× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is hard-disk really dead?

RhysAndrews
Aspirant

Is hard-disk really dead?

Hi guys,
I have a Readynas Pro 6 with 6x Hitachi 7K3000 2TB Drives. It's only been running for about 2 weeks & I've been mostly happy with it. It's running with X-RAID dual redundancy.

From the very beginning, one of the drives (disk 2) was reporting increasing ATA error counts with each reboot. It got to ~40, and I shipped it back to my supplier for a replacement.

When I got my replacement, I put it back in the drive 2 bay. It resynced and all seemed happy. However, as soon as it had resynced, Disk ONE began to report ATA errors. It increased, and a couple of days later, the readyNAS reported it had failed.

Out of curiosity I took the disk out, plugged it into a SATA docking station, and completely removed all the partitions (Windows detected the drive and had no problem playing with the partitions). I plugged it back into the ReadyNAS. It detected it as a new drive and said that syncing will start. However nothing has happened, as under Health it is still reported as dead.

So, I have two questions..
1. Is the drive really dead? I could access it no problem in Windows. What does ReadyNAS consider to be a dead/failed drive?
2. Is there a logic behind a new drive getting ATA errors when there are 6 drives in the bay or is it just a coincidence?

Thankyou,
Rhys
Message 1 of 19
RhysAndrews
Aspirant

Re: Is hard-disk really dead?

Also, excuse my paranoia, but after removing the drive from disk 1, under the Health menu it still shows as "Dead" with a flashing yellow light, not "Disconnected". Not sure if this is normal =3
Message 2 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

A resync puts heavy stress on all the drives.

1. The drive probably is dead. Best to hook it up to a SATA port on your PC and check it properly using vendor tools

2. Disks can and do fail at any time.

Btw what version of RAIDiator are you running?

When a disk is removed, it showing as dead is normal.
Message 3 of 19
RhysAndrews
Aspirant

Thanks mate.
Using 4.2.18.

I've not really got anywhere to hook up the drive to a SATA port, believe it or not. May just be easier to ship it back to the supplier as they are offering.

-Rhys
Message 4 of 19
opt2bout
Aspirant

Strange. I ordered two new 2GB Seagate drives and installed into a 6-bay pro (4.2.19-T4).

These were replacements for 1GBs in the same bays.

Replaced one drive at a time, waited for resync, and then for the Volume to expand. Replaced the 2nd drive, ditto.

All seemed well. 3 days later the Bay 1 reports--without ANY ATA errors, that the drive is DEAD. I connected the drive to an external box on my Mac, ran the SMART tests, and it says it has zero errors. I formatted the drive and its running now in the external box for testing.

In my haste, I had already put in a new (same specs) drive in Bay 1. The NAS shows Resync messages, etc. but Frontview still shows drive as DEAD. Even got emails telling me a new drive was installed, and an Email that the drive sync was complete. Nothing happened after the drive resync, so I rebotted. Now it is syncing Volume C: ... Frontview still says drive is DEAD.

coincidence that Bay 1 only has the problems. New drives, same behavior on Frontview as you???
Message 5 of 19
opt2bout
Aspirant

new drive, replaced in bay 1 again...2 days later, drive is NOW DEAD. Something isn't right here. Anyone have any ideas??
Message 6 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Could you please run the "Test Disks" boot option using the boot menu (http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu)
Message 7 of 19
opt2bout
Aspirant

It ran, rebooted, and I received a message that the RAID sync finished on volume C. The drive is dead, so I assume the-resync was triggered by the reboot and without the first drive.
Message 8 of 19
opt2bout
Aspirant

Update. I opened a ticket with support. It appears the problem is with the 4.2.19-T4 firmware. I downgraded to 4.2.17 and rebooted the NAS, and the drive came "alive" and resync'd. Its been running for 2 days now and so far still running. Will wait that magic 3rd day when the other drives failed and see if its hardware of software!
Message 9 of 19
RhysAndrews
Aspirant

Hi mate,
Yep, I'm getting similar problems.
Disk 2 was the first to go when I got the NAS but since then it's been disk 1 - so all the new disks just failing over and over. Usually I get some ATA errors first. Just last week I put in a new drive.. all was well after resync. Then a scrubbing and it was still ok. But next day, 40 ATA errors.
Message 10 of 19
opt2bout
Aspirant

Its been two weeks now on 4.2.17 and the "failed" drive is working just fine. The other drives that I was getting ready to return are now running in a Mac server==no errors whatsoever, nada on the disk's SMART stats. Something in the 4.2.19 beta FW. Can't get a copy of 4.2.18 so I can resume my Lion time machine backups. Desperately hoping for a new release soon.
Message 11 of 19
RhysAndrews
Aspirant

opt2bout,
I'm using 4.2.18 and am having problems, not 4.2.19.
Message 12 of 19
brad2thebone
Aspirant

I have a similar problem with a READYNAS 600 and Seagate ST31000333AS (1TB). I replaced an actually dead drive (not responsive to a windows-based SATA interface), and received email notification of the successful resync. RAIDar shows all green lights for the disks. However, RAIDiator shows flashing yellow and the Health is listed as dead. I tried upgrading from 4.2.17 to 4.2.19-T9 which did not fix this. I tried swapping the disk with the adjacent bay, and the Dead disk status in RAIDiator follows this disk.

Please let me know if you guys are find out anything new.
Message 13 of 19
Bcsp
Aspirant

Think I may have had this issue too.

First disk to become 'Dead' had one smart error: Offline Uncorrectable 1. So I let it slide.
Second disk to fail seems to have no smart errors but I'm guessing a disk can have no errors and still fail.

When the first disk failed I replaced it with a new one. Afterwards I decided to add back in the failing disk to see what would happen. It resynced and expanded and has been working away solid for nearly 2 months...
Last week then the 2nd disk failed. I only got around to it today but I just rebooted the nas and it started a resync and hasn't reported a problem so far.
First disk to fail was in slot 3 which I moved to 6. 2nd disk is in slot 4 and hasn't been moved, so it doesn't seem to be a slot specific problem at least.

I think I ran a firmware update shortly before disks started failing. I could be wrong there though because I see no mention of a firmware update in the logs. Unless that sort of thing isn't logged?

Readynas Pro Pioneer Edition, Running X-Raid 2. Firmware: RAIDiator 4.2.15.
6xWestern Digital Caviar Green 2TB.
Disk 1 WDC WD20EADS-00R6B0 1863 GB , 36 C / 96 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 2 WDC WD20EADS-00R6B0 1863 GB , 37 C / 98 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 3 WDC WD20EARS-22MVWB0 1863 GB , 33 C / 91 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 4 WDC WD20EADS-00S2B0 1863 GB , 39 C / 102 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 5 WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 1863 GB , 35 C / 95 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 6 WDC WD20EADS-00R6B0 1863 GB , 35 C / 95 F , Write-cache ON OK
Message 14 of 19
opt2bout
Aspirant

RhysAndrews wrote:
opt2bout,
I'm using 4.2.18 and am having problems, not 4.2.19.

Yeah, I finally got a copy of 4.2.18 and updated the firmware. Less than 24 hours later--BAM! Volume is re-syncing on its own. In the next 24 hours I predict that the drive in Bay 1 will go "DEAD" without any SMART errors (it has been running 542 hours since back-revving to 4.2.17 and absolutely zero problems. Less than one day after updating to 4.2.18 and I am having erratic behavior.
I thought maybe the "green" drives may be at issue with the firmware. But then I recall, the first drive to "fail" (which is now in use on another server) wasn't a green drive.
But something in the newer firmware is triggering this. I will update this in a few days to see what happens. I sure liked having my Lion backups running though.
Message 15 of 19
PapaBear1
Guide

Be advised that 4.2.18 has been pulled from the website. I recommend you either revert to 4.2.17 or try 4.2.19 T4.
Message 16 of 19
opt2bout
Aspirant

Yeah, 4.2.17 didn't have Lion Time Machine support. The security advisory on 4.2.18 doesn't affect us, the unit is just running for me...unless there was something else wrong with 4.2.18.??

4.2.19-T4 caused the Bay 1 drives to go DEAD after a few hours (< 24)...three drives later and we knew something was wrong--but not with the drives. Contacted support, but they couldn't help us with beta f/w, so we downgraded to 4.2.17 and the drives worked fine (now for 3 weeks @ 24/7). We moved to 4.2.18 to get Time Machine support. The drive has resync'd and we are waiting to monitor the status & report back to support.

Support told us to wait on 4.2.19 release before upgrading. They weren't aware of T9, but warned me they won't support beta f/w.

By the way...where is 4.2.19-T9 anyway? The thread in the forum still shows T4 and fudging the URL to be http://www.readynas.com/download/beta/r ... -4.2.19-T9 doesn't work.

EDIT: never mind, I noticed your thread changed to reflect the current T4. T4 is evil!! 😞
Message 17 of 19
PapaBear1
Guide

I was wrong on T9, I'll blame the keyboard and have edited my previous post. If you are not using AFP, the security hole in 4.2.18 may not affect you.

If you encounter problems with 4.2.19 T4 that is apparently firmware, please post your observations in the Beta threads. That is where the Jedi are looking for feedback.
Message 18 of 19
opt2bout
Aspirant

PapaBear wrote:
I was wrong on T9, I'll blame the keyboard and have edited my previous post. If you are not using AFP, the security hole in 4.2.18 may not affect you.

If you encounter problems with 4.2.19 T4 that is apparently firmware, please post your observations in the Beta threads. That is where the Jedi are looking for feedback.

I did...

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=56010
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=55594
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements