× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to Upgrade the CPU and RAM in a ReadyNAS 516

JBDragon1
Virtuoso

5 years, pretty good!  So if there's a motherboard issue, he should be able to send the thing in to be fixed under warranty so long as he's the original owner and Registered the unit.  Of course didn't modify his unit like I did.  But I wasn't the original owner.  Free software support is nice also.  Good things to know.

Call up Tech support and get your 516 fixed. Problem solved!!!!  Of course they won't just send a new motherboard,  That's just silly.

Message 51 of 57
mmcinnis2
Aspirant

I would simply put the EDA500 on top of the 516.

Message 52 of 57
mmcinnis2
Aspirant

OK, I ordered the CPU ($220 USD shipped) and the RAM - same brand ($200 CAD shipped, about $150 USD). Looking forward to the upgrade!  Any other words of wisdom?

Model: RN51661D|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 53 of 57
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

When I did the upgrade it wasn't that hard.  Easier then I thought it would be and didn't take that long.  Just have some room to work and carfully take things apart and remember how it goes so you can put in back togeather in reverse and not have any left over parts in the end other then the old CPU and ram. 

Make sure you clean the old past off the CPU heatsink so it's nice and clean and have new stuff. Don't over do it.  A drop in the middle. Put the heat sink on and tighten as it should be, then pull it off again and check to make sure the whole serfice is about covered.  Wipe off any exess and put it back on the same way again. It shouldn't hurt it doing that when new.  You sure don't want it getting hot and then dripping down onto other spots.

All my HDD's are labeled with slot number and date installed.  It's a easy way to keep track of things and when all pulled out, popped back into the same slots, though I don't think it matters, the NAS is smart enough to figure it out, but I stuck with going back into the same spots.    You can do all the work without pulling the HDD's if you want.  But it's much lighter to move and turn without all the HDD's installed.  Make sure when installing the motherboard back in, that it's connecting up with the HDD sub board also correctly.    

Compaired to my Windows PC Desktop build which was far more completed with all the hardware it has, the NAS was pretty simple.

Message 54 of 57
mmcinnis2
Aspirant

Thank you! I will report back when done.  Will not be for a couple of weeks, though.

Message 55 of 57
mmcinnis2
Aspirant

Thanks, JBDragon1. That was an easy upgrade based on your instructions!  I did not buy the 10GB lan adapter, because my network is 1G.

Device is much faster.

Cheers!

Message 56 of 57
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Glad I was able to help you.  That was my reason for putting it up there.  To help others.  When I was figuring it out, I was trying to piece togeather from a number of sources of what others did.  I wanted everything in one place.  The parts I used listed, and lots of pictures.  Show the Upgrade is pretty cheap, and not to hard to do.

The payoff if you have a 4 core processor now and not a 2 core processor.  It's basically a 716 minuse the 10 Gigabit ports which I don't think is a big deal to most people as their Home Networks are 1 Gigabit anyway.  Who wants to start buying 10 Gigabit switches and cards for computer and so on?  The end result is a NAS that's quite a big faster then before.  I have a number of Apps running on my NAS while it can transcode a few 1080P streams and so on without problems.  Where it couldn't transcode a 4K Movie to 1080P to be played without Choking before by pausing, processing and then playing over and over, to having no problem after the upgrade.

Glad I could help you, and show that it's not very hard and that pretty much anyone can do with some very basic skills.  Pay attention and take your time and all will be well.  That it is worth doing.  Now the NAS will hopefully serve you for many more years to come.

Message 57 of 57
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 56 replies
  • 25 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements