× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

In the event of a power outage...

Jkennedy2135
Initiate

In the event of a power outage...

I am setup to receive email alerts regarding my rn424, and just got myself a Tripplite UPS.

In the event of an outage, how would I receive an email, unless I also hook up the rest of my networking equipment to the UPS as well?

There's only 2 outlets that are able to function off the batteries, so I'll have to split the remaining one. 

Shouldn't be too hard, considering, off the top of my head, the 424 pulls about 90 watts.

The networking stuff, I haven't checked yet, but It'll last 15 minutes at a full load of 800 watts.

Would like to just use the second available outlet for my pc, but will bite the bullet if I won't get the email without my networking stuff on the UPS.

Thanks Everyone!

Joe

Model: RN424| ReadyNAS 424 4-Bay with up to 40 TB total storage
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: In the event of a power outage...

@Jkennedy2135 wrote:

In the event of an outage, how would I receive an email, unless I also hook up the rest of my networking equipment to the UPS as well?

In order for the NAS to deliver the email when the power outage starts you'd need to power all the network equipment on the path between the NAS and your ISP WAN connection.  If you don't do that, the email(s) will be queued in the NAS and delivered when the network connection becomes available again.

Similarly, if you want to receive the email(s) immediately over your home network you'll need to power the path as well to the receiving device.  Though of course you would receive them on mobile devices.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements