× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help with data recovery after crash

jdlt
Aspirant

Help with data recovery after crash

Help/advice needed:

I have a 4 disks ReadyNAS314, configured in Raid5. This weekend my disk 2 (=parity disks) suddenly stopped worked. Normally no problem because a Raid5 can survive that. However, before the new disk I ordered could arrive also disk 1 stopped working. So now I have a dead system and my readynas no longer sees the volume.

Is their a way to still rebuild the volume with 2 new disks and save some of the data on disks 3 and 4 that are still working?

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Help with data recovery after crash

One option is to try to clone the disk 1 to one of replacements.   You'd use a cloning tool that does sector-by-sector copying to do that.  Clonezilla is one possibility.

Then power down the NAS, insert the clone, and power up the system.

Cloning disk 2 might also be possible, but it's likely out of sync with the array.

Message 2 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Disk 2 is not a "parity disk".  The parity and all of the data is spread across all drives, so you cannot recover anything from a subset of less than 3 of 4.  Hopefully, the second failed drive is healthy enough to the cloning procedure, so you'll have three drives to work with.

Message 3 of 5
jdlt
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice. I'm cloning the faulty disks now.

Would you advice to swap out the 2 faulty disk together and put in the cloned ones, or only do one and let the array try a rebuild before replacing the second problem disk?

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@jdlt wrote:

Would you advice to swap out the 2 faulty disk together and put in the cloned ones, or only do one and let the array try a rebuild before replacing the second problem disk?

Disk 2 failed a while before disk 1, so it is probably out of sync with the array.  So I wouldn't use the clone of disk 2.  Just leave the slot empty.  Then boot the system up read-only using the instructions on page 74 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

If you have access to your data, then back it up right away (before you insert a new disk into slot 2).

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements