× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is the EDA500 discontinued?

BotanyBay
Tutor

Is the EDA500 discontinued?

Looking online to purchase an EDA500 expansion chassis and it appears that it is a "discontinued item".  Is this model being replaced by something different?

Model: EDA500|ReadyNAS Expansion Chassis 5-Bay
Message 1 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Is the EDA500 discontinued?

Getting an additional ReadyNAS and hooking that up to your network provides much better performance and better value imo than getting an EDA500.

Message 2 of 9
BotanyBay
Tutor

I understand that, I am looking to use the unit for a specific purpose of moving data between two locations and thought that the unit might be ideal.

I am just looking for confirmation if it is no longer being manufactured?

Model: RN626X | ReadyNAS 626X 6-Bay with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 3 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

@BotanyBay wrote:

I understand that, I am looking to use the unit for a specific purpose of moving data between two locations and thought that the unit might be ideal.

It's not designed with that in mind.  You would be better off with a USB3 based device.  If you need more space than a single drive can handle, I have successfully used another manfacturers USB RAID device with a ReadyNAS.

Amazon had a fire sale on the EDA500 a few months ago, which did make me suspect that it was being discontinued.

If you really want one, there are a couple for sale on eBay.

Message 4 of 9
BotanyBay
Tutor

@Sandshark wrote:

@BotanyBay wrote:

It's not designed with that in mind.  You would be better off with a USB3 based device.  If you need more space than a single drive can handle, I have successfully used another manfacturers USB RAID device with a ReadyNAS.

Amazon had a fire sale on the EDA500 a few months ago, which did make me suspect that it was being discontinued.

If you really want one, there are a couple for sale on eBay.

Yes and no, the issue with a USB3 based device is that I can't use BTRFS and thus cannot use ReadyDR to that volume. The EDA500 volume does support having a volume which is BTRFS and thus could be the target for a ReadyDR share.

The ideal solution would be the ability to target a local USB3 drive as BTRFS and be able to send ReadyDR shares to that volume. At the moment that is not an option.

I am working through disaster recovery options and there are a couple of holes which I am trying to plug ***Grin***

Model: RN626X | ReadyNAS 626X 6-Bay with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

BTRFS is a supported format for USB drives.  But I'm not sure if ReadyDR supports external drives.

Message 6 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

BTRFS is a supported format for USB drives.  But I'm not sure if ReadyDR supports external drives.

Maybe it would using the localhost address (127.0.0.1) just like you can trick rsync to allow file deletion on a local share?  I've never worked with ReadyDR, but it sounds worth a try.

Message 7 of 9
BotanyBay
Tutor

@StephenB wrote:

Interesting, I did not see it last time I tried but that was some time back. I will look at it again and then see if I can get ReadyDR to actually write to an external disk.

If that works it would make my disaster recovery much easier as it would be recovering from external media rather than having to move a machine closer to support being on the same network.

I am still in test mode for my new system so I can do some additional testing before going live with the new 626 box (which I really like).

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|
Message 8 of 9
BotanyBay
Tutor

@Sandshark wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

Maybe it would using the localhost address (127.0.0.1) just like you can trick rsync to allow file deletion on a local share?  I've never worked with ReadyDR, but it sounds worth a try.

Interesting thought. I will give it a try!

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements