× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Hitachi 2TB 5K3000 Green drive not in HCL ?

volpone
Aspirant

Hitachi 2TB 5K3000 Green drive not in HCL ?

Hello All,
Regarding performance, price and reliability Hitachi 2TB 5K3000 Green Drive seems a good choice to expand my x86 Pro Pioneer (X-Raid2).

Unfortunately this drive (HDS5C3020ALA632) is not currently in the HCL despite the 3TB green model (HDS5C3030ALA630) is.

Any experience with these drives and any chance to see Hitachi "Green" 2TB in HCL soon ?
Thank you in advance.

Regards.
Volpone
Message 1 of 7
AMRivlin
Apprentice

Not sure about the 2TB, and as you noted the 3TB is on the list. I can also confirm the 3TB works just fine. Running 3 in X-Raid2
Message 2 of 7
volpone
Aspirant

AMRivlin wrote:
Not sure about the 2TB, and as you noted the 3TB is on the list. I can also confirm the 3TB works just fine. Running 3 in X-Raid2

Thank you AMRivlin,
How long did you installed the 3TB Hitachi Green disks ?
Also interested in your experiences with Plex Media Server.Do you use 5K3000 disks in the Pro 6 hosting PMS with quite good "real world" perf measurement. cf your post: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=61298&p=343723#p343723 ?

Regards
Volpone
Message 3 of 7
AMRivlin
Apprentice

As a followup to your question;

- The drives have been running since Feb 1, 2012
- The drives are plenty fast as my raid array easily saturates a 1gbps network
- Plex works 100% over wired clients, I imagine I could feed about 6 streams
- Plex works fine over wireless, but at about 3 clients single band 802.11n is saturated and can’t keep up
- See this for stats on the streaming: http://imgur.com/a/5RC6m

I’d say you could run 3 streams to appletv or computers, and 2 feeds to ipads/wifi with no notice of impact.
Now if you really have 5 people in 1 house needing to watch 5+ different shows there might be some other questions for a PM.

So the answer is, the drives work great. I just wish they were 5TB

I bought them for $175 each, they now cost more (I guess due to flooding)
http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0361177

Now when 4K mkv's or whatever container are used in 5 years, a gigabit network will barely handle 1 compressed feed.
Uncompressed 4k is 3.8gbps (477MB/s) I am sure we will use 801.11ad (Wigig 7gbps) and OLED 4K tvs to stream by then. 🙂
Message 4 of 7
PapaBear1
Guide

Volpone - I have been running 2xHitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 and 2xSeagate 1TB drives in both of my NVX units since last June and the 3TB Hitachis each have 5,600 hours on them with not problems. The units file transfer speeds appear to be about 5% slower than when all the drives were 7200 RPM, but it's not that noticeable except on extremely large file copies. I do not have any add ons and do not stream video so cannot respond to that. One is my file server and the other it's backup target.
Message 5 of 7
volpone
Aspirant

PapaBear wrote:
Volpone - I have been running 2xHitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 and 2xSeagate 1TB drives in both of my NVX units since last June and the 3TB Hitachis each have 5,600 hours on them with not problems. The units file transfer speeds appear to be about 5% slower than when all the drives were 7200 RPM, but it's not that noticeable except on extremely large file copies. I do not have any add ons and do not stream video so cannot respond to that. One is my file server and the other it's backup target.

Thank you PapaBear.
I hope the 2TB version (HDS5C3020ALA632) wil be soon in the HCL !
Message 6 of 7
volpone
Aspirant

AMRivlin wrote:
As a followup to your question;

- The drives have been running since Feb 1, 2012
- The drives are plenty fast as my raid array easily saturates a 1gbps network
- Plex works 100% over wired clients, I imagine I could feed about 6 streams
- Plex works fine over wireless, but at about 3 clients single band 802.11n is saturated and can’t keep up
- See this for stats on the streaming: http://imgur.com/a/5RC6m
So the answer is, the drives work great. I just wish they were 5TB

Thank you AMRivlin, i'm also a Readynas Pro / Plex PMS big fan!
I will consider to buy 2x2TB disks HDS5C3020ALA632 version (sadly not currently in the HCL) to update my current Pro Pioneer.

I'm also probably going to buy an alternate 3TB equiped media server powerfull config on a Pro 6 (like yours) or on the new replacement model (from Netgear) if any.
My only concerns is about the form factor, not 19" rackable as 3200 models.

Regards
Volpone
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements