× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Memory test ReadyNAS Ultra 2

paltrude
Aspirant

TheSwede86 wrote:
Hi guys!

Have you used any guide for installing extra memory (breakdown chart etc.)?
Also I am going to run kmotion with 4 wireless IP-cameras as well as Sabnzb+/Couchpotato/Sickbeard and stream movies to my Raspberry Pi (running Raspbmc), do you think I will benefit from a memory upgrade?

As I read here earlier I am thinking about going for the Kingston 2048MB DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz (KVR1333D3S8S9/2G), any objections?
I can't seem to find the speed for the stock memory, does anyone know this?

I just opened the side covers, it was easy. Just remember to disconnect from the power grid and make sure you are not static yourself.

Streaming does benefit from more RAM, how much however is hard to tell as it depends on many things. It depends on the LAN-switches and routers, it depends on your clients hardware, etc.

Well, I am still running this memory and it works just fine for me. The speeds of the memory isn't an issue as the BIOS (eg the ReadyNAS firmware/OS) matches the clock speeds to the CPU. It think the Kingston RAM is capable of more than the CPU though, so it is downclocked to match the CPU? Not sure here.

Make sure you are running Radiator 4.2.21 (or later), as I am, because I have not tried the RAM with earlier versions.

EDIT: DO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP OF ALL THINGS ON THE READYNAS.
Message 26 of 39
fastfwd
Virtuoso

The stock memory module in my Ultra 2 Plus was a 1GB Asint SSY3128M8-EAE1D; I replaced it with a 2GB Crucial CT25664BC1067. Works great, lasts a long time, costs only $11 from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KB6Z2U/

If you can't get that particular module for some reason, here are the important things to look for. Your module must meet all of these specs:

• 2GB 204-pin DDR3 SODIMM. Larger than 2GB won't work.

• 1066MHz speed, often expressed as "PC3-8500". Faster modules (higher numbers) are fine; they'll adjust their timing parameters (lower CAS latency, etc.) to function exactly like a 1066MHz module.

• Non-ECC, unbuffered.

• 256x64 memory organization, single rank. Dual-rank modules (the 16-chip modules mentioned in earlier posts) apparently don't work.

• 1.5V operation. A 1.35V module is ok only if the manufacturer guarantees it to also run at 1.5V.

Make sure the NAS is unplugged before you open it up, and wear an anti-static wrist strap when you work on this or any other piece of electronic equipment, especially if you live someplace cold and dry. Amazon sells really nice wrist straps for like $6; that's a lot less than the cost of a new NAS.
Message 27 of 39
polux400
Aspirant

Hi guys,

Did you found the 4gb RAM to put into our nice Ultra 2 ?

i'm really interested ! My system is always at full load RAM.

Thank you !
Message 28 of 39
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The RAM is supposed to be all used. The RAM is used for caching to improve performance.
Message 29 of 39
polux400
Aspirant

and the performances are improve with additional RAM ?
Message 30 of 39
arnomc
Aspirant

I am currently looking to find locally 4GB DDR3 upgrade for my readyNAS Ultra 2 (RNDU2000 bought in the end of 2011 so with a 1.5GHz..:/).
Anyway i found one in a shop which was kind enough to let me try before buying. It was a Kingmax sodimm module 4GB 1333Mhz and with 8 chips total (4 per side). I was pretty sure it would work but unfortunately it didn't ! So I really thank the guy to have been kind enough to let me try in his shop before buying it!!

Is there anyone up there who find a working 4GB module ?
Message 31 of 39
JarnoG
Guide

I eventually settled for 2GB and it's been working quite nicely. Those aren't very expensive, so you can just get one of those mentioned in earlier posts and see if it's working well enough for you
Message 32 of 39
fastfwd
Virtuoso

arnomc wrote:
I am currently looking to find locally 4GB DDR3 upgrade for my readyNAS Ultra 2

The Ultra 2 will not support a 4GB module; 2GB is the limit for that model.
Message 33 of 39
InTheShires
Tutor

fastfwd wrote:
arnomc wrote:
I am currently looking to find locally 4GB DDR3 upgrade for my readyNAS Ultra 2

The Ultra 2 will not support a 4GB module; 2GB is the limit for that model.

According to some posts a while ago by Beisser, it was claimed that 4gb modules could be used in the Atom D525 and D410 ranges

I never found a working solution, so made do with the 2gb upgrade as I grew bored buying and sending back RAM that wasn't working/suitable.

If a 4gb module is ever sourced, then you'll see many happy posters on here!
Message 34 of 39
fastfwd
Virtuoso

InTheShires wrote:
According to some posts a while ago by Beisser, it was claimed that 4gb modules could be used in the Atom D525 and D410 ranges

Interesting. When I looked in the D400/D500 datasheet, it appeared that the chips would support 4GB total, but only 2GB per slot. And since the Ultra 2 and Ultra 2 Plus have only one slot...
Message 35 of 39
arnomc
Aspirant

Mhhh, I admit that recently i am a bit disappointed by this Ultra2 (non-Pro) !
First Netgear changed the CPU in may 2011 from a 1.8 to a 1.5 Ghz without even changing the specs page on it's own website (i just discovered it last month when looking about the writing speed not as high as expected).
Second now the 4GB seems falls and limited to upgrade to only 2BG (again website specs..)
And they are still selling these ! It's not like it was a product in the end of his "commercial life".
At least i can still enjoy the sturdiness of the metal chassis !

EDIT : here is what i see in SSH with command cat /meminfo :
"address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual"
Could it help to determine if it's 4GB limit or 2GB limit per slot of ddr ?
Message 36 of 39
arnomc
Aspirant

I finally end up with a 2GB samsung DDR3 1200S-11-11-B2 with 4 chips on each side (8 total). It's working perfectly. Just a thought : considering how a NAS use so few memory, there is more than enough avalaible RAM to instal a ton of add ons ! And writing speed isn't really increased, perhaps a few seconds of write caching..(for this i believe the settings of journalised or write cache are much more effective).
Message 37 of 39
rnas_newbie
Aspirant

the following does "not" work on
Readynas Ultra 2 Plus (1.8 dual core) - fail
Readynas Ultra 2 (1.5 single core) - fail

memory = Hynix 4gb 2Rx8 pc3-10600s-9-10-f2 : hmt351s6bfr8c (a couple of people have said that this unit may work on the 31x units)

if anyone has been able to get a 4gb to work on a Readynas Ultra 2 plus, I'd be grateful for the chip info.
I'm continuing to run both units with 2gb ram, using the chips already mentioned in earlier posts.
Message 38 of 39
soulshots
Aspirant

Transcend JetRam JM1333KSN-2G 2 GB 1 x 2 GB DDR3-RAM 1333 MHz CL9 9-9-24 is working on my Ultra 2.
Message 39 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements