× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Malware warning

2Compute
Aspirant

Malware warning

RN422

Firware 6.9.5

Antivirus feb 24, 2019 14:23:00

Nas reports:

Antivirus scanner found a threat (Doc.Malware.Sagent-6865733-0) in the file  .../409_Linzensoep.doc. Please delete the infected file soon.

Scanning with other antivirus product of related file(s) with product like Norton, Mc-Afee, Kasperky all report no mallware/virus.

Are these false positives as Symantec suggests? Which AV-software is used by Netgear. How to fix/remove both warning and mallware (if any)?

Model: RN422|ReadyNAS 422 2-Bay with up to 20 TB total storage
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Malware warning

@2Compute wrote:

Which AV-software is used by Netgear. 

ClamAV.  

You could report it at https://www.clamav.net/reports/fp

Message 2 of 7
tamthnguyen
Aspirant

Hi, I am getting the same virus warning to many of the word documents some of which has not been touched or modified for a few years. When I download and scan the file with AVAST antivirus, no virus was found?... Could this be a false possitive ?

Please advise .. anyone? ..

Thanks..Tam,

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@tamthnguyen wrote:

Could this be a false possitive ?

Likely yes, which is why I suggested reporting it to ClamAV.

Message 4 of 7
2Compute
Aspirant

FYI:

Already reported problem yesterday to ClamAV en uploaded one of the files. No reponse from ClamAv yet.

Date Antivirus meanwhile updated to feb 25 2019 11:48:17, but still the same warnings (always on MS-Word docs) 

Message 5 of 7
GKCanada
Aspirant

You guys (gals) are awesome, thank you for doing this and reporting it to others.  I'm having the same reports and I'm sure the files are OK (but how can anyone be sure these days?).

Would love to hear what ClamAv responds with.

Model: RN524X|ReadyNAS 524X Premium performance Business Data Storage
Message 6 of 7
2Compute
Aspirant

FYI: My NAS is quit again (concerning this issue) after virus-update. As mentioned in an other poster, Netgear should allow us to force upgrading to new AV-definitions manually. If this already possible, let us know how.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements