× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issue with accessing Media section of NAS

Eleros
Aspirant

Issue with accessing Media section of NAS

I am having an issue with moving files to "NAS: ReadyNAS NV+ v2" network location that houses access accross the network, I am currently able to setup and access shares without issue as well as the C:\ of the NAS itself but when trying to access media from a Samsung Smart TV it access' a portion of the NAS that I can't seem to store files on from my PC.

If you see in the attached photo there are mapped drives which work without issue, but the above mentioned network location will not allow file transfers, it has a red circle with a line through it whenever I try and drag and drop files into this protion of the NAS. When Access'ing the C:\ of the NAS the weird thing is that I can't even find this segment of the NAS yet I can access it from explorer, just not store any files in it.

The file path for the network location is "This PC\NAS: ReadyNAS NV+ v2\Browse Folders\Videos\Movies" when it comes to media storage for the TV, but the actual media storage on the NAS itself which is accessable is "\\nas\media\Videos\Movies"

Any help with this issue would be appreciated as I am at a loss for why "\\nas\media" used to display on the smart TV but now it just shows empty folders instead.

Model: RND4410v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 4TB (4 X 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Issue with accessing Media section of NAS

@Eleros wrote:

when trying to access media from a Samsung Smart TV it access' a portion of the NAS that I can't seem to store files on from my PC.

I think you might be misunderstanding what is happening.

The TV is accessing the media using ReadyDLNA.  You aren't seeing the file locations on the NAS on the TV - instead you are seeing the way ReadyDLNA is organizing the media.

So first check that the DLNA service is enabled on your actual media shares.  There is some information on this on page 34 of the user manual: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS%20ARM-PLATFORM%20(DUO%20V2,%20NV+%20V2)/RAIDiato...

Normally there is a setting to rescan the media folder(s) - I don't have a v2 NAS, so I don't know where that setting might be.  If you can't find it, you can try rebooting the NAS, and then toggling ReadyDLNA for each share (turning it off and then on again).

Message 2 of 6
Eleros
Aspirant

I thought that ReadyDLNA would have been the issue, either that or file permissions not being set up correctly (as assigning an ownership group or user would stop the TV from being able to access the file structure) but none of these were the case, 

I think due to the age of the device it is regressing as when I re-booted the device it has come back online in a very strange state.

The device can not be accessed on a computer of via the web-browser administrative login BUT the media that was loaded onto it before the restart is now streaming to the TV as intended, my only conclusion is either A. The software is at fault (I will flash the firmware later today as well as factory reset the device and re-build it) or B. The hardware is starting to fail as the first attempt after restart stated a failed drive in bay 3, but after a secondary restart there is no fail in bay 3 and I can't access the logs due to the administrative panel (web based 10.24.13.252) is showing the device as "Device is offline, please wait" mode.

Either way I will investigate further (as it is 5:30am right now here in Aus) and update the case later today with further information on what is found.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Eleros wrote:

The hardware is starting to fail as the first attempt after restart stated a failed drive in bay 3

It'd be good to sort out whether the failing hardware are disks or the chassis itself.  Try downloading the log zip file, and then look for disk errors.  

Message 4 of 6
Eleros
Aspirant

Hey Stephen, 

Thanks for taking the time to try and help.

I have factory reset the system and for the 2nd time since trying it warned me about drive in bay 3, removed the drive and restarted the reset with success. My guess is that the drive failed but for some reason when it failed before the reset there were no log warnings that the drive was failing, at least not since last year. Last year in September it gave me warnings of "bad sector count" for bay 3 but then stopped and hadn't reported any issues until I tried to factory reset it.

Since resetting it the system is back up and running without issue, the data was already backed up on it so there was no loss (thankfully!)

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Eleros wrote:

I have factory reset the system and for the 2nd time since trying it warned me about drive in bay 3, removed the drive and restarted the reset with success. My guess is that the drive failed but for some reason when it failed before the reset there were no log warnings that the drive was failing, at least not since last year. Last year in September it gave me warnings of "bad sector count" for bay 3 but then stopped and hadn't reported any issues until I tried to factory reset it.

Thx for following up.  It does sound like a failed disk (and they sometimes will fail w/o warnings).  You can hot-insert a replacement disk at your convenience if you need the capacity.  I recommend using a NAS-purposed disk (WD Red or Seagate Ironwolf).

@Eleros wrote:

Since resetting it the system is back up and running without issue, the data was already backed up on it so there was no loss (thankfully!)

Great!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements