× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to upgrade?

plunderisley
Aspirant

How to upgrade?

I have a readynas 4
slot 1: 1.5TB seagate
slot 2: 1.5TB seagate
slot 3: 1.5TB seagate
slot 4: 2TB seagate

When I added the last drive (2TB) one it only formatted it as a 1.5TB. I know that it is because it goes with the other drives, but now, I'm running out of space.
So, I want to upgrade. If I replace a 1.5GB to a 2GB one, with I get an additional 500GB? or do I need to replace all the other 3?
How do I replace the drives without loosing any data? All the disks are on the hardware compatible list and I would buy the same 2TB seagate as in slot 4. Also, would I start with replacing slot 1? Does the order matter?
I really cant loose any data as 4.5TB isn't that easy to backup 🙂
Message 1 of 7
fbmachines
Guide

Re: How to upgrade?

plunderisley wrote:
I have a readynas 4

What exact model do you have (NV+, NVX, Ultra 4 or Pro 4)? What RAID format are you utilizing? I'm assuming you are using X-RAID.

If you have the NV+ (X-RAID) you will have to upgrade the other 3 drives to 2TB also to get vertical expansion. One at a time of course, waiting for initializing and restriping each time.

If you have an NVX, Ultra 4, Ultra 4+ or Pro4 (X-RAID2), you just need to upgrade one more drive to at least 2TB to get some more drive space. As stated above, waiting for initialization, restriping and expansion.

It doesn't really matter what order you upgrade the disks just keep track of the ones you have already completed.

There are no guaranties in life so dealing with HDDs and irreplaceable data it is always imperative you backup at least the important stuff.
Message 2 of 7
plunderisley
Aspirant

ultra 4

Configuration: RAID Level X-RAID2, 4 disks
Message 3 of 7
fbmachines
Guide

Just one more disk to at least 2TB. You'll get ~500GB additional space once fully expanded.
Message 4 of 7
plunderisley
Aspirant

what are the exact steps? Do I power the unit down, take out the drive, replace it, then pop the new drive in, boot up and it will automatically fix it (with the data and do its magic)?
Message 5 of 7
fbmachines
Guide

I would keep the power on, remove one drive you want to replace.

Wait for the NAS to acknowledge the missing drive then put the new drive in the tray you just removed.

Finally, insert the new drive into NAS and grab a beer while the ReadyNAS takes over. It could take several hours to full initialize, restripe and expand.

Another note, it is always good to test the disk with the manufacturer’s tools to make sure you didn’t get a bum drive from the get-go. This extra step could help with major headaches down the road.
Message 6 of 7
PapaBear1
Guide

Note - the final expansion to recognize the additional drive space will take a reboot. When I replaced 2 of my 1TB drives with 3TB drives on one of my two NVX units it actually took two reboots. The other one only took one reboot. Thought I would mention that to you so that if the expansion does not take place, just reboot again. The expansion will take as long as the resync, so have plenty of beer on hand.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements