× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Just loaded readynas 516 with these drives (ST8000AS0002

rgollar
Aspirant

Just loaded readynas 516 with these drives (ST8000AS0002)

I just wanted to let people know that the readynas 516 is working just fine so far with Seagate ST8000AS0002 8TB hard drives. I so far have populated it with 4 of them and it has had no problems. Once all 6 are done I will post back to let any one that wants to know these 8tb drives work. So far with 4 populated with 8tb drives and the other 2 are 4 tb drives its working just fine.
Message 1 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Just loaded readynas 516 with these drives

Nice. So they fit properly in the drive trays and in the drive bays?

Not sure how well these drives will hold up in RAID use, but if you store important data primarily on the NAS, please backup the data. If you run into issues using disks that are not on the compatibility list support will be unable to help.
Message 2 of 16
rgollar
Aspirant

As far as fitting in the bays I had to shave off one of the plastic nubs in the middle of the quick change tray because the hard drives did not have all the holes down the side of it other then that they fit great. So far it says the X-Raid is working good.
Message 3 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Ah, we'll never add those disks to the compatibility list then. There are a few different high capacity hard disks out there that have unusual physical layouts.
Message 4 of 16
StephenB
Guru

It'd be interesting to hear how they stand up anyway, since there will be other SMR drives introduced.

Historically SMR drives have been viewed as particularly sensitive to vibration, and of course this model has that workload spec.
Message 5 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hopefully over time there will be newer disk models in these capacities with conventional physical layouts (in terms of where the holes are etc.).
Message 6 of 16
StephenB
Guru

mdgm wrote:
Hopefully over time there will be newer disk models in these capacities with conventional physical layouts (in terms of where the holes are etc.).
Yes.

FWIW, modifying the disk tray carries some risk (the plastic nubs are there for a reason...), so its not something I'd recommend..
Message 7 of 16
rgollar
Aspirant

I did put screw at the bottom of the tray after cutting the middle nub away to hold the drive more secure. Unfortunately I really need the space the 8tb drives give other wise I would have not made this move. I already maxed out my space with the 4tb drives so might as well go big as I can. I have been using readynas system for a very long time and never had a problem using a drive that was not on the spec list. I have 3 nas systems and one has speced drives and the other 2 dont. And the funny thing is the one with drives on the list to use is the one that has failed on me before. I have to say the 516 is so much faster then the readynas pro pioneer edition I have.
Message 8 of 16
StephenB
Guru

These particular drives are designed for archival / cold storage. So they might behave quite differently from the normal 4-6 TB NAS or enterprise drive.
Message 9 of 16
AndreasKa
Tutor

Interestingly, when you look at the spec sheet, it's rated for 24x7 operation.

The difference between this drive and the Enterprise Capacity drive is much lower workload rate limit, lower MTBF and lower Non-recoverable Read Errors per Bits Read rating
Message 10 of 16
StephenB
Guru

And of course the footnote:
Archive HDDs are not intended for surveillance or NAS applications, and you may experience lower performance in these environments. For these applications, Seagate NAS HDDs and Seagate Surveillance HDDs are suggested for better performance and reliability.
The reliability comment is interesting, though of course it might not have anything behind it.

I think the lower workload spec is the key here; AFAIK it is a new specification for Seagate. I haven't seen it on other datasheets, so I'm thinking they created it for this particular drive line. So it could have quite a bit of analysis/thought behind it.

180 TB per year is probably fine for many users. But if you want to stay within it, you will need to be thoughtful on disk maintenance (disk tests, defrag, balance, and scrub). Just installing them one at a time (as the OP did) puts 40-48 TB of workload on the first drive installed (depending on what else is in the system when the first drive is added). Each scrub adds another 8TB of workload for each drive. RAID of course increases the I/O for writing (bad for workload), but it also spreads both the reads and writes are evenly across all the drives (which could be good).
Message 11 of 16
zackiv31
Aspirant

Hey @rgollar. Do you have any performance stats for running these 8TBs in your server? I'm about to put 6 of these in my ReadyNAS 6 and was just hoping it could saturate the gigabit link. With just 2 disks I see speeds vary from 30-160MB/s when writing. Reads have been consistent.
Message 12 of 16
rgollar
Aspirant

I have had no problems yet as far as speeds. If I copy a file say 2 gb its stays steady at around 108-118MB/s but when I copy a file say 8gb it usually goes down to around 96MB/s but its stays steady there. What I have found is if I have used my computer alot to download stuff that I need to reboot the computer to maintain speeds. Other then that I have been running smoothly.
Message 13 of 16
zackiv31
Aspirant

Hey @rgollar. Just had one last question for you. Do you know how long/how fast your initial sync was on these drives? I just installed 6x8tb in my ReadyNAS Pro and the sync is showing something like 6 days to complete, hovering around 16MB/s sync:

root@pro:~# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
md127 : active raid6 sdf3[5] sde3[4] sdd3[3] sdc3[2] sdb3[1] sda3[0]
31236707328 blocks super 1.2 level 6, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [6/6] [UUUUUU]
[=>...................] resync = 6.4% (502031968/7809176832) finish=9243.5min speed=13174K/sec

md1 : active raid6 sdf2[5] sde2[4] sdd2[3] sdc2[2] sdb2[1] sda2[0]
2094848 blocks super 1.2 level 6, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [6/6] [UUUUUU]

md0 : active raid1 sdf1[5] sde1[4] sdd1[3] sdc1[2] sdb1[1] sda1[0]
4190208 blocks super 1.2 [6/6] [UUUUUU]

unused devices: <none>

I'm ok if this is the one time cost, but even at 15MB/s, this seems low for these drives.
Message 14 of 16
rgollar
Aspirant

I only upgraded one drive at a time. I previously had it with 4tb drives in each bay. So when I updated it I swapped one out at a time and let it up date. It took about 1 1/2 to 2 days each drive. I also waited 3 days between adding each hard drive, just to make sure there wasnt any problem before I added another drive.
Message 15 of 16
zackiv31
Aspirant

rgollar wrote:
I only upgraded one drive at a time. I previously had it with 4tb drives in each bay. So when I updated it I swapped one out at a time and let it up date. It took about 1 1/2 to 2 days each drive. I also waited 3 days between adding each hard drive, just to make sure there wasnt any problem before I added another drive.

Thanks for the info! I'm assuming you're also with X-Raid2 dual redundancy? This will be about a week for all the drives to sync.. which seems in line with your 1.5-2 days per drive.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements