× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Migrate from RN102 to RN214

Fomas
Follower

Migrate from RN102 to RN214

I currently have an RN102 running on an X-raid volume with two WD RED 3TB disks.

I plan on purchasing an RN21400 device.

If I understand correctly:

- Because both systems are ARM CPU based I can just put the disks of my current system in the new system?

- If I purchase 2 additional disks I can just expand my X-raid volume with the size of those 2 new disks?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Migrating-from-RN102-to-RN214/m-p/1...

https://kb.netgear.com/22895/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Migrating-a-volume

On the other hand, the KB states that you should make sure the new system is on the ReadyNAS OS6 system. But if I understand correctly the ReadyNAS OS is installed on the disks in the system?

Or is that not the case on the newer systems and is it installed there on seperate storage in the NAS system?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Migrate from RN102 to RN214

@Fomas

Welcome to the Community!

You are right, both units are running on ARM processors which both have OS6 Systems on them so transferring your disks from your RN102 to the RN214 is as easy as plugging the drives directly to the RN214.

It is recommended though to initiate the RN214 first before migrating the drives. You can do that by using a spare disk to initialize the NAS and update the FW version to the latest. It would be best if both NAS are on the latest before doing any transfers/migration.

It's also a good thing your RAID is configured on X-RAID so it will automatically expand and change it's RAID level once you add new drives.

Backing up your data before doing anything is also advise.

HTH

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Migrate from RN102 to RN214

@Fomas

Welcome to the Community!

You are right, both units are running on ARM processors which both have OS6 Systems on them so transferring your disks from your RN102 to the RN214 is as easy as plugging the drives directly to the RN214.

It is recommended though to initiate the RN214 first before migrating the drives. You can do that by using a spare disk to initialize the NAS and update the FW version to the latest. It would be best if both NAS are on the latest before doing any transfers/migration.

It's also a good thing your RAID is configured on X-RAID so it will automatically expand and change it's RAID level once you add new drives.

Backing up your data before doing anything is also advise.

HTH

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements