× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I'd like to disable UPnP, would I miss it?

netghiro
Aspirant

I'd like to disable UPnP, would I miss it?

I'd like to disable unnecessary services on my redynas box (for added security).

What is UPnP good for, could I please have some practical examples?

I see also a separate ReadyDLNA service.. aren't they similar?

Many thanks in advance 🙂

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

The UPnP setting in the NAS is only enables the UPnP discovery service (not streaming)

Per the user manual:

• UPnP (Universal Plug-n-Play). Allows UPnP-enabled clients to discover your ReadyNAS system on your LAN.You can enable or disable UPnP on your ReadyNAS.

It's safe enough to disable, and if you find that some device (or app) can't find the ReadyNAS you can always reenable it.

UPnP overall includes a broad set of services (not just discovery, but including specifications for a/v media streaming).  The DLNA streaming protocol was derived from the UPnP protocol - with some features removed, and others added.  So there is some interoperability possible between DLNA servers and uPnP a/v clients.  But they aren't quite the same, and they are managed by different consortia.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The UPnP setting in the NAS is only enables the UPnP discovery service (not streaming)

Per the user manual:

• UPnP (Universal Plug-n-Play). Allows UPnP-enabled clients to discover your ReadyNAS system on your LAN.You can enable or disable UPnP on your ReadyNAS.

It's safe enough to disable, and if you find that some device (or app) can't find the ReadyNAS you can always reenable it.

UPnP overall includes a broad set of services (not just discovery, but including specifications for a/v media streaming).  The DLNA streaming protocol was derived from the UPnP protocol - with some features removed, and others added.  So there is some interoperability possible between DLNA servers and uPnP a/v clients.  But they aren't quite the same, and they are managed by different consortia.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements