× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Hot Swap RAID5 4TB disks with 10TB

Alexjccim
Apprentice

Hot Swap RAID5 4TB disks with 10TB

Hello Everyone,

I have a RN214 4-Bay configured in RAID5.

• Disk1: Seagate IronWolf 6TB: Purchased 2020
  • Disk2: Seagate IronWolf 6TB: Purchased 2020
  • Disk3: Seagate IronWolf 4TB: Purchased 2016
  • Disk4: Seagate IronWolf 4TB: Purchased 2016

After completion of the monthly Disk Test, I received this error:

"Detected increasing uncorrectable error count: [16] on disk 3 (Internal) [ST4000VN008-2DR166, WDH0VBLG] 16 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy."

My Question: What are my steps to "Hot Swap" Disk3 & Disk4 with two Seagate IronWolf 10TB drives?

I appreciate any insights you can offer.

-Alex

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

We do recommend making sure you have a backup, as the RAID array isn't redundant during resyncs, and the process does stress the disks.

The process is simple - hot swap disk 3 first, as it is showing signs of failure.  The array will then resync in two steps (and the second step should expand your volume by 2 TB).

After the resync, hot swap disk 4.  That will resync in three steps - the second step will expand your volume by another 2 TB, and the third will expand it by 4 TB.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

We do recommend making sure you have a backup, as the RAID array isn't redundant during resyncs, and the process does stress the disks.

The process is simple - hot swap disk 3 first, as it is showing signs of failure.  The array will then resync in two steps (and the second step should expand your volume by 2 TB).

After the resync, hot swap disk 4.  That will resync in three steps - the second step will expand your volume by another 2 TB, and the third will expand it by 4 TB.

Message 2 of 5
Alexjccim
Apprentice

Stephen,

I appreciate the fast response.  Yes, I have a USB backup on the NAS.  I'll follow-up upon completion.

Thank you,

-Alex

Message 3 of 5
Alexjccim
Apprentice

Stephen,

Everything worked perfectly.  Thank you!

-Alex

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Alexjccim wrote:

Everything worked perfectly. 

Great!  Thx for following up.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats