× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issues on my ReadyNAS 516, System Volume root useage 93%

JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Issues on my ReadyNAS 516, System Volume root useage 93%

So I've been getting this Error Message System Volume root usage 93%.

So I'm pretty sure it's PLEX.  I need to figure out how to move it's Database over to the Media side.  I think it's the Video Preview thumbnails really eating space up.  So I turned that off in PLEX and then hit Delete Preview thumbnails.  So that should have cleared up a lot of space.  It looked like it did.  But looking at other posts, I did this whole thing.

root@READYNAS:~# mount --bind / /mnt
root@READYNAS:~# cd /mnt
root@READYNAS:/mnt# du -csh /mnt/*
4.0K /mnt/1
0 /mnt/apps
6.5M /mnt/bin
0 /mnt/boot
4.0K /mnt/crash_report.txt
0 /mnt/data
24K /mnt/dev
13M /mnt/etc
31M /mnt/frontview
0 /mnt/home
33M /mnt/lib
4.0K /mnt/lib64
0 /mnt/media
0 /mnt/Media
0 /mnt/mnt
1.4G /mnt/opt
8.9M /mnt/path
0 /mnt/proc
185M /mnt/root
0 /mnt/run
11M /mnt/sbin
0 /mnt/srv
0 /mnt/sys
0 /mnt/tmp
940M /mnt/usr
817M /mnt/var
3.4G total

So I know there is a 4 Gig limit.  I see 3.4 gigs here.  I know there is a ton of space plex is no longer using but it doesn't seem to have fixed anything.  The AntiVirus fails to update, and if I try installing say EMBY, that fails, unless I do the older version from the avalivle apps area.  That installs!!!  

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Issues on my ReadyNAS 516, System Volume root useage 93%

@JBDragon1 wrote:

So I've been getting this Error Message System Volume root usage 93%.

So I'm pretty sure it's PLEX.  I need to figure out how to move it's Database over to the Media side.  I think it's the Video Preview thumbnails really eating space up. 

Apps are supposed to put their data in /data/.apps, which is mounted as /apps on the root.  Some don't do that as they should - but plex does.  I have it installed on my RN202, and am only using 16% of the OS partition on that machine.

Thumbnails are stored in /apps also - in the case of the RN202, they are in /apps/plexmediaserver-annapurna/MediaLibrary/Plex Media Server/Media/localhost

So I think your guess on the cause is incorrect.

I have seen plex sometimes fill up the OS partition with temporary transcoded files, but that doesn't appear to be a big factor here.

As far as where the space is going, the big offender is 

1.4G /mnt/opt

This folder has about 4.6M on my RN526.

This folder (although still fairly small), has more in it than normal:

185M /mnt/root

Mine shows 36k.  Normally this folder just contains some hidden files/folders (.bash_history, .bashrc, .profile, and .ssh)

These two are also larger than what I have:

940M /mnt/usr
817M /mnt/var

My usr folder is only 243M, and /var is 612M.

Message 2 of 7
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

I'm using the program WinSCP to look at the NAS.  It's showing my Apps in /apps/

The MediaLibrary is in /apps/plexmediaserver/

At the time when I had the Video Preview Files turned on in PLEX, it was eating up 130+ Gig's all by it's self.  I keep getting the e-mail "System volume root's usage is 93%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support."

I have over 1200 Movies and 5000 TV episodes.  So it's a big database and having The Preview thumbnails ,which is nice, taking a huge chunk of space.  Turning it off reduced the space used, but for some reason I'm still at 93%.  I have 20TB of Data with 10TB of free space.

I just looked and the Plex MediaLibray is down to 46.8GB.  That's like 1/3 of the size it was.

I don't know what I'm missing here.  

It'll take days to backup.  Wipe the NAS, Days to copy everything back.  Days more to get the software I use installed and working again like it should since some I have to manually SSH install and setup.   Remember how I had to do everyone once again, Ouch.

If it's not PLEX, then what in the world could it be eating up all the space?  

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@JBDragon1 wrote:

I'm using the program WinSCP to look at the NAS.   

Not the best way to investigate ... use the Linux shell.

@JBDragon1 wrote:

It's showing my Apps in /apps/

As @StephenB already mentioned - /apps/ does not reside on that root partition the warning email is about...

root@RN628X:/mnt# df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0 4190208 740096 3053888 20% /           <<<<< this is what your warning e-mail is causing!!!!

/dev/md127 323185536 208920 319821608 1% /apps     <<< this is where your Plex media library et all does reside. That's all fine.

(Don't worry about my device low capacity on my /dev/md127 - this is an all SSD system serving a specific applicaion.)

@JBDragon1 wrote:

At the time when I had the Video Preview Files turned on in PLEX, it was eating up 130+ Gig's all by it's self.  I keep getting the e-mail "System volume root's usage is 93%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support."

Stephen already pointed to the sections residing on the root partition - these are the folders to investigate!

If your Plex library is 50 or 150 GB can't be relevant  as this is outside of the root volume. Again, WinSCP does show a complete tree, easy to overview mounts and symlinks going past a volume...

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

@JBDragon1 wrote:

It's showing my Apps in /apps/

As @StephenB already mentioned - /apps/ does not reside on that root partition the warning email is about...

And you should already have seen that, since /mnt/apps is completely empty in your earlier post.  The NAS root has several mount points where portions of the data volume are mounted.  The whole point of re-mounting the root as /mnt is to let you analyze the root itself (without those mount points getting in the way).

Look in the folders I pointed you to earlier.

Message 5 of 7
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

OK, I'll start looking more as soon as I get off of work and I'll have some time until the end of the weekend before work again.  I know I got a message today that it was at 92%, so it went down 1%. Is there something I should look out for that could be eating up so much space?

It was also a week ago where for whatever reason I couldn't get on my NAS.  My password just wasn't working?!?!  So I ended up doing a OS Reinstall.  I have a new longer password.  That was working.  Then later it stopped working?!?!  I was like not again!!!  But I left it alone and came back the next day and it was working just fine again and I havn't had that problem sense.  I thought that was a little strange.

Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

The problems you are experiencing are likely all from the over-full OS partiton.  If you don't fix it fast, you may lose all access to the NAS.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements