chassis in same exact order
6. Boot and enjoy your data
Message 5 of 12
PapaBear1
Guide

You may not be able to find an new Duo v1, but if you are in the U.S., Newegg has the NV+ v1 (same architecture, just two more slots and the LED panel) for $250.
Message 6 of 12
Farnorthsurfer
Aspirant

OK I know this is quite a delay but I have established the fault with my Duo and thought I would post it for the benefit of others.
Hope it helps someone particularly if other Duo units are getting to a certain age perhaps.
To recap the symptoms
"It began making a noise like a disc winding up then beeping over and over again. The start switch light is pulsing regularly."
Nothing was accessible.
It turns out that the AC Adapter power supply unit was faulty and causing the unit to fail as described.
The light on the AC adapter works fine and the Duo appeared to be powered up so I never suspected the PSU.
My thanks to a friend with another Duo who actually found the problem.
Thanks for your responses.
Message 7 of 12
chirpa
Luminary

Did you get your PSU replaced?
Message 8 of 12
Farnorthsurfer
Aspirant

Hi chirpa
Yes, I bought a replacement 12v 5A generic from Amazon which seems to work just fine.
It is a Channel Well Technology CAD060121 if anyone is interested and has an earth pin kettle socket and a straight connector which suits the Duo.
All of the files were still on the drive that I kept so it all turned out well in the end.
I reformatted the second drive but will now put it back in the Duo and restore the mirror.
Hoping to check out the Netgear PSU with my AVO in work tomorrow to see which parameter is defunct.
Not sure of the age of my Duo and I have done the 80mm fan modification so I didn't want to try and claim a PSU on warranty.
Thanks for the interest
Message 9 of 12
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

Once you have tested that out, let us know what you find.
Message 10 of 12
chirpa
Luminary

Farnorth, PM me your serial number, I'll check the warranty remaining.
Message 11 of 12
Farnorthsurfer
Aspirant

Hi Chirpa
PM sent

Surprised to see that when I tested the faulty PSU the volts were 12.81v which I would think is in tolerance.
The Fluke gave a figure of 9.58 amps output which is high but I am not sure it is a very relevant measurement.
So the fault in the PSU remains unresolved but the Duo has been working with the Channel Well unit for over 48 hours.
Very happy to have my data back.
With regard to unit failures would Netgear possibly consider publishing a small recovery program for Windows PC's that would allow RAID-X files to be saved.
That would have saved me a lot of trouble.
Thanks
Mark
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements