× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How I want to set up a nas / Will it work? (ReadyNas 316 / AppleTV 3 (NO PLEX)

AWAgentX
Aspirant

How I want to set up a nas / Will it work? (ReadyNas 316 / AppleTV 3 (NO PLEX)

Ok, I've seen no clear answer on the forms, youtube, or anywhere, I'm thinking of dropping the cash on a ReadyNAS 316 (Diskless) and 6x 6TB WD red drives, but before I do I simply want to know, does the "Itunes server" mentioned in the readynas documentation etc. support video? EG: can I put my full libary (12tb of video 1tb of audio) and acces them from my apple tv (Gen3) without my mac being on with itunes running... I don't want to run plex or some other "Transcoding server"... 

Has anyone done this? What were your stumbling blocks?

My libary is 100% DRM free, MP4 Video (Tagged M4V files) and MP3 audio (Full tags) they are all happy with itunes and apple tv via OSX, just don't want to have to have my laptop running in the other room to make my TV work (especally when i'm out of town and my girlfriend wants to watch the movies on appleTV)

Thanks guys!

Message 1 of 7
AlexPe
NETGEAR Expert

Re: How I want to set up a nas / Will it work? (ReadyNas 316 / AppleTV 3 (NO PLEX)

AWAgent,

While I've never created this setup, I believe this will work. The itunes media server on the ReadyNAS OS 6 machines does support mp4 video as shown in this article here.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23071/~/how-do-i-set-up-an-itunes-streaming-server-on-...

So as long as the apple TV can discover the server, this configuration should work correctly. I cannot guarantee it but I believe it should work.

Alex

Message 2 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: How I want to set up a nas / Will it work? (ReadyNas 316 / AppleTV 3 (NO PLEX)

I don't believe our iTunes Server supports Home Sharing, so I don't think this would work.

Personally I use Plex and love it. I have the Plex App installed on the Apple TV 4 and it works great.

Whilst you can transcode using Plex, if Plex can direct play it will do this rather than transcode. You can configure your client to play the highest resolution possible. If the files are in the right format to direct play then as the quality of the video doesn't exceed the quality you've set it will direct play.

Message 3 of 7
AWAgentX
Aspirant

Yeah, i'm reluctant to try plex again, I had all my files tagged with inbeded artwork and info and it changed a bunch of them last time I tried and took me ages to get it all fixed...

Message 4 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well depending on the size of your library you could have two copies of the videos. One for use with Plex and one for not. More work, but it is doable.

If you do change your mind about Plex and decide to use it, I would recommend getting the Apple TV 4.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@AWAgentX wrote:

Yeah, i'm reluctant to try plex again, I had all my files tagged with inbeded artwork and info and it changed a bunch of them last time I tried and took me ages to get it all fixed...

I've seen it get confused and misclassify things, but I haven't seen it actually change the tags.  You could of course set the files to read-only to prevent that.  

But checking the "advanced" box to use embedded tags and choosing the "personal media" agent seems to stop it from adding its own metadata.

Message 6 of 7
BasmaTaimour
Aspirant

you are right

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements