× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How and why to upgrade memory and cpu

nickel22222
Aspirant

How and why to upgrade memory and cpu

How do I know I should upgrade memory or cpu? 

It looks like only one dimm is in there, missing second.

STT DDR2 800 PC6400 

2 GB?

What is the cpu? Is it logged? Reason to increase?

Patrick

I have 6 drives with 32 TB RAID5 (44 GB nominal drives).

Model: ReadyNASRNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
nickel22222
Aspirant

Re: How and why to upgrade memory and cpu

Verified I have e2160 1.8ghz per dmesg and 2gb per mem info.
So to confirm I can double memory and upgrade to e5300 2.6 ghz?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

The Pro 6 has a Pentium Dual-Core E5300  @ 2.60GHz.  You don't get much of a boost going to a Core2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93G, which is the fastest it will accept unless you go with a quad-core, which requires special attention to cooling since it has higher power.

The old Pro BE and Pioneer and the Ultra6Plus use the Pentium Dual-Core  E2160  @ 1.80GHz, which does get quite a boost with the Core2 Duo.  (Though my Ultra6Plus came with the E5300, so those looking to upgrade one of them should check dmesg.log to see what you have).

My opinion is leave the processor alone on the newer Pro6 models and just upgrade the memory.

As for memory, it comes with a 1GB stick.  You can cheaply upgrade to two 2GB sticks of PC6400 DDR2.  It will accept some 4MB sticks (2Rx8, aka low density, non-ECC).  They are less common and were a lot more expensive, but the price is dropping as the technology gets older.  4GB is typically enough, anyway.  I've used OCZ and GSkill low latency (5-4-4) and have had no issues.  Many swear by Crucial, and the standard RAM is typically Hynix.  I've found them to be much less picky than once rumored in this forum.

Message 2 of 4
nickel22222
Aspirant

Verified I have e2160 1.8ghz per dmesg and 2gb per mem info.
So to confirm I can double memory and upgrade to e5300 2.6 ghz?
Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

You can definately go with the upgrades you listed.  Do check that you have the latest BIOS, though, before upgrading the processor.

Personally, I'd go all the way to the Core2 E7500.  They are super cheap on eBay these days, and same TDP as the stock processor.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements