× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to log an RMA?

randomnut1
Apprentice

How to log an RMA?

Hi,
I am a bit confused about how Netgear offer support for the readynas.

My original Duo died. Some kind of PSU failure. Just wouldn't turn on, therefore I was certain it had to go back for RMA replacement. Not a problem.

So I called Netgear support simply to request a replacement, given that the thing has 3 years warranty,and I was only a year and a bit in.

Once I got through to someone, I was told that my telephone support had ended but they would offer me this one ticket as a gesture of 'good faith'. I then had to go through the typical technical support script before they would agree that yes, the device was dead, and they would ship me a new one. It was then reiterated that if I wanted another telephone support incident, I would have to pay. All I wanted to do was request a replacement under warranty and not have someone 'investigate' the issue...

Now my question is, if I need to log another RMA ticket and get another replacement, how am I supposed to make use of this warranty if they want me to pay to call them again? This makes no sense. How can you offer a 3 year warranty only to then expect people to pay to be able to log the ticket to get a replacement shipped out? If you won't honour the warranty without having the incident fully logged and investigated as a chargeable service then that doesn't really mean it's a free warranty does it?

Maybe I am missing something quite basic here. Surely Netgear support cannot be that daft.
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is also free online support you can use at my.NetGear.com
Message 2 of 6
HERBIEO
Aspirant

As mdgm pointed out its free online support telephone support is only free for 90 days, if you have registered your product you will have a online account simply log in and request online support ticket.
Message 3 of 6
PapaBear1
Guide

If it is simply the PSU for the Duo, they should be able to ship you another since it is separate from the device itself. I do not know if they want you to send the failed PSU back.

Since you have an RMA number, you may want to edit your first post and append it to the end of the subject line.

Have you had any contact or instructions from them since you got the RMA number?
Message 4 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Depending on the issue they may wish to do troubleshooting before approving an RMA. It's nice to know that you can fall back to using online support if you need to.
Message 5 of 6
randomnut1
Apprentice

The RMA is actually complete now. They shipped me a new unit and I swapped it over. Suffice to say that getting the defective unit back to Netgear was a joke though. I had to call 6 times, and email twice and was each time told i'd be sent a shipping label as there wasn't one on the box I was sent. After not happening, I was finally told that in the UK I had to call some other company to arrange collection, which I did.

Pretty terrible customer service if i'm honest.

I'll bear that in mind for the future though that i'll need to do it online. It's a shame they won't accept the same info over the phone without charging you.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements