× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mapping lost of Share from a specific Account (ReadyNAS DUO RN20200)

DickfromHolland
Aspirant

Mapping lost of Share from a specific Account (ReadyNAS DUO RN20200)

Hi,

Initially a month ago I couldn’t access my NAS but that has been resolved by the SMBV1 check.

But now, since a week ago I have a problem to access my Share with account **bleep**.

I have setup 2 accounts at the NAS with the names **bleep** and Yvonne in the pasted. So, if you logged-on at Windows with the Windows account (my full name) you would see the Share folder of **bleep** (NASDICK\**bleep**) and when Yvonne logged-on at Windows she will see the folder of Yvonne (NASDICK\Yvonne). 

The problem now is that I can’t find a solution to get access to NASDICK\**bleep**. I have important data in this Share.

It looks that the NAS doesn’t link to my NASDICK\**bleep** share anymore?

I have deleted the account Yvonne on the NAS and I hoped that it would redirect the mapping to my Share with account **bleep** but it didn’t. Although I have deleted the account Yvonne it is still pointing to the folder of account Yvonne.

I have 4 Shares with the names:

1) Backup (no problem to access)

2) Gast (no problem to access)

3) Media (no problem to access)

4) Share (problem, it points to Yvonne's Share when logged-in in Windows 10 with full name of **bleep** (including family name).

Under ReadyNAS Tab Security (Accounts: **bleep** and Yvonne)

Please see also attachment.

Any ideas to solve this problem?

**bleep**

Model: RN20200|2BAY Diskless Desktop Readynas Storage
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Mapping lost of Share from a specific Account (ReadyNAS DUO RN20200)

I am somewhat puzzled by your description of the problem in the pdf.  You have no Dick or Yvonne in your share list.  Since you had accounts for both Dick and Yvonne on the NAS, I am thinking these two shares were actually private "home" shares - which don't show up in the public share list in frontview.  If so, deleting Yvonne's account on the NAS would have destroyed the data in her share.  

Anyway, I am thinking that your data was never in the public share \\NASDISK\Share, but instead it was in the private "home" share \\NASDICK\Dick.

What happens if you run the command prompt (type CMD into the windows search bar) and then type

net use * /delete /y
net use t: \\NASDICK\Dick /user:dick dickspassword

using the real password of course?  The first command terminates any open network sessions.  The second attempts to mount the share as drive letter T.

If that fails, try using both commands again, but use the NAS IP address instead of the hostname.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I am somewhat puzzled by your description of the problem in the pdf.  You have no Dick or Yvonne in your share list.  Since you had accounts for both Dick and Yvonne on the NAS, I am thinking these two shares were actually private "home" shares - which don't show up in the public share list in frontview.  If so, deleting Yvonne's account on the NAS would have destroyed the data in her share.  

Anyway, I am thinking that your data was never in the public share \\NASDISK\Share, but instead it was in the private "home" share \\NASDICK\Dick.

What happens if you run the command prompt (type CMD into the windows search bar) and then type

net use * /delete /y
net use t: \\NASDICK\Dick /user:dick dickspassword

using the real password of course?  The first command terminates any open network sessions.  The second attempts to mount the share as drive letter T.

If that fails, try using both commands again, but use the NAS IP address instead of the hostname.

Message 2 of 5
DickfromHolland
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

Many thanks for your help! I would say: "I'll vote you for President". 

This command solved the problem and I'm now into my original home Share \\NASDICK\**bleep**

and have access again to all my files.

I'm really happy that you resolved my issue. 

By the way. I secured all data from Yvonne before I deleted account Yvonne on the NAS.

Do I need to do something to get directly access to this home Share **bleep** when I reboot NAS and Windows 10?

Thanks,

**bleep**

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@DickfromHolland wrote:

Do I need to do something to get directly access to this home Share **bleep** when I reboot NAS and Windows 10?

There are two options. 

One is to create a public share (named something else) and move your files into it.  You can create access controls on that share if you need them.  After that's done, you can disable SMB for the "home" share in the share list, and the private share will disappear.

The other is to go into the Windows Credential Manager on the PC.  Delete any credentials that are there for the NAS.  Then create new Windows credentials - one using the NAS hostname, and the other using it's IP address.  Set the username to "Dick", and use the NAS password for that account.  Then when you access the NAS, you should see the share in the list of folders.

Personally I find the private home share feature to be more trouble than it's worth (it has more value for a company than it has for home users).  So I'd go with the first option. You might still need to go into the Credential Manager, and reset the credentials for the NAS though.

Message 4 of 5
DickfromHolland
Aspirant

Many thanks for you advice. I'll go for the Public Share option as you suggested.

Thanks,

**bleep**

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements