× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issues with ReadyNAS 2 Duo / RND2000 v1

Steelbeak
Aspirant

Issues with ReadyNAS 2 Duo / RND2000 v1

Hi,

So I'm trying to get my old ReadyNAS 2 Duo / RND2000 up and running after its been collecting dust for far too long. It did have trouble right from the get go with booting properly. So, at the moment I have put two fresh & formated 2TB disks in it and followed to the instructions here to try and do a factory reset. 

So for the past 72h the NAS has been doing this:

https://i.imgur.com/cFPgsVj.mp4

My questions are; Could it be stuck? Is 72h+ normal? Should I give it more time? What could be the way forward from here?

Anywyas, any help appreciated.

Regards,

Steelbeak

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Issues with ReadyNAS 2 Duo / RND2000 v1

72+ hours is not normal.  Per the manual, the status suggests that the system is trying to boot or shutdown.  See page 22 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/Duov1_NV+v1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf

I suggest using RAIDar - if it can find the NAS, it could give more useful status.  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

Message 2 of 4
Steelbeak
Aspirant

Hi again,

I have been using RAIDar from the start (sorry for not mentioning that in the earlier post) and whilst the NAS is in the current "mode" (whatever it's doing at the moment), RAIDar is unable to detect it. My router isn't registering anything either, only my phone and computer is connected according to the router.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Steelbeak wrote:

I have been using RAIDar from the start (sorry for not mentioning that in the earlier post) and whilst the NAS is in the current "mode" (whatever it's doing at the moment), RAIDar is unable to detect it. My router isn't registering anything either, only my phone and computer is connected according to the router.

I'd power down the NAS and try again.

What disks are you using?  Many 2 TB desktop drives (and unfortunately the current WD Red drives) are SMR, which often don't work well with RAID.  Note that WD Red Plus (and Pro) use CMR, as do all Seagate Ironwolf drives.

Note if you can remove the partitions from the disks, there is no need to go through the factory default/reset path via the boot menu.  If the disks are unformatted, the Duo will automatically do a factory install. 

If you can connect the disks to a Windows PC (either with SATA or a USB adapter/dock), you can remove the partitions using the Windows disk manager ("Create and format disk partitions" in the control panel).  

Personally, I always fully test new disks before putting them in my NAS using vendor tools (Seatools for Seagate, WD's older Lifeguard utility for WDC).  I run the full non-destructive test, and then a full erase test - sometimes the erase test will pick up issues that the non-destructive test misses, and vice versa.  Unfortuately the newer WD Dashboard utility no longer does the erase test.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements