× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is triple parity possible with pro 6 with raid 6

kmassner1
Tutor

Is triple parity possible with pro 6 with raid 6

I currently have a ReadyNas Pro 6 (outgrew an ultra 4), 8 GB RAM, with a single 5 x 3TB raid volume in flexraid mode.  Is there a way to add the 6th drive as parity to achieve triple parity, and thus be able to live through a 3 drive failure? I have backups upon backups going.  Raid is not a backup.

Thanks, all!

Model: ReadyNASRNDP6000v2|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @kmassner1, to my understanding it is not, as RAID6 gives double redundancy and would protect you against 2 disks getting faulty at the same time.

Using the NETGEAR RAID calculator you could see, that RAID10 could give triple redundancy in flexraid. You might want to check it out here:

https://rdconfigurator.netgear.com/raid/index.html

Kind regards

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

RAID10 could give triple redundancy in flexraid.

RAID10 would use three disks for protection, but it doesn't provide triple redundancy.  There are still failure modes where two failed disks will destroy the array.  So it only guarantees single redundancy, though there are multiple disk failure combinations that it can survive.

With RAID10, the disks are mirrored in pairs, so any failure mode where a disk + the corresponding mirror fails will destroy the array.

Message 3 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for clarification, @StephenB, please let also know, whether you are aware about any RAID type available with OS6 supporting triple parity/redundancy.

Kind regards

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

Thanks for clarification, @StephenB, please let also know, whether you are aware about any RAID type available with OS6 supporting triple parity/redundancy.

Kind regards

Quadruple RAID-1 mirroring would do it, at a very high overhead.  But I don't know of any way to configure that in a ReadyNAS.

There are some triple parity (non standard) RAID modes out there, but the ReadyNAS doesn't support them.  They'd make more sense in the large rack-mount systems, as the overhead is very high if you don't have a lot of disks (and the odds of it being useful in a smaller array are pretty low).

Message 5 of 6
kmassner1
Tutor

Got it.  So in other words, "stop being so paranoid, you have multiple backups".

Thanks all!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements