× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Hitachi Drive Replacement on NVX

chipmunk1
Aspirant

Hitachi Drive Replacement on NVX

I have an NVX with 4 x 2TB drives - 2 x Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 and 2 x Hitachi HDS722020ALA330. One HDS722020ALA330 has failed and I need to find a replacement. All existing drives are on the HCL.

Does anyone know whether the Western Digital Red WD20EFRX drives (HCL compatible) will work OK with the above Hitachi drives? The reason for my question is that the Hitachi drives are 7200 rpm whereas the WD use Intellipower which (I understand) can be anything from 5400 to 7200 rpm. I am concerned that this may introduce an incompatibility or adversely affect the NAS performance.

Am I better off trying to find something similar the Hitachi HDS723020BLA642? Problem is that this drive is no longer available on the market. I have found one Hitachi HUA723020ALA640 which is similar to a model listed on the HCL (HUA722020ALA330) however not exactly the same.

Any sugestions welcome.
Message 1 of 3
vandermerwe
Master

It'll be fine with the red drives.
The performance won't be worse than the slowest drives in your device, and in the case of a nas device it's unlikely there will be a noticeable difference.
Message 2 of 3
chipmunk1
Aspirant

Many thanks. I have ordered one of the WD Red drives from Amazon. Should be here Thursday.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements