× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Migrate from NV+ to RNDX4000

xnetdude
Aspirant

Migrate from NV+ to RNDX4000

Hi,

We currently have a Ready NAS+ with 4 x WDC WD20EARS (2GB each) drives using XRAID-2.

We would like to move the existing NAS to a different set of users and want to replace it with the RNDX4000 but maintain the existing data, so the question is can we simply remove the four drives from the NV+ and slot them into the new NAS and insert new drives into the NV+?

We also use the Vault backup service so can this be transferred to the new NAS also?

Thanks.

James.
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Migrate from NV+ to RNDX4000

Message 2 of 6
PapaBear1
Guide

Oops! His link is to migrating disks from one platform to another NAS of the same platform. There are two platforms, the original sparc based platform (Duo/NV+ still in current production) and the x-86 based platform (Ultra/Ultra Plus/Pro series currently in production). The best way to do it, is to populate the NVX with the new drives (use ones from the HCL) and then set up a backup job to copy the data from the NV+ to the NVX. For the copy over, I would use the NFS option and after the copy is done, switch to rsysnc and run it again. The initial copy will take a number of hours, but NFS is infinitely faster for the initial copy than rsync. However, rsync is very fast once the the initial copy is done. I use rsync to synchronize the data on my two NVX units every night, and part of the data to my NV+ the next day at noon.

Of course, if your current set of users on the NV+ are satisfied with the speed, it would be easier to just place the NVX with the different set of users. You will also have to go through the configuration set up from scratch. Of course if you are moving the NVX in to replace the NV+, you can set up so that you can look at the settings on each page of the NV+ configuration and then enter the same settings on the NVX. While Frontview looks the same on both units, they file structure and code underneath is vastly different. Those who have attempted to copy from an NV+ and load the configuration onto an x-86 based unit, have had to perform a factory default to restore the new unit to an operational status.

I will assume that you have an adequate back up plan for both units.
Message 3 of 6
xnetdude
Aspirant

Thanks for the details guys - was hoping it was an easy swap. May now rethink things a little.
Message 4 of 6
PapaBear1
Guide

BTW - if you have not purchased the NVX, while it is a good unit, it is also a discontinued unit. It is an x-86 based unit (32 bit) while all the current Ultra/Ultra Plus/Pro series are 64 bit x-86 units and are a bit faster. While the changeover can be a bit time consuming (it took me the better part of the day) it will be worth it in the long run as you will benefit from increased speed and future growth. The NV+ will never be able to support larger than 2TB drives while the x-86 can support 3TB current (none larger on the market yet) and should go up from there as drives grow.

If you go with the NVX, make sure your vendor gives a nice discount. Shop around and see what the prices for the Pro 4 (RNDP4000) is. It would have similar features, but with a dual core Atom D510 processor.
Message 5 of 6
xnetdude
Aspirant

Cool, thanks again.

Not purchased yet so will take your advice onboard.

Regards,

James.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements