× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to increase write performance on ReadyNAS

yoh-dah
Guide

Re: How to increase write performance on ReadyNAS

JReble wrote:
When it's available....where will the new beta be found for download? I was having trouble locating download links to any beta releases.

http://www.infrant.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=17
Message 26 of 42
JReble
Aspirant

Updated to the beta and IO meter is now showing 10.8 MBps. That's better than I was getting. Anybody have any tips for increasing that further? We're using the NAS mostly for storage of large uncompressed NLE media files. While we never edit via the NAS storage, it is best to transfer these files at least as fast as they play. Typically 1GB = 1 minute of video play time. Read time seems more than adequate to play right from the NAS, but even at 10.8 MBps, write speed is a little slower than actual time, but it's certainly usable.

I could try to go with Jumbo frames and that may put us over the top. Any suggestions for a switch that would support it? I don't believe my Netgear gigabit ethernet switches support it.
Message 27 of 42
yoh-dah
Guide

JReble wrote:
Updated to the beta and IO meter is now showing 10.8 MBps. That's better than I was getting. Anybody have any tips for increasing that further? We're using the NAS mostly for storage of large uncompressed NLE media files. While we never edit via the NAS storage, it is best to transfer these files at least as fast as they play. Typically 1GB = 1 minute of video play time. Read time seems more than adequate to play right from the NAS, but even at 10.8 MBps, write speed is a little slower than actual time, but it's certainly usable.

I could try to go with Jumbo frames and that may put us over the top. Any suggestions for a switch that would support it? I don't believe my Netgear gigabit ethernet switches support it.

I would recommend one of the SMC switches in the device compatibility list. The 8505T has been a proven performer. The SMCGS5 and SMCGS8 are new and lower cost, but their performance with IOMeter in sequential access has been indistinguishable with the 8505T. We've seen they can give one or two MB/sec better than other switches in the same price category, and they also supports jumbo frames up to 9K.
Message 28 of 42
kmcgrail
Aspirant

No, you can turn on write caching without a USB UPS connected.

Thanks for noting this but can you please provide more information about how this can be done? We have our Infrant on a UPS but we do not have a USB connection. I've searched the admin interface without success.

Regards,
KAM
Message 29 of 42
yoh-dah
Guide

kmcgrail wrote:
No, you can turn on write caching without a USB UPS connected.

Thanks for noting this but can you please provide more information about how this can be done? We have our Infrant on a UPS but we do not have a USB connection. I've searched the admin interface without success.

Regards,
KAM

The USB cable will allow monitoring of the UPS status so the ReadyNAS can shutdown gracefully on batter low. You'll need to use a UPS with a USB connection, and you'll need to use a UPS from our compatibility list -- see http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=76
Message 30 of 42
SuperFlyBoy1
Aspirant

Re:

yoh-dah wrote:
I would recommend one of the SMC switches in the device compatibility list. The 8505T has been a proven performer. The SMCGS5 and SMCGS8 are new and lower cost, but their performance with IOMeter in sequential access has been indistinguishable with the 8505T. We've seen they can give one or two MB/sec better than other switches in the same price category, and they also supports jumbo frames up to 9K.

Any recommendations for switches in the 24/48 port category with jumbo frames?

We *were* using a Netgear ProSafe GS748TNA, until it's firmware (apparently) caused it to die :shock: :roll: , and we have to now RMA it back to USA... 😞

(Edited to Add: I do not see our unit listed in the Hardware Compatibility List, but possibly you want to update your list and also add the No. 3/4 exceptions for this one?? It *is* a Netgear product, btw! 😉 )
Message 31 of 42
kmcgrail
Aspirant

yoh-dah wrote:
kmcgrail wrote:

The USB cable will allow monitoring of the UPS status so the ReadyNAS can shutdown gracefully on batter low. You'll need to use a UPS with a USB connection, and you'll need to use a UPS from our compatibility list -- see http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=76

I was wondering if there had been any follow-up on this issue. I had spoken to Support and explained that we are at a collocation facility with UPS/Generator/ATS but no USB connection. I'd like to turn the write-cache on and you cannot plug in UPSes at most collocation facilities.

Unfortunately, that was a long time ago and I'd like to reiterate my request for a manual, root-ssh-required way to enable the write-cache -or- a way to do it in the advanced interface. I'm running 4.2.5 and 4.1.6 across the board.

regards,
KAM
Message 32 of 42
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Command
hdparm -W1 /dev/hdc
will enable write caching. I haven't tested what happens on reboot yet, but I would guess that it will revert to being disabled. To enable on boot create shell script
vi /etc/init.d/hdparm

#! /bin/sh
#
# hdparm - turn on write cache
hdparm -W1 /dev/hdc
make sure that it is executable
chmod /etc/init.d/hdparm +x
and then add a symlink to /etc/rcS.d
ln -s /etc/init.d/hdparm /etc/rcS.d/S07hdparm
Message 33 of 42
kmcgrail
Aspirant

giblet1973 wrote:
Command
hdparm -W1 /dev/hdc
will enable write caching.

Great point! Thanks. Will give this a shot!
Message 34 of 42
Lithium-Admin
Novice

Re: Write cache only works with a USB plugged in?

drewpc wrote:
If I use the ReadyNAS 1000 in a datacenter environment (where all AC power is on a UPS), do I have to have a UPS with a USB connection in order to get write-caching to work?

I also use the ReadyNAS 1000 but is does not seem to work well in my lap. Is there anything wrong with my network? 😞
Message 35 of 42
topo_nas
Aspirant

Also, if you turn off checkpointing when you don't need it, this will improve write performance as well. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=48999#p280494
Message 36 of 42
rapunzel
Aspirant

informative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Message 37 of 42
davidr1
Luminary

Hi

Ultra 2

My Left and Right USB ports are connected to USB drives.

Presumably I can't connect a usb hub to a port so presumably that means I can run it off the UPS but not monitor the UPS?

David
Message 38 of 42
StephenB
Guru

davidr wrote:
Hi

Ultra 2

My Left and Right USB ports are connected to USB drives.

Presumably I can't connect a usb hub to a port so presumably that means I can run it off the UPS but not monitor the UPS?

David
You should have started your own thread (generally we don't resurrect ancient history).

Anyway, the USB hub should work if it is independently powered (http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/hardware ... s_usb_port)
Message 39 of 42
davidr1
Luminary

Thanks for your reply, StephenB

You should have started your own thread (generally we don't resurrect ancient history).

My apologies - different forums different procedures. Noted for the future. I notice other threads are guilty too, then.

So I would end up with:
Left port: usb drive
Right Port: usb hub:
USB drive
UPS
And so that should be OK to monitor the UPS and use the USB drive at the same time? Just want to be clear ...

David
Message 40 of 42
StephenB
Guru

I think that should work, though the USB hub will need to be connected to the UPS, otherwise monitoring would be lost when power fails. I think I would try putting both drives on the USB hub, and keeping the UPS on its own port.
Message 41 of 42
mamiewong
Aspirant

wow it actually works... nice tips.thanks
Message 42 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements