× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: JBOD discs disappear and reappear on each boot - ReadyNASRND2000v2 (2 discs)

jhbingham
Aspirant

JBOD discs disappear and reappear on each boot - ReadyNASRND2000v2 (2 discs)

Hello, 

I have a ReadyNASRND2000v2 operating in JBOD mode with two 4TB discs.  Disc 1 is named C, Disc 2 is named D.

Some time ago, (Use the uploaded JPEG for reference) when the NAS was idling Sun Jun 24 12:12:59 EDT 2018 (I was out of town) the Disc 2 just decided to randomly go offline by Disk Removal Detected.  You can see in the logs that this behaviour went on for a few times until it stopped at 12:50.  Fri Jul 13 05:24:46 EDT I power up the NAS and realise that something is weird with my Disc 2 (this is the first time I notice something is wrong)  My computer maps dont connect to PaV or Phone.

More recently, I power up the NAS again after testing Disc 2 in a caddy with free recovery software and can see that all my files are still there, so I can only assume that table header info has disappeared.  I was able to check off the data on Disc 2 to make sure I wasnt needing any of the data (which I wasn't as this data was just a 2nd backup)  During all this Disc 1 is operating totally fine.

Last night, I decide to erase Disc 2 and start it fresh.  Once thats done, I then set about backing up Disc 1.  I have two items I want to backup (as I dont have confirmed copies of this data elsewhere).  A share called "CCTV" and a personal folder called "Jonny".  The "Jonny" folder I backup via my PC to an external disc connected to my PC and that happened during the night (last night) and completed successfully (it only took 2.5hrs to complete) so effectively finished at about 3AM.

I waken up this morning and now fine my CCTV share gone...with more digging around I find that the same behaviour has happened to Disc 1 that happened previously with Disc 2.

Sun Oct 14 06:27:09 CEST (when I am still asleep) Disc 1 was removed and yes, history repeats itself.  Again, I just looked at this disc in an external caddy and can see that the data is still there, but the NAS has lost its ability to read the disc...table header info???

I'm at a complete loss for words with this NAS.  This is the 2nd ReadyNAS I bought (which was the upgrade from the first edition ReadyNASRND2000 I had.  I have already had a massive data loss with a HDD in this NAS before.  My intention last night was to back up all the data as I felt something was totally wrong with the NAS.

Has anyone any idea what the flip is going on?

Thanks in advance!

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: JBOD discs disappear and reappear on each boot - ReadyNASRND2000v2 (2 discs)

It looks like you are removing and reinserting disks with the NAS running.  You should be careful about that, as the NAS will generally reformat a disk when you insert it.

I think the next step is to power down, and test both disks with the vendor tools (seatools for seagate, lifeguard for western digital).

Message 2 of 6
jhbingham
Aspirant

Correct, disc 2 I intentially inserted when the NAS was running as I had confirmed there was no data on it that I needed.  I wanted it to be formatted to give me a clean 4TB No 2 disc.

However, what I dont understand is why, during the night, Disc 1 seemed to just go bye-bye.

Both discs were (yesterday) confirmed to be in tip-top condition via thr SMART attributes.
Using 3rd party file recovery software (ReclaiMe File Recovery)  I can 'see' the data on Disc 1 but I dont know how to get it back online within the NAS environment.  Any ideas?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Since they are jbod, they should just reappear when you power up the NAS with them inserted.

You might need to try setting up the NAS yet again from scratch and restore the data from backup.  But of course the problem might simply recur again.  

It's possible that a failing power adapter could cause disks to dismount (if there isn't enough power to keep them going).  Do you have a "scratch" disk you can use?  If so, try a factory install with just the scratch disk, and see if it happens again.  A similar idea is to boot the NAS with just one of the jbod disks installed.  If you see the files, then run it with just a single disk installed, and see if the problem recurs.

BTW, if you haven't purchased ReclaiMe yet, you might consider trying R-linux for Windows (free) or Paragon's Linux for Windows (~$20).  They won't do recovery, but they will work with healthy file systems.  If R-linux fails, that might give you more insight on what's going on.

Message 4 of 6
jhbingham
Aspirant

I am going to give R-Linux for Windows a go and see what I can see.

If I run the NAS with one of the discs installed, do I always have to have a disc in Position 1 for the NAS to function, or can I run it with Disc 2 in position 2.  I had been previously led to believe that Disc 1 in position 1 contains the OS of the NAS.  Not sure if that is true or not.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

It's best to keep the disks in their original slots.  Though the NAS should boot up even if you don't.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements