× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I have 20 computers across 2 office locations - how to backup in this scenario

kkoshy
Follower

I have 20 computers across 2 office locations - how to backup in this scenario

Office location 1:

• 20 computers.

Office location 2:

• 5 computers
  • NAS drive is located in this office.

Problem to be solved:

• I want to backup all my computers to this NAS Drive.

Connection is not a problem

• Connecting the two offices is no problem: I set up two meraki devices with a site-to-site connection between each.

What I don't want to do:

• I don't want to set up READY NAS software etc individually on every single one of these 20+ computers. Why? I have to do it myself, manually. If I ask ask staffers to do it they'll "yes sir"  but let's be honest, they're never going to install it. 'yes sir' actually means 'shut up and beat it' .
  • Everything is all fun and games till we lose our data and how am i meant to pay the bills if that happens?
  • Is there a way to back up entire offices at scale without doing it individually on every single computer?

any pointers - any pointers would be very much appreciated.

thank you!

Message 1 of 4
NiveditaP3
NETGEAR Expert

Re: I have 20 computers across 2 office locations - how to backup in this scenario

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@kkoshy wrote:

any pointers - any pointers would be very much appreciated.

@NiveditaP3 - I can't see most of the screen shots on the second KB article.  The site they are stored on looks like it has been taken down.  The second image in the article (the first I can't see) has a URL of 

http://support1.gearguy.com/useruploads/images/0%286%29.png

@kkoshy: Note both of articles that @NiveditaP3 provided require set up on the PCs, which I think you want to avoid or minimize.  They also don't discuss Win 11, you should be able to set this up on Win 11 also.  The article doesn't say this, but you need to set up distinct destinations for each user. 

Solving this problem at scale w/o depending on end-users usually involves having a way to remotely push and provision software to the user PCs.  If you don't have that, then either you or the users will have to do some work on each PC.  Note that while users might not all cooperate, you can look at the backup destinations on the NAS, and see which ones are not compliant.

Another class of solutions is to deploy cloud backup (not using the NAS).  OneDrive is the natural place to look first if you are using Windows PCs.  

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

To do what I consider a "proper" backup of a Windows computer has to start with something installed on the machine itself, as no external process is going to be able to back up system files or any that are open.  Step one has to be the creation of a shadow copy, then that is what is backed up.

If you are the boss and your employees are that open about ignoring what you tell them to do, then that's a problem we can't help you solve.  But it's pretty easy with most backup software to go to the backup location and verify that backups are being created.  You just have to decide what you are going to do if they aren't.

I even check that backups are being created for my own PC's, to verify nothing has gone wrong.  I actually did find that to be the case once and fixed it.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements