× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Leaning towards Pro 6 Now More Questions

dbarkley
Aspirant

Leaning towards Pro 6 Now More Questions

I believe I like the readynas pro 6 device. But have a couple of more questions.

1. It has a 5 year warranty but what does that warranty really do for me? Does it cover next day replacement for the device?
2. Hard Drive Suggestions. I am leaning towards the 6gbs / 64mb cache but only 2TB. How important is the Rotational Vibration Safeguard? The reason I ask is I dont see any drives on the HCL with these specs that have the RVS available. What Hard Drive would you recommend when I might have 50 users accessing it?
3. Are there issues with accessing databases that are stored on this NAS device?

Thanks,
Message 1 of 3
TeknoJnky
Hero

Re: Leaning towards Pro 6 Now More Questions

#3) if you mean storing access or sqlite or some other database FILE on the nas and trying to access file with multiple clients, then yes there could be. Most database files are not designed to be stored on a nas and accessed by multiple clients due to simultianious access and locking issues (ie users try to update at same time can corrupt the db).

certain accounting softwares also use databases which are incompatible or have problems with NAS storage.

there are some work arounds that may (or may not) work for your situtation;
a) use iscsi and have a windows/linux database server connect to the iscsi to store the database. Note your clients would connect to the database server, not the iscsi. Only the database server itself would access the iscsi.

b) nas has mysql database built-in, its possible to import your database and run it directly on the nas, the clients connect to the mysql on the nas (not the database file directly).

all these issues are not readynas specific, you would encounter them with just about any nas storage server.
Message 2 of 3
dbarkley
Aspirant

Re: Leaning towards Pro 6 Now More Questions

Thanks for the information. Yes my company has a lot of access databases and I am just now starting to read a little where NAS and databases dont mix well.
I am starting to think that a NAS device would not be a good fit for my company.
Will have to keep looking and see what else I find.

thanks again
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements