× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Help with NAS connection

damcats12
Aspirant

Help with NAS connection

My ReadyNAS NV+ RND4425 has been working great for many years.   I just purchased a new PC (HP Envy Desktop, Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core Processor, Intel UHD Graphics 630, 64GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB SSD + 2TB HDD, HDMI, VGA, USB Type-C, Wireless-AX Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, Windows 11 Home).  I cannot access the NAS when connecting to me new PC.  I turned on SMB and that didn't help.  When I click on the NAS drive icon that shows up in the Network section of This PC, I receive the following message:  Error 0x80004002: No such interface supported.  When I try to go to the NAS Radar site, I receive the following:  This site can't support a secure connection.  10.0.0.22 uses an unsupported protocol.  ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH.

Not sure what firmware I am running as I cannot access my NAS as this time, but it has been a very long time since I updated the firmware. 

I appreciate any ideas / assistance!

Message 1 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@damcats12 wrote:

When I try to go to the NAS Radar site, I receive the following:  This site can't support a secure connection.  10.0.0.22 uses an unsupported protocol.  ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH.

Browsers dropped support for TLS 1.0 a few months ago - which creates an issue for legacy NAS because they don't support TLS 1.2.

You can try running Edge in IE mode - there is a useful guide for that here: https://www.pcworld.com/article/632674/how-to-use-internet-explorer-mode-in-microsoft-edge.html  Then browse to https://10.0.0.22/admin

If that fails, you can alternatively install an old version of FireFox (94.0.2 works), and connect with that.  You will need to manually disable autoupdate in the browser.

Either way, you will still get a security warning that you will need to click through (but not the SSL Version/Cipher Mismatch error).

There is more information on this topic here:

Though that thread has gotten a bit long, so if you have questions about it, perhaps post them here.

@damcats12 wrote:

I turned on SMB and that didn't help.  When I click on the NAS drive icon that shows up in the Network section of This PC, I receive the following message:  Error 0x80004002: No such interface supported. 

First, make sure you enabled the SMB 1/CIFS client in "turn windows features on or off".  You will get a security warning that you need to ignore.

Then try entering \\10.0.0.22 in the File Explorer address bar (being careful to use the correct slash direction).  See if that gives you the share list.

Message 2 of 18
damcats12
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen.  I was able to get to my share lists via file explorer as you recommended.  I am still unable too access the Radar admin web page even using the IE mode workaround you explained, although the message is different now.  I am getting an authentication error.  Assuming it requires my id and password, I am not sure how I go about entering my id=admin, password=netgear1 credentials as I am not given any screen to enter.   Is that something I need to do via CMD, which I have no idea how to do?  What do you suggest as my next step?   I really appreciate your help!

David

Message 3 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@damcats12 wrote:

I am still unable too access the Radar admin web page even using the IE mode workaround you explained, although the message is different now.  I am getting an authentication error.  Assuming it requires my id and password, I am not sure how I go about entering my id=admin, password=netgear1 credentials as I am not given any screen to enter.   

There are a couple of possibilities here.  One is that the browser might have the old password saved.  You can try opening an inPrivate window in Edge - if that's the problem, then it should get you to the pop-up window where you enter the credentials.

Maybe also make sure pop-ups are allowed ( go to edge://settings/content/popups )

You will also still get a security warning from the browser, because the NAS certificate is self-signed.  You can overcome that by clicking on "advanced", and then clicking on the link that the browser thinks is "unsafe".

clickthrough.png

Note your error message might not be exactly the same as the one above.

Message 4 of 18
damcats12
Aspirant

Hi Stephen.  I followed all of your recommendations and after clicking through advanced for the unsafe content, I am receiving the following:

Authorization Required

This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

Any other ideas or suggestions on how to get to Radar?   I can now access my NAS shares from my PC so that is a huge step forward, thank you.   Please advise at your convenience.    Appreciate your assistance!

Message 5 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@damcats12 wrote:

Hi Stephen.  I followed all of your recommendations and after clicking through advanced for the unsafe content, I am receiving the following:

Authorization Required

Did you see the pop-up window to enter your credentials?

If not, is it possible that the browser has saved old credentials for the NAS IP address?

Message 6 of 18
damcats12
Aspirant

Hi, I did not see the window pop up to enter my credentials. Any other ideas? Do I need older version of a browser that supports TLS 1.0/1.1? If so, how do I do that or did the internet explorer mode in edge essentially do that when I tried your recommendation earlier?
Message 7 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@damcats12 wrote:
Hi, I did not see the window pop up to enter my credentials. Any other ideas? Do I need older version of a browser that supports TLS 1.0/1.1? If so, how do I do that or did the internet explorer mode in edge essentially do that when I tried your recommendation earlier?

IE mode is all you need to get TLS 1.0.  If you aren't seeing the SSL protocol/Cipher mismatch, then TLS isn't the issue.

Try opening up an inPrivate window in Edge, and navigate to the NAS admin page, and see if that helps.  You might need to right-click on the tab after you do that and reload the tab in IE mode.  (You'd only need to do that if you see the SSL protocol/Cipher mismatch again).

Message 8 of 18
damcats12
Aspirant

Hi Stephen.  I tried your suggestions and tried http://10.0.0.22/admin and still received the following below.  Any other ideas?  Thanks again for your help!

Authorization Required

This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

Message 9 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@damcats12 wrote:

I tried your suggestions and tried http://10.0.0.22/admin and still received the following below.  Any other ideas?  Thanks again for your help!

Authorization Required

Did you see the pop-up login prompt?  

Can you also try this in an incognito window?

Message 10 of 18
damcats12
Aspirant

Hi, I have not seen the pop-up window asking for credentials.  I tried incognito and this is the message I am receiving.

This site can’t provide a secure connection

10.0.0.22 uses an unsupported protocol.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

Unsupported protocol
The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite.
Message 11 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@damcats12 wrote:

Hi, I have not seen the pop-up window asking for credentials.  I tried incognito and this is the message I am receiving.

This site can’t provide a secure connection

10.0.0.22 uses an unsupported protocol.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

Unsupported protocol
The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite.

Which means you aren't in IE mode.  You can right-click on the the tab, and reload the page in IE mode

Message 12 of 18
damcats12
Aspirant

Hi Stephen.  I am in IE mode and I open in-private browsing.  I see the explorer icon on left of URL window.   When I enter 10.0.0.22/admin I get the following message:

This site is not secure
This might mean that someone’s trying to fool you or steal any info you send to the server. You should close this site immediately.
Your PC doesn’t trust this website’s security certificate.
The hostname in the website’s security certificate differs from the website you are trying to visit.

Error Code: DLG_FLAGS_INVALID_CA
DLG_FLAGS_SEC_CERT_CN_INVALID

Then I click on the link above and get the following message.

Authorization Required

Message 13 of 18
StephenB
Guru

I just created and posted a step-by-step, and didn't run into that error:

If you do this again, does the error recur?

You could try installing FireFox 94.0.2, and see if you can get in with that:

Make sure you don't let it auto-update. Per https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-older-version-firefox

Important: By default, Firefox is set for automatic updates. To prevent Firefox from automatically updating itself after you install an older version, you'll need to change your Firefox update settings: Click the menu button and select Settings. In the General panel, go to the Firefox Updates section.

Message 14 of 18
damcats12
Aspirant

Hi Stephen. I tried your first set of steps and I am receiving the exact same messages. However, I tried the older Firefox version and that worked. I am now able to access the ReadyNAS frontview dashboard. Thank you so much! It looks like I am running firmware RAIDiator 4.1.14 [1.00a043]. Is there a more recent firmware that you recommend I install or should I just leave the ReadyNas NV+ device as is since it is working fine? Thanks again!!

Message 15 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@damcats12 wrote:

It looks like I am running firmware RAIDiator 4.1.14 [1.00a043]. Is there a more recent firmware that you recommend I install or should I just leave the ReadyNas NV+ device as is since it is working fine? Thanks again!!

I'd install the final firmware (4.1.16)

If you want to install this manually, then download the zip from the link and extract the binary.  Then upload the binary to the NAS.

Message 16 of 18
damcats12
Aspirant

Hi Stephen.  I just upgraded to the latest firmware and all is working well.  I want to thank you for getting me through this ordeal.  I really appreciate the time you spent with me.    Thank you!

David

Message 17 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@damcats12 wrote:

Hi Stephen.  I just upgraded to the latest firmware and all is working well. 

Great!  I'm glad I was able to help.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements