× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to use a disk from one RD526 in another RD526?

Jim_Norman
Aspirant

How to use a disk from one RD526 in another RD526?

I have two RD526-6 NASs with 6 10TB disks in each one.  I want to replace 4 of the disks in each with 16TB disks.  Some of the disks in NAS 1 are not that old and I would like to use one of them as a replacement for an older disk in NAS 2.  If I simply plug it in, I am concerned that NAS 2 will not know what to do with it since it already contains configuration info.  How do I prepare this disk for movement to NAS 2?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: How to use a disk from one RD526 in another RD526?

@Jim_Norman wrote:

If I simply plug it in, I am concerned that NAS 2 will not know what to do with it since it already contains configuration info.  

That could happen, especially since both NAS are using the same volume name.

If you can connect the disk to a Windows PC (either using SATA or a USB adapter/dock), then you can unformat using the windows disk manager (removing all "volumes" - partitions really - that are on the disk).  Then the disk will appear blank to the NAS, so you can simply hot-swap it.

A similar approach is to reformat it in a PC (either Mac or Windows).  If you do that, then you will need to format it again on the NAS after you hot swap - OS-6 won't automatically add a disk that is already formatted to the array.

If this isn't possible, then you could do a factory reset on one of the NAS with only the disk that you want to migrate inserted. Power down, remove the disks (labeling them so you can restore them to the same slots), and power up with only the one disk installed. Go through the initial setup, and then destroy the data volume.  After that, power down, restore the original disks, and power up.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
Jim_Norman
Aspirant

I forgot to mention that I am using X-RAID with the disks being in a RAID5 configuration.

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Jim_Norman wrote:

I have two RD526-6 NASs 

Do you really mean RN526???? (ReadyNAS 6-bay desktop)

Or perhaps you mean ReadyDATA (RD5200 series rackmount)??

Message 3 of 5
Jim_Norman
Aspirant

Re: How to use a disk from one RN526 in another RN526? (note that original posting had wrong model)

Yes, RN 526.  I mis-stated the model number.  It is the 6-bay desktop model.   Readycloud refers to it as a ReadyNAS 526X.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Jim_Norman wrote:

If I simply plug it in, I am concerned that NAS 2 will not know what to do with it since it already contains configuration info.  

That could happen, especially since both NAS are using the same volume name.

If you can connect the disk to a Windows PC (either using SATA or a USB adapter/dock), then you can unformat using the windows disk manager (removing all "volumes" - partitions really - that are on the disk).  Then the disk will appear blank to the NAS, so you can simply hot-swap it.

A similar approach is to reformat it in a PC (either Mac or Windows).  If you do that, then you will need to format it again on the NAS after you hot swap - OS-6 won't automatically add a disk that is already formatted to the array.

If this isn't possible, then you could do a factory reset on one of the NAS with only the disk that you want to migrate inserted. Power down, remove the disks (labeling them so you can restore them to the same slots), and power up with only the one disk installed. Go through the initial setup, and then destroy the data volume.  After that, power down, restore the original disks, and power up.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements