× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hidden SMB shares become visible after FW upgrade

Hidden SMB shares become visible after FW upgrade

Hello there! After the recent upgrade (it displays FW 6.9.5) the list of SMB shares has been grown a bit: now it includes "admin", "data", "home", "RNXconfig", and "WindowsBackup", which wasn't supposed to be visible for everyone. On the other hand, some of hidden folders I did configure are still invisible.

I can't hide them on  the admin panel, as there are no shares called "data", "home" or "admin"

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Hidden SMB shares become visible after FW upgrade

@SauvageSausage wrote:

I can't hide them on  the admin panel, as there are no shares called "data", "home" or "admin"

You are seeing these because you are accessing the NAS with admin credentials.  If you use different credentials, these three will disappear.

@SauvageSausage wrote:

"RNXconfig", and "WindowsBackup", which wasn't supposed to be visible for everyone.

Do you mean they weren't supposed to be visible to anyone?  A share is either hidden or it's not.  

Did you double-check that file explorer isn't configured to view hidden files and folders?

Message 2 of 4

@StephenB wrote:

@SauvageSausage wrote:

You are seeing these because you are accessing the NAS with admin credentials.  If you use different credentials, these three will disappear.

Thanks. I don't remeber I logged there with admin creds, but I gave it a try:

PS> net use \\abox /delete
The network connection could not be found.

PS> net  use * /delete

There are no entries in the list.

PS Administrator> net use * /delete

There are no entries in the list.

That's confusing because I have my own username and password saved. And guess what... admin resources have gone!  "RNXconfig", "Windows backup" and my home folder are there though. It seems my user is logged now.

Now I wonder why my user is logged there. I suppose it's a question to Microsoft, but still.

There is a chance some of my scripts have logged as admin on NAS, but a quick look through the scripts didn't show any suspicious code, or even an admin log/pass. I wish it was a Windows glitch!

Do you mean they weren't supposed to be visible to anyone?  A share is either hidden or it's not.  

I would like to see it a per-user option one day, BTW.

Did you double-check that file explorer isn't configured to view hidden files and folders?

In fact, the answer is positive in a way Explorer is configured to show the files with the "HIDDEN" attribute. But hidden shares are another story. Windows to hide the share just append a control sign to the share name (and the control sign is "$" so I suppose isn'), and Samba is actually removes the share name from the listing.

(for the sake of science, just created a folder called "test$" on NAS - and Win10 Explorer doesn't display it)

P.S. are there any new features in Win10 networking part? if they changed the way it stores the saved credentials, it could be kinda answer - at least, the part with NET USE * /DELETE with confusing output messages and behaviour.

(Shame on you, Microsoft. Is it that hard to show the username and the log as/logout button in the Explorer window? Why do users need to employ black magic for such basic operations?)

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@SauvageSausage wrote:

In fact, the answer is positive in a way Explorer is configured to show the files with the "HIDDEN" attribute. But hidden shares areanother story. Windows to hide the share just append a control sign to the share name (and the control sign is "$" so I suppose isn'), and Samba is actually removes the share name from the listing.

(for the sake of science, just created a folder called "test$" on NAS - and Win10 Explorer doesn't display it)

Sort of.  If you were accessing with admin credentials (as you clearly were earlier on), I think you'd have seen the folder if you'd looked in \data.

Anyway, it's cleaner to use the "hidden" attribute in the share settings

@SauvageSausage wrote:

P.S. are there any new features in Win10 networking part? if they changed the way it stores the saved credentials, it could be kinda answer - at least, the part with NET USE * /DELETE with confusing output messages and behaviour.

I have seen reports in other forums saying that NET USE (including NET USE * /DELETE) sometimes will miss open network sessions - and I have sometimes seen it myself.  I don't know the mechanism, and the only work-around I'm aware of is to reboot the PC.

The storage of the credentials hasn't changed (the windows credential manager has been used for that for some time now).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements