× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Install gnu screen

sleepy06405
Aspirant

Install gnu screen

WARNING: Using the information in this post may lead to denial of support and possibly void your warranty. In addition you may lose a good nights sleep if something goes wrong. Basically don't try this unless you understand what you're doing.

GNU screen is a utility which allows you to detach from a terminal session. This is useful for long running scripts. For example, you can ssh in, start screen, start a big copy (cp) job or whatever you like and then press Ctrl-a-d to detach, exit ssh, go on vacation for a week, connect with ssh and reconnect to your original terminal session. If none of that makes any sense to you, you don't need this.

Installing gnu screen:

1. Open ssh session.

2. Type "apt-get update" at the # prompt. You can safely ignore the error about the readynas signature and continue on.

3. Type "apt-get install screen" at the # prompt.

At this point, screen works but the Backspace key may not, to resolve that, create a file called .screenrc in /root which contains:

bindkey -d ^? stuff ^H
bindkey -d ^@ stuff ^H

Now you should be able to enjoy screen by typing screen.
Message 1 of 5
pugilares
Aspirant

After

apt-get update

I get

command not found
Message 2 of 5
chirpa
Luminary

pugilares wrote:
command not found
You have a Duo v1, apt is not included by default, install the APT add-on linked in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14903
Message 3 of 5
pugilares
Aspirant

That's right. Now I have it - THX!
Message 4 of 5
kraeks
Aspirant

I'd recommend switching screen to byobu however, since it comes with a bunch of nifty extras, like a customizable status bar showing sysinfo.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements