× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do I use my RN 214 to back up my documents in non-default folders?

Mettacittena
Aspirant

How do I use my RN 214 to back up my documents in non-default folders?

Hello All,

I have relocated "My Documents", "Videos", ect... to prioritize space on my C: for Windows 10 and program files.  I did this by redirecting the file path to another drive.  How can I back these files up on my NAS so that the backup syncs as if the files were in the default loacations? 

It's not easy being green. Thank you in advance for your help.

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

You are confusing SMB (Service Message Block, supported by Samba on the NAS) with SSH (Secure SHell).

If you are accessing the NAS from Windows by anything other than ReadyCloud, you already have SMB enabled.  It is enabled by default.  Yes, FreeFileSync will use SMB.

Netgear may deny support if SSH is activated and they determine that you, or something you instlled via SSH, caused the problem.  But you don't need SSH for this.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Mettacittena wrote:

I have relocated "My Documents", "Videos", ect... to prioritize space on my C: for Windows 10 and program files.  I did this by redirecting the file path to another drive.  How can I back these files up on my NAS so that the backup syncs as if the files were in the default locations? 

It sounds like you are using ReadyCloud?

If so, you'll need to use something else.  FreeFileSync is one possibility, there are others.

Message 2 of 4
Mettacittena
Aspirant

Thank you StephenB.

Forgive me, I'm a total noob. In order to use FreeFileSync do I have to enable SMB file sharing? And if I enable SMB file sharing does that invalidate NETGEARs warranty?  I though I read something to that effect... Thank you for the suggestion either way. I'll continue to search options in this direction.

Model: RN214D42|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (4x 2TB Desktop)
Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

You are confusing SMB (Service Message Block, supported by Samba on the NAS) with SSH (Secure SHell).

If you are accessing the NAS from Windows by anything other than ReadyCloud, you already have SMB enabled.  It is enabled by default.  Yes, FreeFileSync will use SMB.

Netgear may deny support if SSH is activated and they determine that you, or something you instlled via SSH, caused the problem.  But you don't need SSH for this.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements