× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Memory test on RN104: should I wait or should I worry?

CraftWorks
Aspirant

Memory test on RN104: should I wait or should I worry?

Hello everybody,

I've decided to run a memory test on my good ol' ReadyNas 104 (I'd never done it before).

Now, it's been runing for almost 12 hours, and nothing changed from the very first moment: the power button still flashes and the LCD still shows "Memory Test 00:00:01".

The question is: should I give it some more time  or should I start worrying?

Thanks and regards,

CraftWorks

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @CraftWorks

The test usually runs for a total of 4 hours before it gives a result, This might be a good time to try to check the logs. You can send it to us via PM using a download link. 

You may want to try running it once more but if it shows the same behavior, it might be time to contact Support if you still have the Hardware Warranty.

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @CraftWorks

The test usually runs for a total of 4 hours before it gives a result, This might be a good time to try to check the logs. You can send it to us via PM using a download link. 

You may want to try running it once more but if it shows the same behavior, it might be time to contact Support if you still have the Hardware Warranty.

Regards

Message 2 of 4
CraftWorks
Aspirant

Hi @Marc_V

First of all, thanks for your reply.

Secondly, my RN104 is 5 years old, so obviously it's out of warranty.

The actual reason I decided to run a memory test was the fact that two weeks ago I had a severe corruption of the BTRFS structure (while copying some files from an external portable drive) and all my data was gone (luckily I had an almost up-to-date backup), with the dreadful message "Volume is inactive".

I wanted to take advantage of this (unwanted) situation and I've read (and learned) a lot on BTRFS, its corruption and the possible ways (commands) one can try to repair it. I've tried everything (cautiously using the "dangerous" commands), with no luck. (By the way, I've been working on a set of clones of the original disks.)

So, after two weeks of trials and sweat, I decided to do a factory reset. Before doing it I decided to run the memory test, and this failed. If there is indeed a problem with the RAM, this might also explain the sudden filesystem corruption.

Although I've already marked this case as "solved", I'd like use your generous offer to take a look at the logs.
Which one(s) shoud I send (the one downloaded through the GUI, the dmesg one or the ones in /var/log/)?

Thanks again and best regards,
CraftWorks

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@CraftWorks wrote:

Which one(s) shoud I send (the one downloaded through the GUI, the dmesg one or the ones in /var/log/)?

It's best to download the full log zip file if you can.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements